BBC College of Comedy 2 Page 13

Quote: Biggirlsblouse @ May 4 2009, 10:08 PM BST

Ah, so I've been kicked out of last year's thread into this one.

Submitted mine last week. Ironically, the same day I went for a meeting with a top producer and they want to option the script I sent as my writing example...and take it to the BBC.

Have held off from taking the option, just in case I get onto the CoC scheme and it causes a potential conflict.

But part of me thinks I should take the money and deal with that admittedly unlikely scenario if/when I come to it.

That's not a problem because there would be no conflict.

Cheers Steve and Micheal.

But what if that's the same script that you want to develop at the CoC? Just seems to overcomplicate things if I take the option before I know about the CoC.

Quote: Biggirlsblouse @ May 5 2009, 12:50 PM BST

Cheers Steve and Micheal.

But what if that's the same script that you want to develop at the CoC? Just seems to overcomplicate things if I take the option before I know about the CoC.

The script you send in with your application isn't for development on the course. It's just used as selection criteria.

Dolly is right as usual.

Quote: Micheal Jacob @ May 5 2009, 1:19 PM BST

Dolly is right as usual.

Out of bystander interest. Is the arc of the course then about designing a sitcom from the ground up - and then building one as it were. So that there are stages working towards the final showcase?

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ May 5 2009, 12:56 PM BST

The script you send in with your application isn't for development on the course. It's just used as selection criteria.

I understand that, Dolly. What I mean is - what if the script I sent as my writing example is my best work and the one I'd want to develop within the CoC?

After all, I imagine with the selection criteria so high, pretty much everyone has sent in their best work?

I imagine the asnwer lies in the question I posed, else it would be a problem.

Agreed Marc.

I would assume that the CoC encourage the entrants to develop the ideas that they bring with them. At least that's how I read it in the brief.

BGB

Presumably this is the script you have submitted. What is the production company offering you exactly, and who are they?

Maybe the presumption is that you'd have more than one idea? :)

Also, I thought the course emphasis was on writing for other shows and being mentored by established talent, as a learning experience. The BBC then have first look rights on your scriopts for a year or something like that.

@Marc - they're offering me a couple of grand for a year's option. Rather not say who on a public messageboard but it's an established company with a good track record.

@dolly - I appreciate that, but if a script is good you don't want to just cast it aside simply for the sake of it. After all, the brief does mention that you will 'be mentored in the development of an original script, which will be showcased at the end of the scheme, and for which a fee will be paid'.

If you're locked into an option with an outside company, that's where the potential conflict lies.

Quote: Biggirlsblouse @ May 5 2009, 3:28 PM BST

@Marc - they're offering me a couple of grand for a year's option. Rather not say who on a public messageboard but it's an established company with a good track record.

@dolly - I appreciate that, but if a script is good you don't want to just cast it aside simply for the sake of it. After all, the brief does mention that you will 'be mentored in the development of an original script, which will be showcased at the end of the scheme, and for which a fee will be paid'.

If you're locked into an option with an outside company, that's where the potential conflict lies.

Take their money and shake their hands quickly.

Quote: Biggirlsblouse @ May 5 2009, 3:28 PM BST

@If you're locked into an option with an outside company, that's where the potential conflict lies.

But, from what I understand, it's not about developing the script you've sent in, that's just to prove your chops; during the course you begin and develop a new script, so there is no conflict. That's how I understand it anyway.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 5 2009, 3:43 PM BST

But, from what I understand, it's not about developing the script you've sent in, that's just to prove your chops; during the course you begin and develop a new script, so there is no conflict. That's how I understand it anyway.

Exactly. There's nothing to stop you working on another script independently and if the production company option it and pay you now I can't see it will interfer with the first look deal. Anyway Biggirlsblouse, you might not even get on the CoC course. ;)

I'd agree with Marc. Take the money and the credibility that comes with having a script optioned. Worst case scenario you could loose out on the option and not get picked for the school of comedy.

I had a sitcom script optioned for no money so they're obviously serious about your project to offer hard cash up front.