Current radio comedy Page 74

Quote: chipolata @ September 2 2011, 10:02 AM BST

What on earth are Radio 4 up to with the 6:30 slot? This week we've had Fags, Mags and Bags - borderline passable; The Castle - so cliched and contrived it could be a Sitcom Mission winner; and My Teenage Diary - dire dire dire. Worst early evening line up I can remember for a while.

Agreed. The Castle was the dullest thing I've heard in a long time. Bits of it seemed very similar to Blackadder ('"Yes it is", not, "That it be"') but not in a good way.

Actually I thought Michael Winner was quite interesting on 'My Teenage Diary' but I did want to say, 'They're laughing AT you, not WITH you'.

Listened to all of 'Party' - series 1; loved it.

Quote: Kaytee @ September 2 2011, 12:46 PM BST

Agreed. The Castle was the dullest thing I've heard in a long time. Bits of it seemed very similar to Blackadder ('"Yes it is", not, "That it be"') but not in a good way.

Actually I thought Michael Winner was quite interesting on 'My Teenage Diary' but I did want to say, 'They're laughing AT you, not WITH you'.

Agreed.

Its been dreadful the 6.30 slot for months now

:S

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 2 2011, 1:26 PM BST

Listened to all of 'Party' - series 1; loved it.

Correct.

Do try 'Fags Mags and Bags' amazing fast Glasgow comedy! ;)

Quote: Kaytee @ September 2 2011, 12:46 PM BST

I thought it was far more like Bleak Expectations...but not in a good way.

Quote: Nogget @ September 3 2011, 4:16 AM BST

I thought it was far more like Bleak Expectations...but not in a good way.

In horse racing parlance it's by Blackadder out of Bleak Expectations, with the wit and invention of the parental line completely absent from the offspring.

Quote: dellas @ September 3 2011, 4:12 AM BST

Do try 'Fags Mags and Bags' amazing fast Glasgow comedy! ;)

I've heard a couple of these. It's pleasant enough but I keep thinking of Navid's shop in Still Game. Why does everything remind me of something else?

Quote: Kaytee @ September 3 2011, 3:15 PM BST

It's pleasant enough but I keep thinking of Navid's shop in Still Game. Why does everything remind me of something else?

Because it's the guy who plays Navid in it?

I don't listen to radio. But I think if I did, I'd listen to When the Dog Dies and Cabin Presrure

Quote: Snork @ September 4 2011, 11:20 AM BST

I don't listen to radio. But I think if I did, I'd listen to When the Dog Dies and Cabin Pressure

You could always listen to them on the iPlayer, or through digital TV.

Quote: Nil Putters @ September 3 2011, 5:53 PM BST

Because it's the guy who plays Navid in it?

Is it? That might explain it...

:)

I listened to What To Do If You're Not Like Everybody Else, with Andrew Lawrence on Radio 4 last night. It was really very funny.

Quote: Trabs @ September 8 2011, 10:01 AM BST

I listened to What To Do If You're Not Like Everybody Else, with Andrew Lawrence on Radio 4 last night. It was really very funny.

I thought it was good but a lot of the jokes relied on hoary old "pullback and reveals"... and it was my dad!
... and that was my nan! etc, etc.