Current radio comedy Page 78

:O OH I like Mr Self.

The News Quiz Christmas Special. Oh dear.

I wish The Unbelievable Truth would stop using these stupid American laws as facts - none of these are true.

I think I must be missing the point as everyone else round here seems to like it. I tried Party today and I gave up after 14 minutes because the urge to throw something at them became too much.

Quote: chipolata @ December 30 2011, 6:19 PM GMT

The News Quiz Christmas Special. Oh dear.

It had its moments, but the incestuous, in-house Radio 4 concept wore out its welcome. The best of these panto specials was done by ISIHAC a number of years ago.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ January 2 2012, 6:51 PM GMT

I wish The Unbelievable Truth would stop using these stupid American laws as facts - none of these are true.

They've turned them into a running gag. As the series has progressed, they've played faster and looser with "facts". All in the cause of some fun.

Quote: italophile @ January 3 2012, 7:45 AM GMT

It had its moments, but the incestuous, in-house Radio 4 concept wore out its welcome.

True, it felt lazy and underwritten. Even the puns were lacking; if you're having a torture-based version of Just a Minute, why have Nicholas Parsons say "Welcome to Your Interrogation" when he could welcome them to, say, 'Just a Torment'?

I'm pretty sure Mark Steel's down that "When we brought it, it was just a barn" gag in an earlier episode of Mark Steel's in Town - and probably in other series too.

I Regress. Great title, okay show. Bit predictable and nothing laugh out loud, but a nice easy listen.

The continuity announcer thing passed the time but Directors Commentary covered similar ground far more effectively.

Heresy's not exactly a barrel of laughs but Sue Perkins taking the piss out of Victoria Coren's Wagnerian Rings joke was funny.

Found a interesting little piece. A Short Gentleman R4. Dramatised reading.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ January 2 2012, 6:51 PM GMT

Since most people rely on Wikipedia and Google for their facts, using books on obscure American laws seems just as trustworthy. And if they haven't been revoked then they are true-that's what laws are.

Quote: Tim Azure @ January 5 2012, 10:25 PM GMT

Since most people rely on Wikipedia and Google for their facts, using books on obscure American laws seems just as trustworthy. And if they haven't been revoked then they are true-that's what laws are.

It's not so much that they haven't be revoked - it's more to do with the fact that they never came into force in the first place and someone just made them up.

Not everything worked on Meanwhile, it's Will & Greg, in fact some sketches missed the mark by quite a wide margin, but overall it was a promising start. I particularly liked the mountain rescuers going back for chocolate and the man who took a random farmer with him on his date.

Quote: chipolata @ January 5 2012, 11:27 PM GMT

Not everything worked on Meanwhile, it's Will & Greg, in fact some sketches missed the mark by quite a wide margin, but overall it was a promising start. I particularly liked the mountain rescuers going back for chocolate and the man who took a random farmer with him on his date.

The random farmer was about the first and last idea that tickled me. I think they're in need of a script editor or someone to help them develop the ideas with potential and cull the stuff that isn't worth pursuing. I'd file the etiquette-obsessed hostage negotiator in the former category, for example, and the comeback king in the latter.

Listened to some sword and sorcery tosh last night called, I think, Elvenquest. How to take aim at a target the size of a house and miss.