Rising Damp Page 8

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ May 24 2013, 12:12 AM BST

It's quite probably the best ITV sitcom of the lot.

The Goodies?

I don't get this quite possibly or one of the best nonsense I keep seeing here about RD, it is very easily the best ITV sitcom ever, better than 90% of BBC sitcoms too. There wasn't a dull episode made untill the 4th series which didn't have Alan in and had lost its sparkle.

On The Buses was the best ITV sitcom. A pleasure to see this again.
Rigsby is the 2nd best sitcom character of all time. Del Boy beating him.

I hope that they never, EVER attempt a remake of this. Even just holding a meeting about it would be a step too far, ok?

I'd hunt down and murder in cold blood anyone that dares to perform such a blasphemy

A revival would be good.It is a shame it wasn't on the BBC.I think the cast perfect suited.Did Leonard Rossiter not like some of the cast members.

Quote: David Smith @ May 25 2013, 3:14 PM BST

A revival would be good.It is a shame it wasn't on the BBC.I think the cast perfect suited.Did Leonard Rossiter not like some of the cast members.

Not as far as I know. He didn't suffer fools gladly, but wanted everyone to put in as much work as he did. Seems fair, really.

That's what I thought. Many actors are like that and can get an iffy responnse from other less rigorous types but generally I think they get respect for turning up knowing their lines and cues perfectly. Many can't do that, evidently Arthur Lowe was one but put in inspired performances to make up for it. It just comes down to personality.

Rossiter was sublime and I see no need to recreate what was perfect and is still perfectly watchable. Do we need to repaint the Mona Lisa in modern clothes? I have been watching a lot of Rossiter lately, such a consummate and pitch perfect performer. Even in his less high profile roles he is wonderful, e.g. Tripper's Day and The Losers. P.S. The quality of The Losers Network DVD is very iffy, but at least it is watchable. P.P.S. Watch 'Machinegunner', it is Rossiter at his wonderful best.

Quote: Pingl @ May 25 2013, 9:04 PM BST

P.S. The quality of The Losers Network DVD is very iffy, but at least it is watchable.

IIRC, it was wiped entirely and only exists thanks to off-air recordings. I've not bought the DVD yet, but am incredibly grateful to Network for going to the trouble of releasing such a title.