Rising Damp Page 9

Quote: Aaron @ May 25 2013, 9:36 PM BST

IIRC, it was wiped entirely and only exists thanks to off-air recordings. I've not bought the DVD yet, but am incredibly grateful to Network for going to the trouble of releasing such a title.

I'm not complaining merely warning that it is for fans only as the quality is not up to general standards

Talking off stuff being wiped, do you know about this

"Labour MP Tom Pendry won a libel action against the programme when it portrayed a Labour Party candidate (played by Michael Ward) with his surname in an unflattering light. Pendry's name is edited out of the broadcast version when it is repeated. The episode in question Stand Up and Be Counted was the final episode of the first series, and was first broadcast on 27 December 1974. Today's copies of the episode are taken from an NTSC copy returned from Canada, after the original PAL videotape was deliberately wiped by Yorkshire Television because of the offence caused. It was never intended to be broadcast in the UK again. However, the candidate's name has been edited out of broadcast and DVD versions, his name on a document digitally painted out, and the closing credits remade with his character listed as "Labour Candidate".

Yes. Frustrating revisionism.

It wasn't on the video box set of the series. But, to be honest, despite the novelty of seeing it/having it finally released, it's not a particularly good episode, in my opinion.

It must still exist somewhere. I think they stored the tape not destroyed it.

I've only just watched this properly recently as I was always of the thought that I wasn't a fan of Leonard Rossiter. I couldn't have been more wrong, it's just shot up to near the top of my favourites and Rossiter's performance as Rigsby is sublime.

Isn't it just?

I never ever use the word genius with regard to actors - he is the exception

Should have been a huge international star

I guess he wasn't good looking enough!

I don't think the word genius applies to many in comedy, for writing Milligan, Galton and Simpson, Peter Cook, for comic acting definitely Rossiter and Barker. There are a few others but they are few and far between

Quote: lofthouse @ May 29 2013, 10:23 PM BST

Isn't it just?

I never ever use the word genius with regard to actors - he is the exception

Should have been a huge international star

I guess he wasn't good looking enough!

I've always thought there isn't a single movie Jack Nicholson's made that wouldn't have worked equally well starring Rossiter instead.

He would have been brilliant in Chinatown; Cuckoo's Nest; The Shining; Batman, etc.

Titter.

For me his genius lies in the little things he does more than anything. The way he stands, the nods and gestures and wiping his nose when somebody else is talking, all seemingly normal things but that I wouldn't mind betting had as much thought behind them as what was on the page. Not many actors can entertain you when they're not really doing anything, he does.

Best scene? Of course difficult, but for me it is when he pretends to be hypnotized and does a Humphrey Bogart impression, almost losing his teeth. I nearly died laughing.

Quite a bit about Rising Damp on the BBC4's Mark Lawson show featuring Frances DLT. Deffo worth a watch.

Thanks for the heads-up! I'd wondered about watching it, now certainly will. :)

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 11th January 2015, 10:14 PM GMT

Quite a bit about Rising Damp on the BBC4's Mark Lawson show featuring Frances DLT. Deffo worth a watch.

Never miss his interviews - he has the knack of making them so interesting by asking the right questions and clearly listens to the replies.