Rising Damp Page 11

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 28th March 2016, 12:10 PM BST

how odd that Frances de la Tour should be in the audience of Loot on the night that he died.

I saw that production too, earlier in the run.

Quote: George Kaplan @ 28th March 2016, 2:47 PM BST

I saw that production too, earlier in the run.

Wow! So how was it? :)

Well, obviously it was quite some time ago. I probably wrote about it in my diary, but that's not accessible right now.

I was a big fan of Rossiter (especially Rising Damp) and Joe Orton as well, so it was a no-brainer to go along. I think it was in one of the smaller, but nice West End theatres, which surprised me. It was a matinee, and easy to get a ticket - would probably be far more difficult these days, with a TV star performing in a classic.

Rossiter was excellent, but the role didn't give him the full scope for his immense talents. Orton's work is very mannered, with clever lines, which you could see R enjoyed delivering. As it's a farce, the character (Inspector Truscott) could show exasperation, incomprehension, suspicion, and similar feelings, and you could see the wheels and cogs whirling in his brain as he examined the situations and responses.

He's also an actor with immense energy, restlessness really, which moved things along nicely.

But the role didn't give him the chance to show other qualities he excels at - vulnerability, and a kind of yearning innocence, while simultaneously being incredibly funny.

So while it was special to have seen one of my comedy heroes in the flesh, I would have loved to have also seen him in a more complex, multi-layered role.

How nice to have such memories. :) I presume the theatre was The Lyric as per the Forever documentary?

Has anyone seen Tripper's Day?

Quote: lofthouse @ 28th March 2016, 5:45 PM BST

Has anyone seen Tripper's Day?

Yes. And you can, too. https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/trippers_day/shop/1661/trippers_day_the_complete_series/

Yes but is it any good??

Well it's no Rising Damp. It's a quirky, warm, fun little show, and of course Rossiter's performance is a joy. But it won't be going down as an all-time classic.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 28th March 2016, 5:30 PM BST

How nice to have such memories. :) I presume the theatre was The Lyric as per the Forever documentary?

Initial run was at the Ambassadors -

In November 1983, the small, compact Ambassadors Theatre in West St., London, SW2, became home to The Little Theatre Of Comedy, with founder members inclding such actors as John Alderton, Richard Briers, Judi Dench, Eric Sykes, and Leonard Rossiter. It was here, on March 8th 1984 that the theatre's production of Joe Orton's Loot opened, starring Leonard, Gemma Craven, Paul McGann and Neil Pearson.

http://www.leonardrossiter.com/Loot.html

Can anyone clarify if there was a particular scene I think I saw on Rising Damp. It's a hazy memory but Rigsby and Miss Jones are talking and he then leaves and there is a loud crashing sound of him falling down some stairs or it could be falling off a ladder or chair. For a long time I had thought it was the cause of Leonard Rossiter's death but I now know that is not the case. I don't think the show was transmitted live either so if something like that did happen it wouldn't have been shown.

Is there a scene like that in Rising Damp or have I imagined it?

Yes I'm pretty sure there is a such a scene, and it's a set-up to a scripted joke, not an accident.

Quote: Aaron @ 28th March 2016, 8:26 PM BST

Yes I'm pretty sure there is a such a scene, and it's a set-up to a scripted joke, not an accident.

Cheers for confirming the scene exists. I must have had a dream about it in the wrong context.

I have a vague recollection that he trips over Vienna at the top of the stairs.

It is the last few moments of the film version.

It is, in the words of Virgil, totally awesome. Anyone who finds it offensive is encouraged to consider the terms 'in context', 'pillory as satire' and 'f**k off you PC f**ker'.