Writing for Newsjack (aka 7 on 7) Page 4

Quote: Blenkinsop @ February 19 2009, 5:17 PM GMT

Yes agree with the quick turn around being key here. Topical by its nature indicates very short shelf life.

A hot story today is yesterday's news tomorrow...

Very true. I had a cracking gag about Facebook which was almost immediately ruined by their U-turn.

Are the sketches they want now to be used for the show, or are they just a calling card?

I imagine it would depend on whether or not they are still topical when it comes to recording!

Quote: Afinkawan @ February 20 2009, 10:46 AM GMT

I imagine it would depend on whether or not they are still topical when it comes to recording!

Exactly! Is the show to be recorded in the same week its broadcast? If so, doesn't that mean there'll be a chance to submit each week, or are they planning to then pick writers from these first submissions who they'll then allow to submit each week? I'm really confused....

That's the bit we don't know yet.

This is purely a guess but I reckon they will pick some potentials from these submissions, bung them through the workshop and nurture them through the series (writers' meetings, an assigned script editor, feedback etc.) but also allow other submissions.

Quote: Afinkawan @ February 20 2009, 10:52 AM GMT

That's the bit we don't know yet.

This is purely a guess but I reckon they will pick some potentials from these submissions, bung them through the workshop and nurture them through the series (writers' meetings, an assigned script editor, feedback etc.) but also allow other submissions.

I doubt if I'll bother - I've got a lot of other stuff going on and it doesn't matter how many sketches BBC radio likes or uses of mine, I never seem to get invited to any of the other stuff. :)

Surely it's worth a go for the sake of three quick sketches?

Quote: Afinkawan @ February 20 2009, 11:02 AM GMT

Surely it's worth a go for the sake of three quick sketches?

Maybe. :) I hate not having a style or angle to work to though...

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ February 20 2009, 11:12 AM GMT

Maybe. :) I hate not having a style or angle to work to though...

I think they are interested in their own.

I'm interested to know when they decide on the successful applicants. Is it before the masterclass or after it?

Quote: ContainsNuts @ February 20 2009, 11:46 AM GMT

I think they are interested in their own.

Own style? That's would I like to use - think it might help get stuff chosen. :) Nobody ever wants my style. :(

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ February 20 2009, 12:12 PM GMT

Own style? That's would I like to use - think it might help get stuff chosen. :) Nobody ever wants my style. :(

Sorry that was my mistake. I meant your own style. :)

Thanks for the help Afinkawan & Mikey J. Attachments it is.

Actually even harder than doing sketches is doing a little bio of yourself. Summing up your life in a few lines. I wonder if we are supposed to say a bit about ourselves in the body of the letter? Just performing/writing experience-not a wistful stroll down memory lane. Cool

I guess you could if you wanted but the person reading the emails is unlikely to be the person reading the sketches. I just said a sort of "HelloherearemysketchesIhopeyoulikethembye."

I usually just say: "f**king broadcast it." and that's all, is that wrong?

Quote: Afinkawan @ February 20 2009, 3:02 PM GMT

I just said a sort of "HelloherearemysketchesIhopeyoulikethembye."

Quote: ContainsNuts @ February 20 2009, 3:29 PM GMT

I usually just say: "f**king broadcast it." and that's all, is that wrong?

I've always assumed readers want a long rambling mini epic on how 'well cool' this is and what great ideas I have for a prime time 22 part comedy-drama series and my trilogy of feature films. Can we all be right?