Writing for Newsjack (aka 7 on 7)

Note: in May 2009 this thread title was changed from '7 on 7' to 'Newsjack' - this is because 'Newsjack' was announced as the official broadcast name for the show

http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/opportunity/7on7.shtml

Thanks for the head's up.

When they say "at least 2 of them topical", do they mean topical now or topical when they were wrote?

Basically, could I send a couple of sketches that I sent to NewsRevue a while ago or do I have to write new stuff?

Cheers for posting this

Looks like this is "Son of Tilt" as mentioned on the Recorded for Training Purposes thread. Good luck everyone.

NB only 10 days to submit - 27 Feb deadline - and great incentive of masterclass with David Mitchell for successful punters.

Quote: Chris Forshaw @ February 16 2009, 9:58 PM GMT

When they say "at least 2 of them topical", do they mean topical now or topical when they were wrote?

Basically, could I send a couple of sketches that I sent to NewsRevue a while ago or do I have to write new stuff?

Cheers for posting this

I'm presuming they mean 'topical now'/new stuff - to show that you have the ability to come up with comedy gold on short notice. That'll be why the deadline is so tight.

Quote: glaikit @ February 17 2009, 9:49 AM GMT

That'll be why the deadline is so tight.

10 days isn't that tight for a couple of sketches.

The brief was very vague. Any idea about the style they're after?

I submitted stuff for this under the old deadline, when they were asking for THREE topicals. I'm going to look like Billy Clot now. Thankfully, they were absolutely brilliant.

Reading it, it sounds like they haven't decided what they want yet. Or how the show will sound.

I realise this will sounds mercenary but I have no idea on this. Do you get paid for this kind of thing if your sketch/es are chosen? This wouldn't influence my decision on whether to enter, that would be more to do with my ability to do topical, not something I've particularly tried too aften. I just wondered really how it works.

If your subsequent sketches are used on the show, then, yes, you will be paid for them. But I don't think you'll be paid for your audition sketches, which is what you will have to send them.

You have to speculate, etc...

Yes, that's what I meant, I wouldn't expect audition sketches to receive cash especially as they might be shite! Agree totally on the speculation front, thanks.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 17 2009, 10:04 AM GMT

It is when you are just about to go on holiday...

So is it only writers who get through the audition process and attend the workshops who will be able to submit material for this show?

Quote: Timbo @ February 17 2009, 1:21 PM GMT

So is it only writers who get through the audition process and attend the workshops who will be able to submit material for this show?

Hopefully not. Unless I get through to the workshop, in which case I hope so.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 17 2009, 10:04 AM GMT

Not if you're on the writing team and you get the brief straight away but it's only 10 days if you've seen the Writersroom posting or this forum entry at the time of writing and don't stumble upon it in a week's time or something. Usually Writersroom put these opportunities up a month/months before the deadline giving slowcoaches plenty of time to catch up.

Plus, it's 10 days to come up with a comic gold idea, write and then rewrite it to perfection before e-mailing it in. Which isn't that long.

It's a little tighter than usual is all I'm saying.