My Family - Series 9 Page 11

Don't know if this has ever been mentioned about My Family, but does anyone else find the theme tune bland, twee, annoying, soulless f**king rubbish? This is the kind of theme music every sitcom would have if the Nazis had won the war.

PMT, Tim? ;)

I'm not a massive fan of the theme tune, but it's not the most offensive. (The Royle Family and The Office spring to mind.)

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 25 2009, 11:06 AM BST

Don't know if this has ever been mentioned about My Family, but does anyone else find the theme tune bland, twee, annoying, soulless f**king rubbish? This is the kind of theme music every sitcom would have if the Nazis had won the war.

It suits the programme, then, dunnit.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ September 25 2009, 2:13 PM BST

It suits the programme, then, dunnit.

Yes, but it offends me. I still have to hear it to remind me to turn over to another channel. Why can't they just play the sound of Zoe Wanamaker weeing into a metal bucket or something? An equally good warning for me, yet less aesthetically displeasing.

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 25 2009, 2:15 PM BST

Yes, but it offends me. I still have to hear it to remind me to turn over to another channel.

That's rather masochistic. Well done, mate.

At least the My Family theme tune and titles are done and dusted quite quickly... I hate sitcoms with long titles, they 'waste' a whole minute of their screentime. The IT Crowd titles, for example, take up about 4% of the show's allocated 24 minutes running time.

It'll be interesting to see how these new My Family episodes turn out... I got the feeling last series that the show was close to breaking point as the main stars were now almost 'phoning in' their performances. Plus, since then, Wannamaker and Lindsay have publically slagged off the writers - that can't have helped morale when it came to writing this new series.

Having seen Robert Lindsay and Zoe Wanamaker with own eyes earlier this month, they don't seem to be enjoying themselves. At one point, Lindsay said something like 'Who wrote that!' in such a way as it meant 'How am I going to make that crap sound funny'. Personally, if I was one of the writers, I'd be really offended.

Just looked at the My Family Ep Guide on Wiki and someone is apparently claiming that the 2009 Christmas Special is called "Once Upon a Time in Chiswick"...

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 25 2009, 11:06 AM BST

It's got that very 90s sitcom theme tune feel to it. I imagine that Conjugal Rites had a similar one. I say imagine as I can't remember.

Quote: Mark @ September 26 2009, 2:27 PM BST

The IT Crowd titles, for example, take up about 4% of the show's allocated 24 minutes running time.

But are awesome. :)

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 26 2009, 7:33 PM BST

But are awesome. :)

True. But wouldn't you rather have another minute of Moss/Jen/Roy-based hilarity?

Quote: Robert D @ September 26 2009, 4:28 PM BST

Having seen Robert Lindsay and Zoe Wanamaker with own eyes earlier this month, they don't seem to be enjoying themselves. At one point, Lindsay said something like 'Who wrote that!' in such a way as it meant 'How am I going to make that crap sound funny'. Personally, if I was one of the writers, I'd be really offended.

I can't say I'm all that surprised to read this - but I am saddened. Pity.

I wouldn't mind as long as they keep the "pixilated" Moss manically hammering the computer, which cracks me up every time. :D

Quote: Tom Simpson @ September 26 2009, 4:37 PM BST

Just looked at the My Family Ep Guide on Wiki and someone is apparently claiming that the 2009 Christmas Special is called "Once Upon a Time in Chiswick"...

Quite a good title. Sounds My Family-like.

Quote: Robert D @ September 26 2009, 8:03 PM BST

Quite a good title. Sounds My Family-like.

Also sounds rather like "Once Upon A Time In Peckham". Whistling nnocently

Yeah it does. I quite like that title though, better than Sex, Drugs and Rock n Chips anyway.

So, what have we got?

WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILERS!

Title: "Once Upon a Time in Chiswick"
Length: 75 minutes
Guests: Kris Marshall
Synopsis: Susan is feeling down after Janey points out that Nick has 'got away' with not attending four Christmases in a row now, so she decides to invite him - much to Alfie's dismay. Meanwhile, Roger's depressed after not getting a Christmas card from Abi, so after taking a leaf out of Susan's book, he invites her to come to his at Christmas - but how much does the convent mean to her? Later, Alfie packs his bags and puts them in the hallway, causing Ben to fall over them whilst drunk and break his arm. Also, Janey decides to forget about boyfriends and look after Kenzo, but Kenzo's not interested. An uncomfortable atmosphere decends upon the Harper's festive celebrations as Nick hasn't turned up but a knock on the door might just put a smile on Susan's face.
Writers: Brian Leveson and Paul Minett
Air Date: 24 December 2009

Is it? Isn't it? Eh? Sounds too good to be true. :(