My Family - Series 9 Page 7

Quote: Robert D @ August 18 2009, 6:51 PM BST

Actually I can't remember what the post card said? Remind me...

IIRC, it said something like "Hi all, having a great time in south america, by the way, if someone called Alfie Butts turns up claiming to be a mate, under no circumstances let him stay..." and then Alfie grabs it off Gwyneth.

Quote: Tom Simpson @ August 18 2009, 6:54 PM BST

IIRC, it said something like "Hi all, having a great time in south america, by the way, if someone called Alfie Butts turns up claiming to be a mate, under no circumstances let him stay..." and then Alfie grabs it off Gwyneth.

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

That should be good!!

So if it's Alfie's last episode, perhaps Nick does come back for a cameo or something which would lead to Alfie getting chucked out.

Do you reckon he's going be replaced or they'll just leave it at Ben, Susan, Janey, Michael and Roger. Actually, after typing that I don't think they need replace him.

(Sorry about double posting)

I wish they would get rid of him and fast.

Quote: Dave @ August 18 2009, 8:55 PM BST

I wish they would get rid of him and fast.

I assume we mean Alfie.

I think it quite possible that Nick will return for the special, but I'm not going to hold my breath for it. I'll use all of my energy praying that Alfie leaves.

What constitutes an "official user" of Wikipedia, BTW?

Quote: Aaron @ August 19 2009, 12:53 PM BST

What constitutes an "official user" of Wikipedia, BTW?

A person who holds a registered Wikipedia account. (i.e. someone who isn't really going to make it up)

Here's the latest from this 'official user': http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_My_Family_episodes#Christmas_Special_.282009.29

*It WILL feature the departure of Alfie Butts.
*It is LIKELY to feature the return of Nick if only to get rid of Alfie. (i.e. cameo appearance)
*The special will air on 24 December 2009.
*It will be 75 minutes long.

Mmmmm. 75 minutes long - great if it's true! :)

Quote: Robert D @ August 19 2009, 1:42 PM BST

*It will be 75 minutes long.

Mmmmm. 75 minutes long - great if it's true! :)

My worry is that they might not be able to sustain their usual level of hilarity for 75 minutes...

Quote: Tim Walker @ August 19 2009, 2:13 PM BST

My worry is that they might not be able to sustain their usual level of hilarity for 75 minutes...

I reckon they might just pull it off! ;)

Oh, shit, it's 75 minutes? I thought it said 7.5 minutes. Sorry.

Quote: Tim Walker @ August 19 2009, 2:25 PM BST

Oh, shit, it's 75 minutes? I thought it said 7.5 minutes. Sorry.

Now that would be real Christmas treat - an edition of My Family that's actually much, much shorter!

Quote: Tim Walker @ August 19 2009, 2:13 PM BST

Last year's special was 60 minutes and it felt like two thirty minute episodes glued together. Hope we don't get that again. :)

Very few sitcoms can sustain themselves over longer than thirty minutes, regardless of the quality. Thirty minutes is the ideal length. Twenty minutes if it's an American show.

Quote: chipolata @ August 19 2009, 2:43 PM BST

Very few sitcoms can sustain themselves over longer than thirty minutes, regardless of the quality. Thirty minutes is the ideal length. Twenty minutes if it's an American show.

Thing is, out of the 100 episodes they've done, only five of them have been longer than 30 minutes.

Quote: Robert D @ August 19 2009, 2:45 PM BST

Thing is, out of the 100 episodes they've done, only five of them have been longer than 30 minutes.

And the other 95 have just felt longer.