Sitcom Trials 2009 Page 12

Marc P, this forum really doesn't concern you, why do you subscribe to it?

Quote: Declan @ April 28 2009, 2:33 PM BST

Marc P, this forum really doesn't concern you, why do you subscribe to it?

Excuse me? :)

See above.

We're looking for articulate (more than two words in a sentence) people to work with.

People who are committed to their art, and not just posting messages on an internet forum (nearly 3700 posts does not a sitcom make).

We want to work with people who want to improve their work, just as we want to improve what we do.

We encourage people (we got an award to prove it) and we progress, just like the people we love, absolutely love, to work alongside.

We'll let other people tell us when we've done something right, and when we do something wrong we make steps to correct it. We welcome feedback from our peers, good or bad. From our peers, we mean people who want to develop their work, not just people who can log onto an internet forum and type two words in one go.

In the past 24 hours I've spoken to the Head of Entertainment of Channel 4 and had email contact with one of the commissioning editors.

I'd love to read some of your work. Please email it to info@every1sacritic.com

Cheers, Declan

In fairness (and partly to stop him going on about it himself!) some of Marc/k's work is available here

See Amazon product listing

at a reasonable price ;)

He might even make quite a good judge...

Dan

Well I won't get into a ding dong with you Declan but...

One the one of my many posts you took umbrage with was.

'would this be commissioned as is, on prime time terrestrial TV?'

Good luck with that one. Lol.'

Was not actually a pop, but a supportive nod to how hard it is to know what prime time TV is looking for. Particularly in these days. They know it when they see it, seems to be the only true guide.

The two words expressed exactly what I wished to convey by the way. Economy of expression isn't a bad thing. Especially in a sitcom.

Would you really love to read some of my work?

Marc

Marc/Mark

Thanks for the sentences. Now we can do business.

I don't want to get in a ding dong with you either, and having IMDBed you I bow to your greater achievements. Maybe we should be working together - the cynic and the young turk. In the film, I'll be played by Nicolas Cage and so will you.

If you've got experience that you can share, please do it in a constructive way that can help and encourage new writers. Those that have the persistence and determination to succeed will use it and will love you for it. The others will read it and go on their merry way.

And yes, I would love to read something you've written. I'll start with your novel. Congratulations on the five star review.

And do you really live in Norfolk? Are you a Norwich fan?

Cheers, Declan

Hey Declan,

And cheers.

I do try and be supportive and encouraging, especially on here. :) And the good luck with that really wasn't a pop! Which was why it had the smiley face by it.

Yup live up in North Norfolk. Not sure if I am a Norwich fan or not, depends... did they win yesterday??? :(

And good luck with the finals - look like you have a stellar panel

Cheers

Marc

Situation averted, good people of BSG.

Move on, nothing to see here...

:)

Dan

No, they lost. Such a shame you're not a die-hard yellow and green because I'm an Ipswich fan and we're the pride of Anglia and Nodge are well and truly going downwards.

If you can make it to a show, we'd love to see you there and have a pint in The Imperial afterwards.

Thanks for your good wishes, good luck with all you do and I look forward to reading Hard Evidence.

Cheers, Declan

Cheers Declan,

I know there will be a lot of gnashing of teeth round these parts but I am an incomer of only five years so don't really count.

A pint sounds good. Will try and make it down.
Slainte!

Quote: swerytd @ April 28 2009, 3:09 PM BST

He might even make quite a good judge...

Bearing in mind, he's a regular on this forum, what does that say about his judgement... and taste?
Swertyd, do I sense a machiavellian plot to load the judges' panel with people who call you 'Dan'? That or you're Marc's publicity agent.
:O :D

That's preposterous. I've never been associated with Marc Peirson, author of Hard Evidence, available at all good booksellers, in my life.

Dan

Morning all.

First semi final last night and it was a good one. James Parker's Boarders, Dean Hardman's From Riga To Rotherham, Graeme Knowles's Trainspotting and Chris Ovidu's Canteen Culture went head to head.

The judging panel had the wealth of experience of Radio 4's Katie Tyrell, radio producing and directing legend Carol Smith and RDF Comedy Unit's Jacqui Sinclair.

The judges voted From Riga To Rotherham into first on 16 points, with Boarders second on 15. We sadly say goodbye to the top quality production Canteen Culture with expert direction by Dan Frankenburg and brilliant performances by Steve McNeil and Johnnie Hansler. And thanks to Chris Ovidu for writing a great script, and his graciousness and positivity in defeat. Trainspotting still has a good chance of making the final through the audience vote. Last night it stormed the public vote again, getting 30 votes, followed by Riga's 13, Boarders 10 and Canteen Culture's 5.

The 7pm was a storming show, with a good crowd thoroughly enjoying the atmosphere, with Andy Fox on particularly good form as compere. Thanks once again go to Debs Jones, our stage manager extraordinaire and all-round good egg.

And thanks again to the audience and our regulars who keep the whole thing going.

We'll see you next week when the sitcoms on offer are Harris and Blakewell's Chain Gang, Imran Malik's Toys, Jules Bower's The House On Cedar Street and Peter Higgins's Welcome To The Jungle. It's a top line-up. Judges include FT correspondent and former comedy star Mike Fab-Gere Mike Southon, radio producer Dawn Ellis and literary agent Jo Evans.

And did we mention that Channel 4's Head of Programming Andrew Newman is joining BBC TV's Commissioner of Comedy Lucy Lumsden as judge in the Grand Final?

Cheers, Declan and Simon
Every 1's A Critic
Presenting The Sitcom Trials

Just heard that Head of Radio Comedy Commissioning at the BBC, Jane Berthoud, will be judging at the Final.

Cheers all.

Dec

Quote: Declan @ April 30 2009, 11:36 AM BST

Just heard that Head of Radio Comedy Commissioning at the BBC, Jane Berthoud, will be judging at the Final.

Cheers all.

Dec

Is it too late to submit something?

Only kidding!