Sitcom Trials 2009 Page 7

'How to get into the 'Yes' pile.' The Sitcom Trials

On March 14th (yes,as soon as that) we're holding a workshop that will reveal how this year's writers have already had their work seen by people from Avalon, Endemol, Big Bear, So TV, Comedy unit, BBC Radio 4, Kudos etc etc.

Already 3 of our people have been approached directly after the show by production companies. And 2 by a top literary agent.

If you're serious about writing comedy, why not invest in yourself? This is not a 'how to write comedy' workshop, rather 'how to get involved in the best showcase you'll ever have.'

£40 for the day (or £45 with lunch)

Have a look at some (genuine) comments from our previous workshops: http://www.every1sacritic.com/Every1sacritic/Workshops.html

reply asap to info@every1sacritic.com

If anyone is going along to the Sitcom Trials tonight, please pop up and say hello. It's always nice to put a face to the avatar but mainly because I don't actually know anyone there!

Best of luck to Jane and Griff, hopefully we'll get chance to chat sometime during the evening.

Yeah, I'll be there too if anyone wants to pop over and say hello. Add me on Facebook if you want recognisable photos (search for Dan Sweryt -- there's only one of me on Earth)

Dan

Myself, Bussell and Ben will be there at the seven show. Holding hands. And kissing. With tongues.

So, Bussell's finally managed to employ those two people to walk around with him constantly applauding?

I didn't even get an interview...

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ March 11 2009, 10:27 AM GMT

So, Bussell's finally managed to employ those two people to walk around with him constantly applauding?

Oh, we do much more than that . . .

I'll be there, as will my cronies, Matt Stott and Ben Ricketts. I might even deign to laugh at some of the productions.

Quote: swerytd @ March 11 2009, 10:27 AM GMT

I didn't even get an interview...

Dan

If you play me a jazzy theme tune you're in.

Quote: David Bussell @ March 11 2009, 10:34 AM GMT

I might even deign to laugh at some of the productions.

Steady on now.

Enjoyed last night's showing. Nice to finally meet Matt Stott, pretty boy Ricketts ;) and Griff, however briefly!

First, I must apologise to Dave M, who I was subsequently informed that I sat next to for the whole performance without realising who he was! Sorry!

Before the results come out on here, I'll give my view. Out of the four, I must say I thought they were fairly evenly matched. By that I mean nothing stood out as head and shoulders above the others and nothing was completely appalling either.

Top Shelf (Dave M's, I'm led to believe) kind of finished very abruptedly but was interesting enough. Kept me laughing and had some good one-liners.

Three's A Crowd (Jane Perrin's) was very good, I thought. Probably just edged it in terms of the one I enjoyed most. The jokes were very funny and I like the set up. The ending set the scene *very* nicely for a series, which is probably why I thought it won out over the others.

19th Nervous Breakdown (by Griff) started slowly in terms of laughs, but wasn't uninteresting. It got much funnier and *very* dark the longer it went on. The shouty tramp guy, though he was excellent, scared the crap out of me. This one seemed to last a lot longer than the others, or was it just me. I felt it almost reaching Nighty Night levels of black comedy!

The Same Paige I found interesting in that it was essentially a one-act play. The rules say 'Don't write a one-act play!' (to be fair, they didn't before these entries) so don't really know what to believe now! That's not having a go at the piece, which was good and had its funny moments (though I didn't get a good look at the sculpture from the back row!)

It's interesting to see the setup and what you've got to work with. You can sort of see why your entries fail to get anywhere too! :)

All in all, had a good night and will probably go along again to one of the later stages, I think.

Dan

Very interesting.

I'm going next week to see my chum Chris's comedy storm it. :)

So anyone else going next week? If so please don't come over and talk to me if you see me there. :)

Great to meet some BSGs last night.

Dan, if you were the enigmatic stranger sat next to me, apologies. You're right, my comedy does end abruptly. It's because I got confused over what was required and submitted the first 15 pages of my sitcom rather than a 15 page sitcom.

That aside, I was really happy with how it was received. It didn't seem to die on its arse. More importantly no one wanted to lynch me when I left which is pretty much my definition of success. I thought the other 3 sitcoms were cracking though. I doth my comedy cap to Jane and Griff.

Quote: Dave M @ March 12 2009, 4:33 PM GMT

Dan, if you were the enigmatic stranger sat next to me, apologies. You're right, my comedy does end abruptly. It's because I got confused over what was required and submitted the first 15 pages of my sitcom rather than a 15 page sitcom.

Wow, it must have been very good then - to be selected and yet not actually meeting the selection criteria. :)

Quote: Dave M @ March 12 2009, 4:33 PM GMT

That aside, I was really happy with how it was received. It didn't seem to die on its arse. More importantly no one wanted to lynch me when I left which is pretty much my definition of success. I thought the other 3 sitcoms were cracking though. I doth my comedy cap to Jane and Griff.

Certainly 'stranger'. Not so sure about the enigmatic. Sorry if my jacket spilled over and enveloped you, but that's what happens when you miss your train and have to run in just before the show starts :)

It was received well, and that's because it was good! I think the two guys with bit-parts stole the limelight a bit from your main characters though.

I see why it finished abruptly now. Yeah, that makes more sense :)

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ March 12 2009, 9:52 AM GMT

Enjoyed last night's showing. Nice to finally meet Matt Stott, pretty boy Ricketts ;) and Griff, however briefly!

First, I must apologise to Dave M, who I was subsequently informed that I sat next to for the whole performance without realising who he was! Sorry!

Before the results come out on here, I'll give my view. Out of the four, I must say I thought they were fairly evenly matched. By that I mean nothing stood out as head and shoulders above the others and nothing was completely appalling either.

Top Shelf (Dave M's, I'm led to believe) kind of finished very abruptedly but was interesting enough. Kept me laughing and had some good one-liners.

Three's A Crowd (Jane Perrin's) was very good, I thought. Probably just edged it in terms of the one I enjoyed most. The jokes were very funny and I like the set up. The ending set the scene *very* nicely for a series, which is probably why I thought it won out over the others.

19th Nervous Breakdown (by Griff) started slowly in terms of laughs, but wasn't uninteresting. It got much funnier and *very* dark the longer it went on. The shouty tramp guy, though he was excellent, scared the crap out of me. This one seemed to last a lot longer than the others, or was it just me. I felt it almost reaching Nighty Night levels of black comedy!

The Last Paige I found interesting in that it was essentially a one-act play. The rules say 'Don't write a one-act play!' (to be fair, they didn't before these entries) so don't really know what to believe now! That's not having a go at the piece, which was good and had its funny moments (though I didn't get a good look at the sculpture from the back row!)

It's interesting to see the setup and what you've got to work with. You can sort of see why your entries fail to get anywhere too! :)

All in all, had a good night and will probably go along again to one of the later stages, I think.

Dan

Wow my first (only) public review! Thank you Dan! Aside from not being able to be objective about my own I agree with your comments on them all. Lots of good stuff all round last night.

Re the timing I was attempting to condense 30 minutes of plot into 15 and decided to scrub scene changes and blackouts to make it seem smoother. This did result in some unfeasibly quick action though! But my director wisely drew the line at one character going to make a hot chocolate and returning with it in about 12 seconds! I found the time limit difficult in terms of setting up characters and situation but useful in forcing me to lose as much unnecessary dialogue as possible.

I really enjoyed the night, my only regret in that with all the mayhem of it I didn't manage to meet any BSGers other than a v quick hello to Griff.

Also surely a guest appearance by Kiefer Sutherland, Reese Wetherspoon and some monsters around the corner, adding to above mentioned mayhem, is worth a mention here!

http://www.empireonline.com/news/feed.asp?NID=24366

A bizarre night all round but a great experience and excellent learning opportunity!

Jx

Hi guys

Thanks for all coming last night. I'm starting to get paranoid that nobody loves me. I'm the one on the door handing out the voting slips and collecting them in the hat. You can say hello, I won't bite you, not unless you ask me to.

Anyway, glad you all liked what you saw. On offer were Top Shelf by David Melkevik and directed by Katy Thompson, Three's A Crowd by Jane Perrin directed by Matt Holt, 19th Nervous Breakdown by Griff Philips which was directed by Caitriona Thompson and The Same Paige written and directed by Anna Bennetts.

Got to run, but just to let you know that Top Shelf was runner up in the judges' eyes, with Three's A Crowd the winner. Will let you know the audience vote when I get them off Simon later.

Cheers, Dec