Most Underrated Footballer in the Premiership Page 6

Quote: John Killalea @ May 1 2009, 11:06 PM BST

I think Peter Crouch is underated. He played well for liverpool and for england. He always looks dangerous and has a natural talent for goals. But because he does not potray a certain image it doesn't matter how good he plays big clubs will never let him be there talisman. Which is a bit like my sketch in the critiq forum.

I have some serious man love for Crouch.

He's ace in my opinion. A real top-drawer player.

It makes me laugh how because he has a physical attribute that above the norm, he gets called a freak - yet no one ever called Michael Owen a 'pacey little freak' and no one calls Michael Essien a 'full of stamina weirdo!'

Quote: Seefacts @ May 1 2009, 11:10 PM BST

I have some serious man love for Crouch.

He's ace in my opinion. A real top-drawer player.

It makes me laugh how because he has a physical attribute that above the norm, he gets called a freak - yet no one ever called Michael Owen a 'pacey little freak' and no one calls Michael Essien a 'full of stamina weirdo!'

Its a shame really. At least his bird seems to be the real deal and with him for the right reasons - so its not all bad. + his overhead kick in the champions league will always been remembered.

Quote: John Killalea @ May 1 2009, 1:50 PM BST

I would just like to say that Tugay deserves recognition as a great palyer. He is retiring at the end of the season and has been Blackburns most creative player in the last eight years. Up the Rovers.

Can't agree more with this, he's the best passer of a ball I've ever seen in live games. The Brad friedel shout is a good one too.

Of current Rovers players I guess it would be king kong himself, big Chris Samba. I've not loved a defender this much since Colin Hendry. Now he was a defender.

good shout for aaron hughes...

in a struggling and poor side...matthew bates at boro has been brilliant for the latter part of the season...

Quote: jacparov @ May 1 2009, 11:37 PM BST

Can't agree more with this, he's the best passer of a ball I've ever seen in live games. The Brad friedel shout is a good one too.

Of current Rovers players I guess it would be king kong himself, big Chris Samba. I've not loved a defender this much since Colin Hendry. Now he was a defender.

Hendry was an imense player butthat's going back a bit. In more recent years Duff was great for blackburn. Pederson was very exciting early on but lost his way recently. I agree Samba is a good player but I think Givett will be a great player if big sam can land him permantley. Rovers have always been a well run club and keeps its players content so they have mananged to have good players and that meant they have over-acheived for a small town club (apart from this season).

Speaking of Owen, I heard Everton might be interested in buying him. Though he is a great player, I'm a bit worried about him getting injured again. Then again, he was an Everon fan, when he was a kid. By the way, his Auntie used to run a sandwich shop, across the road, from where I grew up, and I used to see him around the back, kicking a ball against the wall, when his family were visiting. I spoke to him once, when I noticed he was wearing an Everton shirt, and asked him who his favourite player was, and he said Tony Cottee.

Quote: John Killalea @ May 1 2009, 11:18 PM BST

his overhead kick in the champions league will always been remembered.

Mainly by Crouch.

I've never rated him. I really like the man, as a person. I think he's genuinely humble and almost bashful about being in publicity. But I'd hate to have him in my team. He has that ungainly awkwardness in his movement that Duncan Ferguson had. Big Dunc couldn't run with training wheels attached. SlagB is a big lidderpuddle fan and always blared on about Crouchy this-and-that. As soon as they sold him, he changed his tune.

Quote: catskillz @ May 2 2009, 10:27 PM BST

Speaking of Owen, I heard Everton might be interested in buying him. Though he is a great player, I'm a bit worried about him getting injured again. Then again, he was an Everon fan, when he was a kid. By the way, his Auntie used to run a sandwich shop, across the road, from where I grew up, and I used to see him around the back, kicking a ball against the wall, when his family were visiting. I spoke to him once, when I noticed he was wearing an Everton shirt, and asked him who his favourite player was, and he said Tony Cottee.

He was a scorer of big goals (especially for England) but I remember him having some pretty baron spells in the league where he couldn't finish a good dinner.

Pool never seemed to get a full league season out of him. Seven seasons as a regular, only got 30 games or over 4 times. And he only ever got 15 - 18 league goals (ish)

He's been unlucky really. The Newcastle thing went sour through no real fault of his own. The injury in the world cup, then returning to find he's in a rubbish team has really soured his career.

NUFC fans really seem to dislike him, forgetting he scored the goals un KK that kept them up. And 30 goals in 74 games, although not worth 17million, is hardly terrible.

I think in a decent side he'd be capable of getting 20 goals. In a Villa or an Everton. Maybe Wenger could give him a punt? Either way, he's free, and you can't really go wrong.

Quote: SlagA @ May 2 2009, 10:34 PM BST

Mainly by Crouch.

I've never rated him. I really like the man, as a person. I think he's genuinely humble and almost bashful about being in publicity. But I'd hate to have him in my team. He has that ungainly awkwardness in his movement that Duncan Ferguson had. Big Dunc couldn't run with training wheels attached. SlagB is a big lidderpuddle fan and always blared on about Crouchy this-and-that. As soon as they sold him, he changed his tune.

He's better than Dunc!!

Crouch has a 1-3 ratio (club and country) over the last 5 seasons. He can be hit and miss, but he's quite a good finisher, has a great touch, and is a clever player.

And, as you say, he seems like a really nice guy.

I've always wondered how Real Madrid managed to get Owen for such a low price (wasn't it 8 million?) when he was so good, and so young.

Big Dunc was a monster of a player. I remember one game, against Spurs, in which he picked the mighty Sol Campbell up with one arm, and threw him to the ground, like a sack of spuds. I feel sorry for the two scallies who came up against him, when attempting to burgle his house! I think that incidenet is even mentioned on the Darwin Awards website.

As for Crouch, he is indeed a very likeable fella. Apparently, someone once asked him what he'd be, if he hadn't become a footballer, and he said "A virgin".

Quote: Seefacts @ May 2 2009, 10:39 PM BST

NUFC fans really seem to dislike him, forgetting he scored the goals un KK that kept them up. And 30 goals in 74 games, although not worth 17million, is hardly terrible.

As a Newcastle season ticket holder, living in the region, it has baffled me as to why Owen isn't more popular amongst the Toon Army! I was at his debut and the crowd went absolutely wild-it was incredible. Also, he got more than a warm welcome when, I think it was 25,000 fans turned up to see him at St James' a few days after he signed. It's fair to say that in general, our fans are not the most forgving (unless you're Alan Shearer or Kevin Keegan) I don't imagine Owen would be happy about missing so much of the past few years through injuries and the idea many fans have of him being happy to be getting paid handsomely for being on the physio bench is ridiculous and, in my opinion, unwarranted. He's always seemed a decent bloke in interviews etc since he hit the headlines yet he always gets a lot of stick. Shame really!

You're right Seefacts, 30 goals in 74 games is a good record by anyones standards, especially considering the team he has been playing in with it's distinct lack of service-amongst other things! As for the £17m price tag-we always seem to splash the cash about without any thought. Even the summer just gone we were paying a fortune for Xisco-a player apparantly for the future, who sometimes doesn't even play in the reserves! It's even more apparant now how desperatly we needed to spend that money more wisely.

Quote: Seefacts @ May 2 2009, 10:39 PM BST

Maybe Wenger could give him a punt?

Even as an Arsenal and Owen fan, I can't see this working.

Quote: John Killalea @ May 1 2009, 11:18 PM BST

his overhead kick in the champions league will always been remembered.

Crouch's overhead kicks are almost artistic in their weirdness.

If Carlos Tevez leaves Man United in the summer (which I would hate to happen, but it is looking a very likely scenario), then I would honestly go for Peter Crouch. He'd cost about £5 Million, I think he's a great player and wouldn't mind sitting on the bench some weeks and playing some other weeks.

Quote: catskillz @ May 2 2009, 11:02 PM BST

I've always wondered how Real Madrid managed to get Owen for such a low price (wasn't it 8 million?) when he was so good, and so young.

Big Dunc was a monster of a player. I remember one game, against Spurs, in which he picked the mighty Sol Campbell up with one arm, and threw him to the ground, like a sack of spuds. I feel sorry for the two scallies who came up against him, when attempting to burgle his house! I think that incidenet is even mentioned on the Darwin Awards website.

As for Crouch, he is indeed a very likeable fella. Apparently, someone once asked him what he'd be, if he wasn't a footballer, and he said "A virgin".

Owen's contact only had a year to run, and it didn't look like he was going to sign another.

Rafa wasn't interested in even trying to keep him.

Big Dunch demolishing a couple of burglars is one of my favourite stories EVER.

I don't think Newcastle fans dislike Owen, we're just upset that he hasn't played more for us. He's even admitted himself that he was wrong to go to the World Cup after being injured so long for us and then getting injured again. You can't deny his record, but he's not helping us out to much at the moment.

Most underrated Premier League player? Joey Barton.