Carry On... Page 14

Quote: Chappers @ July 16 2010, 9:37 PM GMT

There's a radio documentary on Radio 2 at 10 o'clock on Sunday night about the Carry Ons, narrated by Leslie Phillips.

He gets a lot of these Carry On gigs because knobhead tabloid reporters keep labelling him as 'carry on star' Leslie Phillips

He has probably got bored of pointing out he only had a minor part in a couple of films and ran with it.

Yes, he appeared in three, if you include Columbus, which you should not, because it was a travesty, and because he and June Whitfield, who had previously only appeared in two, only got the gig because of the confusion to which your refer.

In fairness he did have a leading role in those in which he did appear, Constable, Nurse, and, er, the other one I can't be bothered to look up. Was it Regardless?

Quote: Timbo @ January 8 2012, 7:44 PM GMT

Yes, he appeared in three, if you include Columbus, which you should not, because it was a travesty, and because he and June Whitfield, who had previously only appeared in two, only got the gig because of the confusion to which your refer.

In fairness he did have a leading role in those in which he did appear, Constable, Nurse, and, er, the other one I can't be bothered to look up. Was it Regardless?

It was Teacher. I think he's more likely to get the gig because of the deaths of the main players (Sid James and Hattie Jacques died before Carry on England was filmed I believe). Anyway, if you doing a radio doc, wouldn't you want Leslie Phillips to present it, no matter how many he's been in?

Quote: Tim Azure @ January 9 2012, 4:54 PM GMT

Hattie Jacques died before Carry on England was filmed I believe

Wrong. Carry On England was released in 1976. Fattie Jacques popped her clogs in 1980.

Quote: don rushmore @ January 9 2012, 5:03 PM GMT

Wrong. Carry On England was released in 1976. Fattie Jacques popped her clogs in 1980.

Now now!

Quote: Chappers @ January 9 2012, 9:22 PM GMT

Now now!

No, 1980.

I love the Carry Ons, they've given me so many laughs over the years. However, England and Emanuelle are virtually unwatchable. My personal favourite is probably Abroad, mainly for Peter Butterworth's performance.

My Favourite Carry Ons

Carry On Cabby
Carry On Cowboy
Carry On Up The Khyber
Carry On Matron
Carry On At Your Convenience

Worst Carry Ons

Carry On England (Abysmal)
Carry On Jack (Yawn)
Carry On Follow That Camel (Phil Silvers really bugs me)
Carry On Emmannuelle (Though I find it ok)
That's Carry On! (pointless)

Carry On Columbus gets more stick than it deserves, overall I find it funny, I just take it for what it is. A daft comedy film. I still count it as a Carry On. People forget that England was a whole lot worse.

Convenience was terrible; Matron was not much better.

Jack was very good. There are many worse than Camel.

The only one I've seen that I really hated was Cowboy.

:O Cowboy is great!

Top Ten:
Up the Khyber
Screaming
Cleo
Doctor
Cowboy
Jack
Camping
Spying
Abroad
Cabby

I found it cringeworthy.

There's nothing wrong with Convenience, and I've never thought much of Cowboy either. Years since I last saw it though, I really need to re-watch.

Sid was too rapey, and the accents were really bad and distracting!

Quote: zooo @ January 11 2012, 7:51 PM GMT

the accents were really bad

That was part of what made it funny.

Apparently it was Sid's favourite role.