Carry On... Page 9

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ August 26 2009, 1:33 PM BST

Yep and Harold Lloyd at 6pm on BBC2 everyday.

:D And that thing Mark Curry would introduce, that may have been the same thing actually. :D

Quote: Nil Putters @ August 26 2009, 1:35 PM BST

:D And that thing Mark Curry would introduce, that may have been the same thing actually. :D

Oh yeah, sounds very familiar. I used to watch it with a little Turkish girl and her family up the road; their English wasn't great but obviously they could follow these films. Then her mum would give me loads of yummy food for dinner.

On other days I would go to my Chinese friends who lived in a flat above their take-away and watch Monkey and then their mum would give me Chinese food. There's a pattern here...

Quote: Robert D @ August 26 2009, 2:33 AM BST

My favourite is Carry On Spying followed closely by Carry On Abroad*.

*I think that's the one where the hotel falls apart towards the end. ;)

Yep, that's the one.

Quote: Nil Putters @ August 26 2009, 9:20 AM BST

I think Sergeant (or is it Constable)

Both are B&W, so could be either!

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ August 26 2009, 1:40 PM BST

Oh yeah, sounds very familiar. I used to watch it with a little Turkish girl and her family up the road; their English wasn't great but obviously they could follow these films. Then her mum would give me loads of yummy food for dinner.

On other days I would go to my Chinese friends who lived in a flat above their take-away and watch Monkey and then their mum would give me Chinese food. There's a pattern here...

Yummm!

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ August 26 2009, 12:47 PM BST

I was hoping to rectify this, but can't find my copies. I'm also looking for a cheap Laurel and Hardy box set.

And: Laurel & Hardy 21-disc box set, £32.98

See Amazon product listing

IIRC it has almost all of their films, both original and colourised.

Not sure if you count that as cheap in itself, but for the contents it's a bloody bargain. IMO.

Quote: Nil Putters @ August 26 2009, 1:14 PM BST

My dad bought a video transfer from some bloke on eBay but the quality was awful.

Hmm, must dig my copy out. I don't recall it being really poor, although a video transfer, but what can one expect from a 400 year old black and white film? ;)

ITV3 are showing a bunch of Carry Ons on Sunday. Also Carry on Henry is on BBC Two on Saturday.

Also G.O.L.D. is showing a bunch of Carry Ons on Sunday and Bank Holiday Monday.

It's a Carry On fest.

I was never a big fan, even when I was younger.
But I've probably seen most of them at one time or another, and the performers are very good.
If I had to take one on a desert island it would be Carry on Cleo.

Quote: Oldrocker @ August 27 2009, 12:49 AM BST

Hmm, must dig my copy out. I don't recall it being really poor, although a video transfer, but what can one expect from a 400 year old black and white film? ;)

I've managed to 'get' a copy from the internet now that's much better than the other one we had. My dad will be well happy. :)

Quote: Aaron @ September 16 2006, 6:46 PM BST

So, who else around here loves the Carry On films?

I do.

Carry On Follow That Camel was awful! One of the worst of the lot!

I beg to differ, The last original Carry on film - Emmannuelle was appalling. I can't bring myself to sit down and watch the entire film, it's that bad. There are some cringe worthy moments - Joan Sims in the launderette with Victor Maddern for example. Joan Sims is one of my favourite actresses, to see her parading around like a demented floozy is not a fitting tribute to her talent or to the legacy of the Carry on films.

Quote: Aaron @ July 14 2008, 5:04 AM BST

He was brilliant. He's not that widely known outisde the Carry Ons and Bless This House, but did SO much, and had perfect comic timing. A true legend, a great actor, and quite possibly my favourite comedy personality.

He had some wonderful character parts in the Carry on films, He was born to play Henry VIII.

I've never even got round to watching Carry On Emmannuelle.

Sims* ;)

It's not terribly good. But not as bad as Columbo. If memory serves.

Columbus, do you mean?

Erm.....yeah. :$

Quote: Aaron @ June 30 2010, 10:45 AM BST

I've never even got round to watching Carry On Emmannuelle.

Sims* ;)

Sorted.

I must be the only one who liked Carry on Emmanuelle lol.