Carry On... Page 17

If we are talking misguided sketch show commissions, Emma Thompson anyone?

Quote: Pingl @ September 19 2012, 10:35 PM BST

I Know Carry On London was mooted for a long time, but that was on a hiding to nothing, Vinnie Jones, Shane Ritchie, Gawd Help us. But who could realistically do justice to the films, I was thinking of Brian Conley ...

You dismiss Shane Richie, then suggest Brian Conley - they're basically the same bloke.

Oh God no. Shane Ritchie is a horrible talentless drone. But strangely I have a real soft spot for Brian Conley. It wasn't a definitive list just some suggestions off the top of my head, and I like Brian Conley

Carry On worked because the cast had strong comic personas that could be integrated into an ensemble; where do you find another Charles Hawtry or Kenneth Connor to rebuild such an ensemble? There are plenty of good young comic actors around, just look to Horrible Histories or the supporting cast of Armstrong & Miller or Mitchell & Webb, but they tend to eschew that single identity in favour of versatility.

And even if you did find suitable players with strong comic identities that could achieve some chemistry within an ensemble, without the original personas it would cease to really be Carry On, This was a problem that the later Carry On films struggled with, too often the comedy actors they brought in just did not seem to fit.

I don't know if I agree, Peter Rogers always said the star was the name, Carry On. It would be a huge mistake to try and find another Charles Hawtrey, the secret would be to take the spirit of the humour and create a new team. It would not be easy and would require some original thinking, but not beyond the bounds of possibility. Particularly if those in charge had a real understanding of the films and their history.

Quote: Tursiops @ September 20 2012, 9:31 AM BST

If we are talking misguided sketch show commissions, Emma Thompson anyone?

Yes that was a travesty of a show. I seem to recall a lot of flouncing and dancing about. Maybe she was channeling the medium of comedy through dance.

I'm a HUGE fan of the Carry ons and as such feel that any attempt at a re-boot simply wouldn't work.

I guess only time will tell.

I absolutely love the Carry Ons - having grown up watching them on TV (most of the jokes going over my head at that age). I still have to watch them if I see they are on.

I was discussing the films with my mum recently and we were agreed that Columbus failed for a few reasons. The main one being that although Columbus was in two other films at that time, it wasn't really that familiar a historic subject to the UK. The legend of Robin Hood would probably have been a better choice for example. Secondly, the cast was over-extended and in many cases wrong for a Carry On as it wasn't really their style of comedy. Alexei Sayle was in it and although a funny man, his often intellectual based or political rants aren't very Carry On-ish are they?

For any potential new team, they would need to look for performers that are comfortable with this kind of humour. I could picture Johnny Vegas, Peter Kay, Sean Lock, Micky Flanagan and Sarah Millican as possibilities

A problem which most people don't refer to with remakes is the lack of Brit films made today. You could make them on a smaller shoestring than they were in the '70s. Or have a double bill...

For any potential new team, they would need to look for performers that are comfortable with this kind of humour. I could picture Johnny Vegas, Peter Kay, Sean Lock, Micky Flanagan and Sarah Millican as possibilities

A new Carry On, with a new cast, would be like reforming the Beatles - with 4 session musicians. Utterly, utterly pointless.

Or have a double bill...

I can see the poster now. "TWICE the laughs. TWICE the fun. TWICE the size (and that's just Miranda!)"

No thanks.

It is probably best to let sleeping innuendos lie

"A new Carry On, with a new cast, would be like reforming the Beatles - with 4 session musicians. Utterly, utterly pointless. "

Yeah, but I always kind of liked the Monkees too.

And that's the function that The Comic Strip fulfil.