Frankie Boyle Page 12

Quote: sootyj @ January 31 2012, 3:28 PM GMT

The press is no great arbiter on anything.

Can we agree on that?

Yes.

A lot of comedians make cruel jokes (might have something to do with our X Factor / Weakest Link attitude towards everyone), but very few have the credibility to carry it off.

I think what is so shocking / funny about Boyle, is that there is a perceived venom behind the words and some people find that frightening. Obviously, it's just an act, Boyle's got children and yet makes paedophile jokes, but the easily confused perceive his words to be honest opinions.

I think it says more about his detractors than anything else.

Yeah, I didn't get the "act" Gervais pulled on The 11 O'Clock Show... I just thought he was not funny. My girlfriend hates Gervais and I either love what he does or I am indifferent. He can be genius and he can be crass but I appreciate what he is trying to do and I am glad that he tries to do it. It's better to fail sometimes than to play it safe in my opinion.

Something I was told by an embittered comedy hack who had worked with him; I do not necessarily give it creedence, but the defence of irony is always suspect.

Quote: Timbo @ January 31 2012, 3:36 PM GMT

embittered

Ah, that'll be the key word there. :D

Quote: sootyj @ January 31 2012, 3:35 PM GMT

wank x100

:D

Irony is a particular moth eaten cloak to hide behind.

I look forward to some war criminal at the Hague to use irony as a defence for genocide.

In fairness in context 'embittered' is almost tautologous.

Christ.
*gets out the dictionary*

Quote: Timbo @ January 31 2012, 3:39 PM GMT

In fairness in context 'embittered' is almost tautologous.

So's your mum!

Quote: zooo @ January 31 2012, 3:40 PM GMT

Christ.
*gets out the dictionary*

Christ (krst)
n.
1. Christianity Jesus.
2. The Messiah, as foretold by the prophets of the Hebrew Scriptures. Often used with the.

Quote: sootyj @ January 31 2012, 3:38 PM GMT

I look forward to some war criminal at the Hague to use irony as a defence for genocide.

I once did a sketch about a post-modern serial killer, "it's not a crime scene, it's an installation".

Quote: sootyj @ January 31 2012, 3:41 PM GMT

So's your mum!

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Quote: sootyj @ January 31 2012, 2:23 PM GMT

And there in lies the problem...

Where is the line drawn? To refuse to joke is to create a special status that leads to issolation. And certainly with the paranoia around Islamophobia, that can even still voices of protest within their own community.

But I don't know some groups are more vulnerable than others, more in need of society's help and support.

It's also important to note that whilst Bernard Manning was making racist jokes there were other black comics on the circuit. Whilst Love Thy Neighbour may have had racist jokes, it also had black comedians giving as good as they got.

The same can't be said of people with learning disabilities. Generally the humour traffic about them is strictly one way.

Certainly in the UK anyway.

And a little bit of politeness.

Between 2008 and 2010 there were over 2,000 negative stories about Muslims in the British press. A large chunk of which were clearly untruthful and often malicious. So we can perhaps understand why Muslims sometimes get a wee bit miffed when so-called "comedians" sometimes pander to media anti-islam propaganda rather than the reality of experience.

The line therefore might be drawn at what is intended to be offensive or can be viewed as incitement, and what is just plain stupid.

Frankie Boyle's comments about Down's could fall in the latter category, as his feeble joke was based on stereotypical appearances, as jokes often are, and not particularly malicious towards anyone.

Including those with disabilites in our comic repetoire is nothing to be ashamed of, indeed the irony is it could actualy subtly demonstrate inclusion and tolerance in a modern world. But if any such joke goes arse over tit purely because of a lack of humour a simple; "That was shite Frankie!" might serve as an apropiate rebuttal rather than a full scale witch hunt based purely on the fact that the subject matter was disability. Rolling eyes

Not much of a witch hunt.

I mean don't witch hunts usually involve drowning and burning?

Quote: sootyj @ January 31 2012, 4:20 PM GMT

Not much of a witch hunt.

I mean don't witch hunts usually involve drowning and burning?

You mean it usually involves either? Trying to do both at the same time suggests incompetence.