Lead Balloon - Series 3 Page 8

Quote: Ben @ December 5 2008, 9:56 AM GMT

I liked the bit where Magda told her harrowing tale about when the soldiers surrounded her village and Jack was all "Yeah, but the light came REALLY close to hitting me".

Obviously I didn't see this, but soldiers surrounding the village is a couple of decades out of date. I know I'm taking it a bit seriously but both my parents are from that part of the world, and my dad did have his village surrounded...World War 2...

It's just overegging the stereotype a bit. It's not Zimbabwe. I could understand if Magda was 20+ years older.

Isn't it all getting a bit predictable?

I don't know. I don't think it's established where she's from.

Did nothing like that happen in Bosnia? I personally don't know.

I may be wrong, but I thought that stuff has gone on over in Eastern Europe et al until quite recently. It certainly didn't strike a false note with me (although I am painfully ignorant of world events).

Quote: Huge Bear @ December 5 2008, 10:34 AM GMT

Obviously I didn't see this, but soldiers surrounding the village is a couple of decades out of date. I know I'm taking it a bit seriously but both my parents are from that part of the world, and my dad did have his village surrounded...World War 2...

It's just overegging the stereotype a bit. It's not Zimbabwe. I could understand if Magda was 20+ years older.

Unless you were talking about when the Russian's tried to crush the Solidairty protests of the 80s.

Quote: Afinkawan @ December 5 2008, 9:39 AM GMT

Definitely one of my favourite episodes so far. And I agree with those who think his co-writer is a waste of space.

I don't remember anyone having said that previously. Perhaps I'm just blind to stupidity. ;)

Quote: Huge Bear @ December 5 2008, 10:34 AM GMT

Obviously I didn't see this...

*snip*

Um.

Magda's not from Bosnia. My mother's from that part of the world - I've got at least 20 family members in different parts all over there.

Her accent's very good Russian, with a couple of tiny flaws (Eastern Europeans don't use the words "the" or "a").

Magda's short for Magdalena, which is much more common in Poland.

I visited Poland six times during the 80s. The Russians would have iinvaded if the Polish authorities hadn't declared their own martial law in 1981, but certainly in eastern Poland (Bialystok) a few tanks came over the border.

Once the Berlin wall came down in 1989 all that nonsense pretty well finished. Though if it happened anywhere in the 80s it would have been a very isolated occurrence. Magda would have had to be very young indeed...

Shit, I can't believe I'm writing this in a Lead Ballon thread!

More importantly than all that... does this mean you have a sexy accent?

Quote: zooo @ December 5 2008, 11:18 AM GMT

More importantly than all that... does this mean you have a sexy accent?

Naaaahh

Damn.

Quote: zooo @ December 5 2008, 11:20 AM GMT

Damn.

Well do you find Magda's accent sexy? :S

On a boy, yes!

Sorry if I went over the top. I get a bit irritated if people think that sort of thing goes on over there now, or even recently.

Quote: Huge Bear @ December 5 2008, 11:16 AM GMT

(Eastern Europeans don't use the words "the" or "a").

Depends how long they've been here. :)

Quote: Huge Bear @ December 5 2008, 11:32 AM GMT

Sorry if I went over the top. I get a bit irritated if people think that sort of thing goes on over there now, or even recently.

We all know it does. Their governments just cover it up.

This is slow and predictable.
Debating a sitcom character's war experiences in a time frame is interesting. Do we know when the series is set? Past? Present? Future?
Do we care? I don't; I watch it because it reminds me to switch over for Question Time on a Thursday.

Edited by Aaron.

Quote: Huge Bear @ December 5 2008, 11:16 AM GMT

Magda's not from Bosnia. My mother's from that part of the world - I've got at least 20 family members in different parts all over there.

Her accent's very good Russian, with a couple of tiny flaws (Eastern Europeans don't use the words "the" or "a").

Magda's short for Magdalena, which is much more common in Poland.

I visited Poland six times during the 80s. The Russians would have iinvaded if the Polish authorities hadn't declared their own martial law in 1981, but certainly in eastern Poland (Bialystok) a few tanks came over the border.

Once the Berlin wall came down in 1989 all that nonsense pretty well finished. Though if it happened anywhere in the 80s it would have been a very isolated occurrence. Magda would have had to be very young indeed...

Shit, I can't believe I'm writing this in a Lead Ballon thread!

Really, does it matter? I think you're going too deep with it all. She's a funny character, and that's the end of that.

Quote: Aaron @ December 5 2008, 11:10 AM GMT

I don't remember anyone having said that previously. Perhaps I'm just blind to stupidity. ;)

Others have said that. Basically pointing out that his character is really quite smug, and doesn't get to do or say anything that's actually funny. I know why that character's there, but they could try and do more with him.