Lead Balloon - Series 3 Page 10

Quote: ContainsNuts @ December 5 2008, 4:28 PM GMT

Well Larry David doesn't have a teenager in the house and he's about 20 years older, so I would say there are differences in setup and issues. But anyway, lots of sitcoms are versions of other ones abroad. Jack Dee never hid the influence.

I meant specifically this weeks story of having a near death experience and the old grump coming to love life and all of its trimmings . . .

Ah, I've not seen that episode. Understood. I think next week Rick pokes Ben Stiller in the eye.

Quote: thelegendary stardustcowboy @ December 5 2008, 3:31 PM GMT

While we are on the subject, YOU poke your nose into a lot of posts and edit them ,and stir things up and use swearwords WHEN IT SUITS YOU! Yet you dont like it when others do it.

Sad.

Just what the hell are you on about? I have no problem with swearing. And my editing of posts is in line with my role as editor, in order to ensure that the site isn't flooded with the ugly abhorrences which the likes of you post.

Now do go away and troll somewhere else.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ December 5 2008, 4:28 PM GMT

Well Larry David doesn't have a teenager in the house and he's about 20 years older, so I would say there are differences in setup and issues. But anyway, lots of sitcoms are versions of other ones abroad. Jack Dee never hid the influence.

I like Lead Balloon, and I'm genuinely not trying to be argumentative but I recall an interview with Jack Dee in which he did deny the Curb influence -- IIRC he said he was surprised to hear it mentioned because it wasn't an influence! Early Woody Allen, specifically 'Play It Again, Sam' he said was a big inspiration.

Changing topic, has Rasmus Hardiker left the show? Next week's synopsis mentions a new boyfriend for Sam I think.

The thing is, this has bee Jack Dees persona for 15-20 years, this is exactly the kind of show you would expect him to write and star in. It's just unfortunate for him that an American show which began before his has a similar state of mind; I genuinly don't think it's down to Dee just trying to copy.

Quote: Huge Bear @ December 5 2008, 11:16 AM GMT

Magda's not from Bosnia. My mother's from that part of the world - I've got at least 20 family members in different parts all over there.

Her accent's very good Russian, with a couple of tiny flaws (Eastern Europeans don't use the words "the" or "a").

Magda's short for Magdalena, which is much more common in Poland.

I visited Poland six times during the 80s. The Russians would have iinvaded if the Polish authorities hadn't declared their own martial law in 1981, but certainly in eastern Poland (Bialystok) a few tanks came over the border.

Once the Berlin wall came down in 1989 all that nonsense pretty well finished. Though if it happened anywhere in the 80s it would have been a very isolated occurrence. Magda would have had to be very young indeed...

Shit, I can't believe I'm writing this in a Lead Ballon thread!

Come on - it's all the same. Eastern Eirope is Eastern Europe!

Quote: thelegendary stardustcowboy @ December 5 2008, 1:05 PM GMT

I f**king hate people who use the word basically all the time, in fact, at any time.

Edited by Aaron.

Basically I agree.

Quote: David Chapman @ December 7 2008, 7:16 PM GMT

Eastern Eirope is Eastern Europe!

No. It's not.

Dan

Is it Western Europe?

Quote: David Chapman @ December 8 2008, 12:32 PM GMT

Is it Western Europe?

Don't be silly David. Imagine you landed the part of a butler in a Russian sitcom..."Where's he come from?" "Dunno, Portugal, I think." "Doesn't matter, s'all Western Europe innit?"

Not such a bad idea, that. We could cast Aaron from Paris.

I agree that Eastern Europe's Eastern Europe. It's all pretty much the same. Especially in terms of a character in a sitcom.

Quote: chipolata @ December 8 2008, 1:05 PM GMT

I agree that Eastern Europe's Eastern Europe. It's all pretty much the same. Especially in terms of a character in a sitcom.

I think we'll stick you in Belgium.

:)

See!

Another great episode. Although I really have to say that when it genuinely isn't his fault, I'd like Rick to come out on top for once.

I'm glad Sam and Ben got back together, they're much better as a double act and that Spikey guy would have gotten very annoying after more than one episode.