I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,243

Billy - why are you comparing the figures to 1985 & 1969?
In 2018 it was 616,010 as compared to a projected 681,533 this year.
There are significantly above average deaths compared to the five year average (2015-2020).
The excess deaths figure is widely reported at around 60-70 thousand - as you say some will undoubtedly be due to cancelled treatments etc due to overstretched resources - which, of course, would only have been worse if we'd let the virus spin even further out of control.
BTW, I wonder if Stephen slags you off for doing some research - or maybe its just me!

Quote: Lazzard @ 20th December 2020, 9:41 AM

Why wasn't the London travel ban immediate.
Carnage at London stations last night - guaranteed transmission of the new super-spreader variant.
And, as usual, the conscientious are punished - the selfish, rewarded.
Or, Tory Policy as it's otherwise known.

It doesn't help with that f**king twat Kublai Khan as Mayor "running" Transport for London.

Quote: Lazzard @ 20th December 2020, 3:46 PM

Billy - why are you comparing the figures to 1985 & 1969?

Well, of course, it was fullfact.org that compared this year's figures with 1985. Not me. Presumably because that year had the highest figures in recent years. I then merely pointed out that 1969, with its Hong Kong Flu epidemic would have been higher.

My intention was to provide some source, as you requested, to back up the point that Stephen was making that this year's figures were not necessarily markedly higher than certain other years that many people on these forums will have lived through, especially when you take into account the increasing and ageing population. Of course some years will also have been lower.

What about 1958? Apparently there was a pandemic then which was largely ignored.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 20th December 2020, 8:18 PM

My intention was to provide some source, as you requested, to back up the point that Stephen was making that this year's figures were not necessarily markedly higher than certain other years that many people on these forums will have lived through

That's not remotely the point he was making
He said they were well within average.
Which they aren't.
But thanks anyway.

It depends on where you look and what you trust for facts and statistics.
They vary from each site. (I wonder why that could be)

And my point was - it's not an extraordinary year for deaths
I'm not going to wrangle with you that my site is more accurate than yours as I too have found much variance between figures even the .gov.uk site.

There is no standard figures over the last 10 years as it varies up and down but this year, there is no unusual massive peak - as was predicted.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 21st December 2020, 9:18 AM

...my site...

Which site?

Quote: Chappers @ 20th December 2020, 8:47 PM

What about 1958? Apparently there was a pandemic then which was largely ignored.

That's because, back then, we didn't have a government whose sole objective was to scare the populace into submission (or by reckless pronouncements to scare the governments of 40 other countries into cutting us off), a relentless compliant 24 hour media who were intent on creating as much panic as possible (whether by publishing death figures on a daily basis or by constant warning of food shortages) or an opposition that was about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Even pandemics were better in the olden days.

What is the Daily Mails utter fetish with what Myleene Klass is wearing?

Quote: Lazzard @ 22nd December 2020, 9:59 AM

Even pandemics were better in the olden days.

No, just the politicians. And the media.

Quote: Bob Carolvorderman @ 22nd December 2020, 6:31 PM

It's more to do with what she isn't wearing

Quote: Bob Carolvorderman @ 22nd December 2020, 6:31 PM

Cheaper than paying for a model and better looking than Amanda Holden. It is wearing thin , they need a new free model, any ideas ?

Mr Paul Manafort, 70, was among the first in the President's inner circle to face charges brought by special counsel Robert Mueller.

Last year he was convicted of five counts of tax fraud, one count of failing to disclose foreign bank accounts, conspiracy against the United States and conspiracy to obstruct justice.PARDONED!

Mr Kushner, father of the President's son-in-law Jared Kushner, was sentenced to two years in prison after pleading guilty in 2004 to 18 counts of tax evasion, witness tampering and making unlawful campaign donations.
Charles Kushner admitted to smearing his brother-in-law, who had cooperated with prosecutors, by hiring a prostitute to have sex with him in a motel room, then sending a secretly recorded video of the encounter to the man's wife, Charles Kushner's own sister.PARDONED!

Pardon?