I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,246

I think that Starmer or someone like him is about the only person who could win the next election. He's not true Labour despite his moniker, but he is in the middle almost like a sort of Christian Democrat. And that I suspect is what people will want given the damage through gross negligence and blatant corruption of the Tories and the out of touch version of Labour that is at odds with itself.
Personally speaking the sooner we head toward the middle and recognise the need to rebuild the crumbling infrastructure of this country the better.

Well said.

I think his positioning is spot on - just don't think he's the man for the job.

I agree but if he consolidates the position and sets the path then thats not a bad start. In 40 years the history syllabus in schools will refer to this period as the 'Age of the idiots' We have fought each other to a rotten standstill and unless we return to a modicum of cooperation and stability then things we get even worse,
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and its important that it stays that way, but alongside that we all need to understand that 'Facts' have to steer us out of this mess not various interpretations of them .
As it stands this country is being led by a fool who will say anything to keep himself in power for another 24 hours and will do anything to placate the right wing media.
He cites Churchill a man who let Coventry be decimated by bombers rather than tip the Nazis hand about Enigma and yet he can't even tell parents to keep their kids home in case people 'Don't like him'
We face tough times ahead with a trade transition that lacks clarity and a virus that is out of control and if there is one thing that would help us all it is to come together and face facts not continually argue about each other versions of them.

Right wing media??? Which?

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 3rd January 2021, 2:30 PM

I thought Which? was a consumer magazine. Bloody fascists! Angry

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 3rd January 2021, 2:30 PM

Ummm you do know who owns the majority of newspapers in this country???

Ste if you don't know know mate then I can't tell you. As it stands we have newspapers that whip up hysteria for sales and who pay serving conservatives and their partners to write columns and opinions.
The only left wing stuff I see comes via individuals on the likes of Twitter, I'm not saying it doesn't exist I just don't see it in the Telegraph Mail, Grundian Express, Sun or the Star.

I'm sure you lefties think that anything slightly to the right of your thoughts is right wing.

Ste I'm not a leftie or a rightie as that requires the need to accept dogma over rational thought. I take stuff from either column. For instance I admire Micheal Heseltines brand of conservatism as its honest but firm. And if I juxtapose him with the actions of Jacob Rees Mogg I can see the difference.
I read Alan Clarks Diaries back in the day and one of the insults aimed at Heseltine at the time was that he was 'A great man who had bought all his own furniture' In other words he was scoffed at for being self made as opposed to inheriting his wealth and for me that was not a put down it was amore a clear indication of his ability.
Now take Jeremy Corbyn , I think he is a decent man with a students outlook but that his adherence to Leninism is pathetic. Meanwhile I live in a constituency were Labour go through on the nod as such I have never seen my MP and people in my area pay bedroom tax if they fall out of work while the borough leader an alleged Labour man gets £135,000 PA.
So I'm not left or right but I am big on fairness and rational thought when faced with a singular fact on a singular issue,
Thats not me sitting on the fence thats just my way of dealing with the reality.

So in summary Heseltine was a decent bloke because he was a self made man and dyslexic. Another good point ! He also understood economics (as did Vince Cable) unlike Moggy and Borrisy. We seem to like reality show spin Dr type MPs currently; Farage & Trump, rather than career politicians that understand how diplomacy & economics work. America seems to have realised that mistake.

He and the EU transformed Liverpool thats why I remain a remainer as I could see and feel the benefits. That said I visited Dewsbury earlier this year and I was shocked out how desolate and forgotten it looked and felt so if I lived there I might have a difference stance.
We have our own 'Rust Belt' but its in pockets and not politically organised so I can see why they want change as no matter what comes down the line has to be better .

Quote: lofthouse @ 2nd January 2021, 10:48 PM

The public are deeply unhappy with the government's handling of the coronavirus pandemic and the Brexit negotiations, a damning new poll suggests.

The poll predicts that if a general election were held tomorrow neither the Conservatives nor Labour would win an outright majority. Disturbingly for Boris Johnson, the survey says the Conservatives would lose 81 seats, wiping out the 80-seat majority they won in December 2019

I think you'll find that sort of result after any election and the ensuing Government's (in)actions.

Agreed, I think a progressive, centralist ideal is better for all but who's the singer in the band that's at times the real decision maker. 'I don't like him he's too right wing', 'I don't like her she's too left wing' etc. it seems to be a decision on personalities than policy. Be interesting to see if a referendum based democracy would be better than representative; representative is what we have now, you have a choice of two main parties, two lesser ones and a fringe lot. People can vote for Party A because of a class or regional affiliation etc. as an alternative to that, what if people were allowed to vote on core issues; defence, economy, education, health, immigration etc. and there be a tally up of all people's votes, they wouldn't be voting for Tom Tory or Lucy Labour, but on a semi-neutral governing body who create and implement a manifesto based on the results of the tally. Yes, not everyone will be happy with the results but you're not voting for a party but voting for a policy, or rather a lot of policies. Hang on, I think Peter Cook did a film like this. May have to trawl YouTube for it.

Aggressive highly sexual squirrel attacks reported in NYC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRbpbEc9f7w

(Kimberley Richardson - I've had her - or did I?) Wave