I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,239

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 15th December 2020, 8:55 AM

...The hysteria of left wing media mongers has caused this rabid distortion ...... we want the right to be proud of our own country

Brexit arguments were too black and white, as was Trumpisum. Most of us are patriotic, why wouldn't we be ? We just have different views on what's best for the country we love. You get racisms left and right.

The problem was populism presented too simplistic a view of Brexit. Some boiled it down to immigration alone, when that's a tiny part of the consequences. Just as Trump ignored the Science on covid, we ignored the experts during Brexit and listened to Bojo et al. I suspect that will change as it has in America. No point arguing about it now, we'll see and feel the consequences soon enough.

Lets all stop arguing and instead concentrate on the great benefits of Brexit that are coming our way..... on second thoughts carry on folks.

Quote: Lazzard @ 15th December 2020, 9:57 AM

Or your trolling.

Like you did to me, you mean, when I was pointing out the danger that the original lockdown would have on the economy, on unemployment, on non-covid illnesses due to the cancellation of scheduled operations & treatment, on mental health issues and on education (all of which have now come to pass).

Come to pass? You haven't been mixing with the Mormons have you Billy? The next thing you know you'll have teeth like Donny Osmond and 5 wives.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 15th December 2020, 10:18 AM

It was you who mentioned racists with your clever little ditty?? all racist voted for Brexit etc

Wrong again.
I didn't bring it up.
I was responding to Chris Hallam - agreeing with him that the majority of Brexit voters WEREN'T racist.
Also, you don't own patriotism.
I love this country - hence my sadness at this retrograde step.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 15th December 2020, 11:10 AM

Like you did to me, you mean, when I was pointing out the danger that the original lockdown would have on the economy, on unemployment, on non-covid illnesses due to the cancellation of scheduled operations & treatment, on mental health issues and on education (all of which have now come to pass).

That's not trolling.
That's disagreeing.
Trolling is getting your kicks by purposely trying to wind people up and start arguements.
And, frankly, not something I can be arsed with.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 15th December 2020, 8:55 AM

we want the right to be proud of our own country,

Me too.
Currently finding it quite hard.

Its a waste of time arguing or citing facts with Brexit it really is as neither side will cede ground and neither side will change their minds.
And if as expected by Remainers it goes tits up then the Leavers fall back position will be to blame the Europeans so I don't see an end to it at all.
And if it does supply sunny lit uplands the Remainers will say it was 'Jammy'.
For me it was a mistake on a grand scale and will be proven so.
When we voted in it devastated my city as our ports faced West and America turned its eye to its own West and trade with the Far East so the bulk of the trade went to the channel ports . So it looks like Scousers will get just as f**ked going out that we got going in.
We face mass unemployment and anyone who wants to contradict that would do well to tell me specifically where the jobs are coming from? .
Because as it stands my city is filled with hotels and we do well from tourism and Stag weekends etc not to mention foreign students and an airport that mainly caters to short haul Euro destinations , It will all go and nothing will replace it only deprivation and civil disturbance. That's what I think and I would be delighted to be proved wrong I genuinely would.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 15th December 2020, 2:01 PM

Because as it stands my city is filled with hotels and we do well from tourism and Stag weekends etc not to mention foreign students and an airport that mainly caters to short haul Euro destinations , It will all go and nothing will replace it only deprivation and civil disturbance.

Why would tourism go away? I don't live in the EU, but I've never had a problem visiting the UK. It's not as if you're building a new Berlin Wall.

Apart from some initial sour grapes, which might stifle travel (and of course Covid) I think European tourism will depend on the value of the pound.
Ironically the combination of predicted slower growth and a need to entice inward investment would pre-suppose a fall in sterling - making the UK a good value destination.
All is not lost, Paddy.

Quote: Lazzard @ 15th December 2020, 1:25 PM

That's not trolling.
That's disagreeing.
Trolling is getting your kicks by purposely trying to wind people up and start arguements.
And, frankly, not something I can be arsed with.

As Michael Palin might have said at the Argument Clinic, before reaching hitting on the head lessons, "disagreeing is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition. It is not mere personal abuse, exaggeration and saying FFS periodically".

You know what, I really can't be bothered.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 15th December 2020, 10:50 AM

Lets all stop arguing and instead concentrate on the great benefits of Brexit that are coming our way..... on second thoughts carry on folks.

Remember the out campaign red bus?

The NHS is going to have more money than it knows what to do with soon

Anyone remember the Nick Griffin appearance on Question Time a few years ago? The protests outside the studio and vitriolic abuse were shameful. I disagree with everything he said or stood for, but in a just and fair society EVERYONE has a right to speak their mind, left or right, devout or atheist, or whether you're pro LGBT or against. To resort to name calling and abuse is the most intolerant behaviour of all.

Quote: DaButt @ 15th December 2020, 3:47 PM

Why would tourism go away? I don't live in the EU, but I've never had a problem visiting the UK. It's not as if you're building a new Berlin Wall.

You seem to like visiting the UK, DaButt.
What is the attraction?
I'm genuinely interested.

Quote: john tregorran @ 15th December 2020, 7:35 PM

You seem to like visiting the UK, DaButt.
What is the attraction?

I like traveling in general and I could find good things to say about everywhere I've visited. I love cask ale and pubs in general. The locals have always been friendly, there's no language barrier, and things are just different enough that it's a novelty, but not so much so that it feels like a different planet. That's how I feel a visit to a place like Japan or India would be.

One of these days I'll make it to Australia. I came very close to having to make a last-minute trip to the west for business, but it didn't materialize.

You forgot to mention the glorious U.K. weather