I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,009

Quote: Briosaid @ 5th February 2019, 11:48 PM

Liam Neeson, anybody???

What an idiot for admitting to something that there is no evidence of. "Hey, watch me destroy my career!"

The old adage is wrong: there is such a thing as bad publicity.

Quote: Briosaid @ 5th February 2019, 11:48 PM

Liam Neeson, anybody???

His reaction was perfectly normal: I don't say it was rational or commendable but it was absolutely normal.

Imagine a big tough alpha male from England, Ireland, Scotland or Wales whose woman-friend has recently been raped by a man from one of the other three countries. The alpha male is walking along the street one night and is accosted by an argumentative man who has just come out of a pub: the man's accent clearly identifies him as hailing from the same country as the rapist.

Would we expect the alpha male's reaction to be influenced by the man's nationality? Of course we would! The man's accent would throw petrol onto the flames of an already incendiary situation.

Remember, Liam Neeson didn't say he went out looking for a random black man upon whom to vent his anger: he said he hoped he would be accosted in the street by a black man intent on "having a go" at him. Under those circumstances, had he exploded in a violent rage and attacked the black man and done him significant harm, he would have been reacting in exactly the way many millions of other men with the same immediate background would have reacted in the same circumstances.

I think he'll survive this furore and may even profit from it, reputation-wise.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 6th February 2019, 12:58 AM

His reaction was perfectly normal: I don't say it was rational or commendable but it was absolutely normal.

I'm no alpha male, but I can't say that I would react the same way. I find it very easy to distinguish between individuals and entire races/genders/nationalities. Maybe it's a UK thing, since some Welsh guy wanted to have a go at me in a London pub 12 years ago because I was an American. I was baffled.

Yeah great guy, ask anyone who knows him. And very honest too it seems. Was it wise to be this honest and open? Probably not with the hysterical way people react today to alleged acts of racism. Will it harm his career, possibly it will, because weak liberal film execs will want to protect their own interests and give in to the rabid clamour to outcast those who dare oppose political correctness. As the late Eric Bristow said 'It's pathetic that grown men now are too scared to speak their mind because if they do they'll lose their jobs.' That's the scourge that is trial by social media over anything that crosses their PC boundaries. It's f**king ludicrous and without any just reason or scale.

The point he was making that his own instant reaction shocked him and he sought to stop that happening again has been completely ignored by hysterical PCers who seem to sit on social media waiting for the tiniest stories to shock them so they can spout off their outrage at racists, sexists, god knows whatists now. So once again the crime of racism becomes a far greater one than the crime of rape. It is utter nuts how distorted things have become.
:S

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 6th February 2019, 5:49 AM

The point he was making that his own instant reaction shocked him and he sought to stop that happening again has been completely ignored
:S

Exactly.

Something I struggle with these days, is when something's dredged up from somebody's far-distant past, and they are crucified for it in present day. I'm sure we've all held opinions about something when we were young which we've long since changed our views on. Does it depend how bad then thing was?

Quote: Briosaid @ 6th February 2019, 5:30 PM

Does it depend how bad the thing was?

Basically, yes.

The main snag is that different people have different definitions of "bad": different people also have different ideas about how bad a bad thing is.

Another snag is that there are many sides to every story: if you hear bad things about a person, it would be folly to let your opinion of that person be influenced before you've heard his/her side of the story. Clearly, however, if the person is an internationally famous celebrity, your chances of hearing their side of the story as you both enjoy a quiet drink together are somewhat remote - and newspaper reports are famously unreliable and often biased.

To my mind, unless the alleged offences are truly horrendous and the evidence overwhelming, it's always a good idea to live and let live.

Quote: DaButt @ 6th February 2019, 1:25 AM

I'm no alpha male, but I can't say that I would react the same way. I find it very easy to distinguish between individuals and entire races/genders/nationalities. Maybe it's a UK thing, since some Welsh guy wanted to have a go at me in a London pub 12 years ago because I was an American. I was baffled.

It's not just the Welsh. We all hate the Yanks!

Quote: Briosaid @ 6th February 2019, 5:30 PM

Exactly.

Something I struggle with these days, is when something's dredged up from somebody's far-distant past, and they are crucified for it in present day. I'm sure we've all held opinions about something when we were young which we've long since changed our views on. Does it depend how bad then thing was?

Exactly. Before you grew up you used to hate the Tories and the Royal Family.

Quote: Chappers @ 6th February 2019, 9:31 PM

Exactly. Before you grew up you used to hate the Tories and the Royal Family.

Actually It's the opposite way round. My mother was a royalist and voted Tory (why the Hell would a wee wumman up a close in Govan vote Tory?) and she tried to brainwash me. Luckily I grew up and learned sense.

And by the way, Donald Tusk is my latest hero. Laughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loud

Quote: Briosaid @ 6th February 2019, 11:33 PM

And by the way, Donald Trump is my greatest hero.

I knew it all along. All that bluster against him was typical female subterfuge for a raging passion you can't consummate. Don't worry he'll be back in Blighty soon. Lovey

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 7th February 2019, 8:14 AM

I knew it all along. All that bluster against him was typical female subterfuge for a raging passion you can't consummate. Don't worry he'll be back in Blighty soon. Lovey

I'll be waiting for him with a large heap of dung balls at the ready. Come to think of it, I know a couple of people in Lewis so maybe they would send me a stash just to make him feel really at home.

Does anybody know What the legal mechanism is for having a Prime Minister proclaimed insane?

Weak would be a closer description.

Quote: Briosaid @ 10th February 2019, 9:19 PM

proclaimed insane?

I'm not sure of the exact procedure but I believe it involves walking 500 miles.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 11th February 2019, 10:30 AM

I'm not sure of the exact procedure but I believe it involves walking 500 miles.

Laughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loud

Jokers please: first human Mars mission may need onboard comedians

Researchers are working with Nasa to see if clowns help team cohesion on long space missions

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2019/feb/15/jokers-please-first-human-mars-mission-may-need-onboard-comedians