I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,010

Quote: DaButt @ 16th February 2019, 4:01 AM

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2019/feb/15/jokers-please-first-human-mars-mission-may-need-onboard-comedians

Stupid headline and stupid opening line:
"Wanted: smart, fit and unflappable applicants for humanity's first mission to Mars. Must have: crazy wig, oversized boots and a big red nose."
Stupid writing and stupid editing. Yeah, put f**king Ronald McDonald in full costume on your next mission and have him perform some Three Stooges antics. Oh, you mean, teams might perform better if there's someone with a good sense of humor who can defuse tense or combative situations? Just f**king say that then, don't write an article that claims a f**king clown in full costume is going to be sent into space. Who's the f**kwit who wrote that? Ian Sample. Well, Ian, save the retarded hyperbole for when you're chatting with a new puppy, don't insert it into what is supposed to be a serious (?) newspaper.

I don't think anyone has ever considered the Guardian to be a serious newspaper.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 16th February 2019, 6:33 PM

I don't think anyone has ever considered the Guardian to be a serious newspaper.

The people of Manchester for a start?

What compared with The Sun and The Star and The Mirror? - f**king comics

I couldn't tell you the last time I bought a newspaper, no wonder there's so many fly's in my house. I'll have to start after them with a tea towel.

Quote: lofthouse @ 16th February 2019, 8:58 PM

What compared with The Sun and The Star and The Mirror? - f**king comics

I'd rather read a paper that shows tits than one that's written by tits.

They don't just demean sisters daughters mothers aunts nieces and cousins they also accuse the dead of things. The Sun is not a newspaper it is views of one man , as such anyone working on it has to readily accept and promote his views as such no actual journalists work on it, what they use is people with no personal morals. It is a vile paper that panders to the same things that put Despots into power .

It's all about class and your social group really. People around you read The Sun, so you read The Sun. People around you read The Guardian, so you read The Guardian.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 17th February 2019, 9:04 AM

It's all about class and your social group really. People around you read The Sun, so you read The Sun. People around you read The Guardian, so you read The Guardian.

Yes. When I was a kid, I remember my dad sitting in his chair, sorting out his horses from the Daily Mirror before having a general gander at the news. I'd keep casually swanning in and out of the room, waiting for the exact moment he folded a bunch of pages behind the puzzle section so I could 'help' him with the crossword and any other word-related puzzles. Daily Mirror every single day.

Then...I started work one day and, having never had a proper job before (just school/college) I looked to her for everything, really. Luckily (for me only, I think), we shared the same lunch time, so I followed her to the bakers to get a sausage roll and then to the sweet shop to get a packet of beef crisps and a Sun newspaper (here we go). We sat opposite each other in our manager's office, ate our lunch and read the newspaper. Looking back, it was quite a creepy thing for me to do.

However, I found the crossword really easy...and, after my first day, I returned home with said newspaper and left it by the front door, on the telephone table. You remember, the ones strong enough to house, not only a massive heavy telephone, but three ten inch thick books full of numbers we would never use...also with a seat for the longer chats, because the phone was tied to the wall in those days. Anyway, I digress.

My dad came in from work and I remember sitting watching TV in the front room and his face appearing round the door with raised eyebrows...then my newspaper came into the room on the end of an outstretched arm...and, with his other hand pointing to the paper's name, he simply said, "You reckon?"

That's all he said and I never saw the paper again. I still bought it at work (but didn't bring it home), because a paper was just a paper to me back then, but now I get it. He had already found a paper he trusted, whether other people did or not, HE did...and wouldn't be swayed. He was a working class bloke and he liked his horses...and the news in the Daily Mirror was dished out just as he liked it.

The thing is, that Sun newspaper was easier for me to read and digest at that age...and, because I didn't know much about the world or about politics etc. I felt very pleased with myself that I could get a better understanding of these things now. BUT...now I realize the easier a newspaper is to read, the more young people like me, or indeed people with less reading ability, would latch on to it and feel the same as I did back then.

I later met a man who reads the Independent every day, without fail. He never reads anything else. He's an optician and his outlook on politics and the world in general is so different to how my dad's used to be (he's dead now).

So, yeah...I guess we're drawn to a level of language we can understand at different stages of our lives...and that's quite scary, when you think about it. COFFEE!

Paul I disagree its about what you are prepared to accept. After the Sun accused the victims of Hillsborough The Sun was taken out of all shops in Liverpool by people power. I am a working class person who works on below minimum wage and who has had no formal education? But I read the Guardian most days, so either I'm an anomaly or its not about class its about taste.

Many years ago, I heard somebody remark with approval that the best thing about the Daily Mirror was that you could find a copy several weeks old and still enjoy reading it.

There's a lesson there for comedy writers and performers: there's no need to be topical as long as you're entertaining.

Are we the dumber -- or the wiser -- for being able to pick and choose whatever "news" we want from social media, rather than purchasing and perusing a printed newspaper?

I miss the days of reading Letters to the Editor, which were often worth reading, as opposed to silly comments on shared "news" posts on Facebook. I miss "quick" and cryptic crosswords, as opposed to ad-filled, glassy tappity-tap app games. I don't miss Garfield and other crappy newspaper comics (which made Doonesbury [and later, Dilbert] look intellectual).

A good indicator of a newspaper's quality was whether it had a horoscope. If it did, it was a paper intended for retards. I used to write the horoscope for an Asian newspaper. Much fun.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 17th February 2019, 11:06 AM

Paul I disagree its about what you are prepared to accept. After the Sun accused the victims of Hillsborough The Sun was taken out of all shops in Liverpool by people power. I am a working class person who works on below minimum wage and who has had no formal education? But I read the Guardian most days, so either I'm an anomaly or its not about class its about taste.

This is also true, but there are so many factors that would encourage a person to read from a certain source. Age, experience, reading ability, naivety...to name but a few...and, in some cases, there will be people who want to fit into a social group they believe they belong in, so will follow the trend of what that group feels is acceptable.

Also, there are certain writing styles that just don't sit right with some people. If I start reading an article that's shouting facts and figures at me, I really don't want to carry on. However, I also don't want to feel patronized and treated like I'm the writer's friend and listen to a load of old cheesy shit. I just want to know what the fackinell's going on!

I can read any news article now and not be sucked in as I was MANY years ago, because I bring, not only my own experiences into the mix, but also everything I've seen happen to others, both on a personal and global level. I try not to read the internet too much, but we do have a wealth of information at our fingertips now...and, if I still feel something doesn't sound right, I can always ask Twitter :-)

The Racing Post is my daily newspaper of choice and I pick up the Metro when I can so that I can attempt the cryptic crossword over morning coffee or afternoon tea (and to read its letters page). For political updates & news (and for its Saturday TV listings magazine) I read the Daily Mail and to catch up with Peter Hitchens' voice of reason amongst all the ludicrousness going on in today's world it's the Mail on Sunday.

More to the point, what do people think about Begum? I'm trying not to say 'about bloody Begum.'