I read the news today oh boy! Page 131

Quote: sootyj @ May 20 2010, 11:24 AM BST

So frankly Kim Jung il could throw his excrement at Barrack and get away with it.

That I'd like to see!

True, America has enough wars on as it is at the moment, I'm speaking metaphorically as well!) No way they'll invade North Korea.

Quote: Paul W @ May 20 2010, 1:37 PM BST

True, America has enough wars on as it is at the moment, I'm speaking metaphorically as well!) No way they'll invade North Korea.

This is a South Korean problem, not an American problem. We'd back them if they fought, of course, but the U.S. has been slowly removing troops from the peninsula and moving them down south and away from the DMZ. The Koreans have a very respectable military capability and in a few years they are supposed to assume full control of the situation, meaning that Korean generals would be in charge of any hostilities involving U.S. troops. They've made a few noises about pushing that date back, but it'll happen eventually.

The thing that'll stop it accelerating it DPRK general's are the elite of DPRK society. They get all the goodies and have no interest in having a JDAM drop on their Mercedes.

This is all bullshit to pressure their own government to give them more stuff.

If this didn't start a war then nothing will.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_Air_Flight_858

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20100520/video/vod-bus-driver-nearly-hits-baby-sat-in-b-dfc7e2c.html

Ok, so it's not to be read. :P

What an interesting interpretation of the word "busy".

Quote: Aaron @ May 20 2010, 9:56 PM BST

What an interesting interpretation of the word "busy".

My city makes the news again. Errr

It was obviously late at night, but the fact that a bus route runs down the street makes it clear that it's a major road. It's probably a part of town that you wouldn't want to drive through at night anyway.

Do buses only run on major roads then? Not any particularly local services?

Quote: DaButt @ May 20 2010, 11:29 PM BST

My city makes the news again. Errr

It was obviously late at night, but the fact that a bus route runs down the street makes it clear that it's a major road. It's probably a part of town that you wouldn't want to drive through at night anyway.

Illegals?

Quote: Aaron @ May 20 2010, 11:36 PM BST

Do buses only run on major roads then? Not any particularly local services?

The routes are going to be on "major" roads in order to get from Point A to Point B as quickly as possible, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who use the bus for local routes. Like most U.S. cities which don't suffer from a lack of parking (New York, San Francisco, etc.), only the lower class ride the bus. Everyone else drives if they can afford a car and value their time.

The nearest bus stop is at a hospital 5 miles from my house. If I were to make the 10-minute drive, I'd have to switch buses 2 times and take a meandering route that would get me to the vicinity of my office in a little under 2 hours. I can make the same 12-mile drive in 15 minutes.

Quote: Oldrocker @ May 20 2010, 11:36 PM BST

Illegals?

Not necessarily. White guys like myself are in the minority here in San Antonio, but most of our Hispanic brethren are here legally.

Jesus. That's insane.

Quote: DaButt @ May 21 2010, 12:17 AM BST

I can make the same 12-mile drive in 15 minutes.

Average speed 48mph.

Is the speed limit still 55mph?

If so it's you that's the illegal ! :O

I got done for speeding in Arizona in 1982. My case came up five days after I arrived back in UK so I didn't attend court.

Bill Cosby reckons that speeding tickets are like savings bonds and increase in value as each year passes.

On that basis it's either the chair or repaying the US deficit if ever I go back !

:P

Quote: Oldrocker @ May 21 2010, 12:58 AM BST

Is the speed limit still 55mph?

No, the national speed limit was repealed in 1995 and control was returned to the states.

Most of my commute is on a 70 MPH freeway, so I usually do about 75. I-10 from east of El Paso to west of San Antonio (about 500 miles of nothingness) has an 80 MPH limit.

That's some shockingly bad public transport.

Even when I lived in smaller towns buses were every 10 minutes and usually you were within 15 minutes walk of a stop.

Mind you I used the excelent national journey planner when I was in a village to find a bus to the train station. And it gave me an ETA of 2 days.

I walked it.

Team of researchers create a new life form!

"It was a dream that began nearly 15 years ago, when Craig Venter, a Vietnam veteran turned geneticist, resolved one day to create a genome from scratch - and with it, make the first ever synthetic life form. Last night, in a dramatic announcement that led some to accuse him of playing God, Venter said the dream had come true, saying he had created an organism with manmade DNA."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/may/20/craig-venter-synthetic-life-genome