Why did 'Oh Dr Beeching!' end? Page 2

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ November 19 2009, 10:34 AM GMT

Have you not answered your own question?

Probably. However, I don't know for sure. I've heard one of the writers of Come Back Mrs Noah (might have been Croft) say that the reason it was canned was because he was out of the country at the time. Whereas the reason usually given is it was awful. That said, I've read the odd review that says it was great. So sometimes the reason isn't always obvious perhaps?

Quote: Godot Taxis @ November 20 2009, 12:31 AM GMT

This bloke.

I hate to say this about anyone, but he's comedy death.

it must be a matter of taste sometimes because I thought he was good in Hi-De-Hi! and You Rang, M'Lord?. But with Beeching he was basically playing the same character as in You Rang - only even more pompous. It was too much of the same but also without the humour.

Quote: Jack Massey @ November 19 2009, 10:44 PM GMT

Never watched it myself, but I could see it being a poor mans You Rang, M'Lord?. I quite liked You Rang, M'Lord?, but seen the odd clip of Beeching and I just don't fancy it as I like Croft, but only with Perry. Dad's Army is the best sitcom ever, It Ain't Half Hot Mum was great, Hi-De-Hi! was good fun and I enjoyed You Rang, M'Lord?. But don't like Croft's shows when not with Perry, such as 'Allo 'Allo! and Are You Being Served?, so seeing as there is no Perry, I doubt I'd like it.

Never really watched 'Allo 'Allo!. But Are You Being Served? is brillant in my book - better that It Ain't Half Hot Mum - although that was quite good.

Quote: Oldrocker @ November 20 2009, 12:41 AM GMT

I'm with that nice Mr Cameron (Gordon is poo!).

I like ODB.

And I'm a railfan as well ! (no, not Trainspotter, although I was when much younger)

:)

Maybe I should give it a 3rd go?
Huh?

Quote: Godot Taxis @ November 20 2009, 12:31 AM GMT

This bloke.

I hate to say this about anyone, but he's comedy death.

Can we be polite and refer to him by his name, please? Jeffrey Holland.

So it's Jeffrey Holland who is "comedy death". :)

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 20 2009, 1:30 AM GMT

Can we be polite and refer to him by his name, please? Jeffrey Holland.

So it's Jeffrey Holland who is "comedy death". :)

First rule of comedy, Spike.

The co-writer of the show, Richard Spendlove, is a DJ now

A Dic Jockey?

No a Dead Janitor.

A branch line comedy which faced the axe.

Quote: David Carmon @ November 19 2009, 8:41 PM BST

I liked Oh Doctor Beeching! It WAS funny!

So there! :$

+1

I very much enjoyed ODB. The settings, the train station, the station canteen, the typical little houses near the station, the sign house, were all so nicely done. The cast was also good.
Maybe not thé funniest sitcom, but very enjoyable in my view.

Quote: Frederick @ August 18 2011, 11:03 AM BST

+1

I very much enjoyed ODB. The settings, the train station, the station canteen, the typical little houses near the station, the sign house, were all so nicely done. The cast was also good.

Do you have the feeling you know too much...?

Quote: Frederick @ August 18 2011, 11:03 AM BST

+1

I agree with the above. It was a decent enough sitcom, though it ended without much resolution(IIRC.).

Sorry to bump a old thread. I want to watch this as I work on the railways.

My husband was an engine driver you know

When what company did he work with? Smarmy

I still need to buy this on DVD, it is an enjoyable sitcom, should have been given another series.

Quote: David Carmon @ June 20 2013, 9:55 PM BST

I still need to buy this on DVD, it is an enjoyable sitcom, should have been given another series.

Agreed it's a shame it didn't get enough praise for it.