Why did 'Oh Dr Beeching!' end?

Anyone know? I like David Croft's other stuff - some of it a lot. But I thought Beeching was poor. I rewatched to give it another chance - but no. I wanted to find it funny but couldn't laugh. Two faults as I see it - the basic situation and time setting was not justified. And the laughs weren't funny.

It seems to me that it just slipped under the radar for me. It may be an age thing? I had followed 'Hi-De-Hi!' and 'You Rang M'Lord?' but by the time of Beeching I was 21 and getting out and doing stuff. So I think, maybe, some of the audience for that kind of stuff had come-of-age. That's my reason anyway.

Do people really like this sort of stuff here? Maybe I'm in the wrong place Huh?

I remember it getting very good ratings so people were still watching it. I think they just decided not to give it another series. A few sitcoms were culled around the same time within a year or so.

Next of Kin
Birds Of A Feather
Men Behaving Badly
Dad
Keeping Mum
Chalk

All BBC1 and all axed within the same 2 years 1997/8

Quote: Steve Charlie @ November 19 2009, 8:24 AM GMT

Anyone know? I like David Croft's other stuff - some of it a lot. But I thought Beeching was poor. I rewatched to give it another chance - but no. I wanted to find it funny but couldn't laugh. Two faults as I see it - the basic situation and time setting was not justified. And the laughs weren't funny.

Have you not answered your own question?

Quote: the science eel @ November 19 2009, 9:43 AM GMT

Do people really like this sort of stuff here? Maybe I'm in the wrong place Huh?

--- said the white-van man when he realised it was a gay stripper bar. Whereupon he was gang-banged then politely asked to leave.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ November 19 2009, 10:34 AM GMT

Have you not answered your own question?

Quite!

And weren't the episodes an hour long? I find it terribly, terribly difficult to get through shows of that length.

Surely the the question should be "Why did 'Oh Dr Beeching!' start?".

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 19 2009, 2:02 PM GMT

Surely the the question should be "Why did 'Oh Dr Beeching!' start?".

Precisely.

I liked Oh Doctor Beeching! It WAS funny!

So there! :$

Never watched it myself, but I could see it being a poor mans You Rang, M'Lord?. I quite liked You Rang, M'Lord?, but seen the odd clip of Beeching and I just don't fancy it as I like Croft, but only with Perry. Dad's Army is the best sitcom ever, It Ain't Half Hot Mum was great, Hi-De-Hi! was good fun and I enjoyed You Rang, M'Lord?. But don't like Croft's shows when not with Perry, such as 'Allo 'Allo! and Are You Being Served?, so seeing as there is no Perry, I doubt I'd like it.

It was just full of references like things costing two and sixpence or how silly things seem in retrospect.

This bloke.

I hate to say this about anyone, but he's comedy death.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ November 20 2009, 12:31 AM GMT

This bloke.

I hate to say this about anyone, but he's comedy death.

He wasn't the most likeable of the cast anyway lols, but I think comedy death is a bit strong. Maybe a slight bit of nob rot.

I'm with that nice Mr Cameron (Gordon is poo!).

I like ODB.

And I'm a railfan as well ! (no, not Trainspotter, although I was when much younger)

:)