Vicious - Series 1 Page 16

This show did grow on me as it progressed and I did grow to like the characters more. I must admit that I tended to use it as a sort of aperitif to the greater enjoyment of The Job Lot.

I liked the Penelope character. Nicely played :) The scenes with her in always had a bit more sparkle.

Quote: zooo @ June 11 2013, 10:52 AM BST

Maybe the idea was that he's supposed to be there for something to look at. Like all the female bimbos in TV shows over the years.

I can see your point but this actor affects my view of the Freddie character. IMO when he's flirting with younger guys he should do it with the a bit more classy ones (Seinfeld or maybe a student type like Beckinsale in Rising Damp)...not with a cheap gay call boy fantasy type. That would also make Violet's "erotic attacks" funnier. At the moment it's like an aging "slutty" social misfit besieges another, much younger social misfit. It would be funnier if the guy was a classy high flyer.

And by the way...you can also "look at" Seinfeld, Stiller or Beckinsale.

Quote: Pip Bond @ June 11 2013, 10:56 AM BST

I must admit that I tended to use it as a sort of aperitif to the greater enjoyment of The Job Lot.

We inhabit opposing plains.

I'm minded to agree with Gordon re: Ash. Rheon has proved with past roles that he has great acting talent, but in this he just doesn't seem to jel. I can't put my finger on quite why that is, but it doesn't help that Ash has a look of near-constant amazement on his face that one feels would not be out of place on a lobotomy subject.

Minor quibble though.

Marvellous series, on the whole. I've laughed a lot and it thoroughly brightened up my Monday evenings. I suspect ITV are a little unhappy with the viewing figures - they've not done too badly overall, but did slip to 2.88m in this week's overnights.

I can't help feeling this is the kind of series that could really take off and become a big, popular hit if given the chance. I really hope they do recommission the show, preferably with an extended-length run to allow it to bed in and capture the audience, and that they play it in Autumn or Winter, dark seasons that an uproarious sitcom like this feels far more suited to, IMO.

But I did enjoy this, a lot. I can see myself rewatching it repeatedly - and there are as good as no other modern sitcoms I can say that about.

Bravo, ITV. Please order more.

They'll definitely order a new series, seeing as there's a Christmas special on. Nearly 3 million average I'd say is good as well, considering the ITV sitcom was extinct for 5 years so they're having to find a new audience again. Vicious isn't great writing, it's hackneyed and old fashioned with some modern crude bits thrown in, alas, but there's a feel good factor about it.

I personally hate the over produced semi forced laughter track from a gushy campified audience, but McKellen has been great viewing. It has a real feel of 'let's hand this thing over to the luvvies from theatre land' to me, they know how to do this in their sleep. In that respect it's been very successful. I expect O'Carroll and his MBB lot are big fans of this. I think a 2nd series could attract a couple more million viewers once the MBB and Miranda fans all get round to hearing of it. I think it could be a big hit for ITV if handled right.

Have thoroughly enjoyed this, against what others have said I think the Ash character has suited the show with his sweet versus sour, innocent versus jaded slant.
Fab having the mother turn up to the party, no more than a cameo really but that's all that was needed, maybe she'll stick her oar in a bit more next series..

Quote: Shandonbelle @ June 12 2013, 9:10 AM BST

Fab having the mother turn up to the party, no more than a cameo really but that's all that was needed, maybe she'll stick her oar in a bit more next series..

I don't know why they killed the tension arising from her not knowing that her son is gay so early in the show (supposing there are more series to come). Like the zombie dog or the love/hatred relationship to Violet this was one of the good running gags of the show.
Maybe she'll forget about it...or pretends to (in hope he'll be "cured" from homosexuality).

Again, I wasn't very impressed after the first two episodes but now I'm turning into a fan of the show.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ June 12 2013, 11:19 AM BST

I don't know why they killed the tension arising from her not knowing that her son is gay so early in the show

Yeah, must admit I thought the revealing could have been worked out better as when she woke up they just retold her so it wasn't so funny any more.

Quote: Shandonbelle @ June 12 2013, 12:14 PM BST

Yeah, must admit I thought the revealing could have been worked out better as when she woke up they just retold her so it wasn't so funny any more.

I think there shouldn't have been a revealing at all. He should hide his homosexuality throughout the whole series (and the ones that will hopefully follow).
This would maintain the fun arising from the hidden homosexuality* and would keep Freddie more miserable. This leads to many funny "when will you finally marry and have children?" or "why are you living with that sad has been actor?" telephone conversations.

*Similar to Hyacinth's denial of Sheridan's sexuality that has no place in her snobby little bourgeois world.

Maybe, but they might have plans for the mother, she might move in... :O

Quote: Shandonbelle @ June 12 2013, 12:25 PM BST

Maybe, but they might have plans for the mother, she might move in... :O

That would be great. Freddie and Stu would have to pretend sleeping in separate bedrooms...like Del and Raquel did to hide their relationship from Albert and Rodney.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ June 12 2013, 12:19 PM BST

I think there shouldn't have been a revealing at all. He should hide his homosexuality throughout the whole series (and the ones that will hopefully follow).
This would maintain the fun arising from the hidden homosexuality* and would keep Freddie more miserable. This leads to many funny "when will you finally marry and have children?" or "why are you living with that sad has been actor?" telephone conversations.

*Similar to Hyacinth's denial of Sheridan's sexuality that has no place in her snobby little bourgeois world.

Except now they've opened up a new potential avenue of comedy: her knowing but refusing to acknowledge, and being belligerent about it all the same.

Quote: Aaron @ June 12 2013, 12:38 PM BST

Except now they've opened up a new potential avenue of comedy: her knowing but refusing to acknowledge, and being belligerent about it all the same.

Yes, could be. Maybe she'll try to pair Stuart off with single women throughout the next series.

I really do hope that ITV see sense and order a second series of this sitcom gem!

Wow, this totally slipped under the radar - the plot looks interesting and good to read some great feedback. Will certainly check it out.

Barry Cryer's thoughts on Vicious have really annoyed me. I love the show and he has to run it down - by saying it's outdated. I personally think that Barry Cryer is outdated himself as he hasn't written anything in years so how would he know about how comedy has changed over the years which IMO it has!