Vicious - Series 1 Page 17

Quote: Aaron @ June 11 2013, 11:44 PM BST

We inhabit opposing plains.

I'm minded to agree with Gordon re: Ash. Rheon has proved with past roles that he has great acting talent, but in this he just doesn't seem to jel. I can't put my finger on quite why that is, but it doesn't help that Ash has a look of near-constant amazement on his face that one feels would not be out of place on a lobotomy subject.

I agree also. Ash didn't sit well somehow, and it wasn't bad acting. Maybe just a slightly underwritten character and also one that was maybe a bit inconsistent. He sometimes seemed to be 'younger' than he did at other times. But having got used to the show now, I wouldn't like Ash to be written out or replaced with another character. Maybe just written in a bit better.

Quote: G180e @ June 18 2013, 3:39 PM BST

I personally think that Barry Cryer is outdated himself as he hasn't written anything in years

He constantly writes for Clue, doesn't he?

Quote: G180e @ June 18 2013, 3:39 PM BST

Barry Cryer's thoughts on Vicious have really annoyed me. I love the show and he has to run it down - by saying it's outdated. I personally think that Barry Cryer is outdated himself as he hasn't written anything in years so how would he know about how comedy has changed over the years which IMO it has!

But he's right because it is. He's probably well qualified to judge because this sort of thing would've been on a lot at the theatre when he arrived in London to write for not too dissimilar types. So it's clearly about 50 years out of date but that doesn't mean it can't be popular again now for TV, when the current fashion is for retro (to be kind) comedy. Good luck to Vicious but Cryer and co. are quite right about it.

Is it me or do critics seem to like nothing on telly? My opinion is Vicious should get a second series. Only Fools And Horses didn't do that well in the ratings after one series. The only way shows get noticed is if they are around for a while. It has so much potential.

Quote: comical masterpiece @ June 27 2013, 6:36 PM BST

Is it me or do critics seem to like nothing on telly? My opinion is Vicious should get a second series. Only Fools And Horses didn't do that well in the ratings after one series. The only way shows get noticed is if they are around for a while. It has so much potential.

Only Fools got repeated to get a 2nd series. I don't think this will get repeated. However judging by the ratings and the Christmas special it will get a 2nd series. If it sticks around for a while in the summer it won't get much ratings as if does in the winter.

I watched Vicious (not on telly, obviously) because of Ian McKellen... as LOTR nerd, naturally. All in all, it seemed a bit too predictable to be something truly great, and the characters do seem to utter the same or similar phrases over and over again - and the jokes do get somewhat old soon.
That said, I did chuckle more than once in the last episode.

Is there any chance that the Christmas special will get included onto the Vicious DVD release next month or will it just be the 6 episodes that have aired?

Quote: G180e @ October 28 2013, 6:14 PM GMT

Is there any chance that the Christmas special will get included onto the Vicious DVD release next month or will it just be the 6 episodes that have aired?

They will certainly release a box set one day...I'll get that one.

Quote: G180e @ October 28 2013, 6:14 PM GMT

Is there any chance that the Christmas special will get included onto the Vicious DVD release next month?

Slim to none.

Quote: Aaron @ October 28 2013, 11:13 PM GMT

Slim to none.

Thanks all the same.

Had great hopes for this, as did everyone else on the board. Surprised it turned out to be so poor. I agree that it had its moments but I keep thinking, why or why didn't it rate better scripts? You're talking about some of the greatest actors ever to tread floorboards with McKellen, Jacobi and de la Tour. They deserved something worthy of their great talent!

I watched every episode and had a few giggles but nothing to what I was expecting. I'll watch the Christmas episode, I have a hard time not finishing something I've started but I don't hold out much hope.

If it gets a second series, I can only say that I hope the writing is better. I'm American and pretty much the only comedy I can watch is British (our new stuff, with the exception of "The Big Bang Theory," stinks on ice) and I cannot figure why they'd want to import one of our less-than-stellar writers who makes more money than he's worth. Put him back on the plane and have a chat with Simon Nye about something new (it really wasn't fair asking him to re-create Reggie Perrin) and I'm sure we'd get something far better. Or Jonathan Harvey - he's done with "Beautiful People" which was a gem of a show that made me laugh hysterically.

Quote: SamanthaSeaOtter @ October 29 2013, 10:35 PM GMT

If it gets a second series,

A second series will be on TV in 2014, it has already been commissioned.

Quote: G180e @ October 29 2013, 10:56 PM GMT

A second series will be on TV in 2014, it has already been commissioned.

Thanks for the update!

Christmas special was in fine form. Excited for 2014's comedy. A new series of Vicious, I love the bitchiness between these two. Hopefully it will be as good as Series 1.

Same here, the special was a bit slow to start but by the end was very funny. One of the best comedies of the year and very much looking forward to the second series.