The Job Lot - Series 1 Page 3

I nearly missed this because I didn't realise what it was. I really should read the schedule on here.

So I only saw the second half and that was on ITV1 + 1.

Quote: johnny smith @ April 30 2013, 2:05 AM BST

To me it was a bit "Phone Shop" in a Job centre.

I agree to some extent although the characters are nicer.

Quote: Nil Putters @ April 29 2013, 10:17 PM BST

Preferred this show to the other new offering tonight.

Me too.

I did think that Sarah Hadland looked old though. Obviously lots of make up on Miranda.

Will catch up with this as didn't want to miss Viscous last night. Looks like a joblot (ahem) of us BCG'ers have actually worked in a Jobcentre...I did a stint in one for a few months.

Quote: Shandonbelle @ April 30 2013, 10:03 PM BST

didn't want to miss Viscous last night.

I found it a bit syrupy...

Laughing out loud my shelling is not what it used to be.

Didn't do much for me, found it more frustrating really with characters that wound me up as know people like that in real life.

I found this okay but a bit sloppy. I will try it again next week though

I've heard there's an episode where Iain Duncan Smith is f**ked by a carthorse.

Less of a comedy more of docudrama.

Quote: gappy @ April 30 2013, 10:02 AM BST

This was the opposite to Vicious, really: everything about it was good, except for the fact that I never laughed. The script was neat, but felt vat grown; the cast was very impressive, but I couldn't enjoy them. The set pieces were obvious. I can see how this must have looked great on paper, but it didn't look great on screen.

That pretty much nails how I felt about it. The straightforward comedy reversals fell very flat because they were delivered and directed in such a deadpan, docu-style way. And whereas Vicious had little but jokes, in The Job Lot I found myself desperately longing for someone to crack one to liven things up a bit.

The supporting characters were decently drawn but it seemed to lack a compelling central character: it needed a Brent or a Basil or even a Pauline from the League of Gentlemen to liven things up a bit.

As I work in a DWP office, this has generated quite a bit of interest among my colleagues, and the reaction has been mainly positive....most people seem to like it!

I personally thought it was OK but it could have been better. I'll keep watching though, and see how it develops! :)

Frankly I feel there aren't enough (or any) clueless and abusive "clients" complaining and getting aggressive at their latest sanction and stopping of benefits!

Sean Pertwee's army sgt seemed far too rounded and reasonable a character for a nco in todays army!

Vicious 0 The Job Lot 1

Now that is script writing.

Trish is a great character.

"Tethered to a hand-dryer like a naughty horse" Laughing out loud

Quote: Michael Barton @ May 6 2013, 9:55 PM BST

Vicious 0 The Job Lot 1

Now that is script writing.

But is it actually funny?

I find them both funny.