Miranda - Series 3 Page 12

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ December 27 2012, 11:44 AM GMT

That was one of the most painful sitcom viewings I've experienced. The blaringly obvious was plundered again and again, every contrived pratfall posted by snail mail, the overuse of her lumpy frame for laughs was ridiculous, the uneveness of the narrative horrible, the self indulgence factor disturbing and on and on I could go.

A lot of people are being fooled by this garish hodge podge of a sitcom. 'But it's funny!' Is it? Not to me. I don't want funniness forced on me, I want to be surprised by humourous things, not smashed over the head with them. It's not for me this, but then I'm not a female am I.

Well said, that man! An OBE is in the post!

Quote: lofthouse @ December 27 2012, 2:46 PM GMT

Glancing at and talking to us at home

Like Oliver Hardy used to do!

Except Miranda looks like she's having a stroke when she does it.

Quote: Shandonbelle @ December 27 2012, 5:47 PM GMT

Ah, thanks Lofty...I quite like the knowing looks to camera, trying to think of other programmes that used that...course the film Alfie used it to great effect with Michael Caine.

Lovejoy (Ian McShane did it).

Quote: lofthouse @ December 27 2012, 9:21 PM GMT

Oliver Hardy was the absolute master of it though

Stan sets fire to his arse or something

And Ollie looks straight into your eyes with a look of "can you believe I have to tolerate this daft c*nt?"

Kills me

And me. That's why Hardy's name shouldn't be mentioned on a Miranda Hart thread. Like comparing blue label caviar to Tesco value fish paste.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ December 27 2012, 12:05 PM GMT

It got just under 10M viewers so that's a lot of people being fooled!

10 million half wits!

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ December 27 2012, 9:33 PM GMT

And me. That's why Hardy's name shouldn't be mentioned on a Miranda Hart thread. Like comparing blue label caviar to Tesco value fish paste.

Yes but they look quite similar though

But it's okay for men to be fat on TV, just not women. Do keep up, lofty! ;)

Quote: zooo @ December 27 2012, 9:44 PM GMT

But it's okay for men to be fat on TV, just not women. Do keep up, lofty! ;)

You have to be FUNNY to be on TV!! Miranda isn't funny!

Quote: Charlie Boy @ December 28 2012, 9:24 AM GMT

You have to be FUNNY to be on TV!! Miranda isn't funny!

She is to those who find her funny. And as this was the most watched show at Christmas, it seems rather a lot of people think she is. Doesn't mean you have to.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 28 2012, 10:27 AM GMT

She is to those who find her funny. And as this was the most watched show at Christmas

I thought cheery old laugh a minute EastEnders was the most watched Christmas show? Not that viewing figures mean much, as you'll be first to point out when the fact that Doctor Who is down 1.5 million viewers on last year is mentioned.

Quote: Charlie Boy @ December 27 2012, 9:39 PM GMT

10 million half wits!

Put them together and you've got five million wits.

Quote: Charlie Boy @ December 28 2012, 9:24 AM GMT

You have to be FUNNY to be on TV!!

Really? Quick, tell those morose bastards on the news.

Quote: chipolata @ December 28 2012, 10:37 AM GMT

I thought cheery old laugh a minute EastEnders was the most watched Christmas show? Not that viewing figures mean much, as you'll be first to point out when the fact that Doctor Who is down 1.5 million viewers on last year is mentioned.

Only a fool pays too much attention to overnight ratings; certainly when it comes to the BBC.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 28 2012, 12:58 PM GMT

Only a fool pays too much attention to overnight ratings; certainly when it comes to the BBC.

That was my point, the minute you start putting too much credence in ratings you have to go the logical extreme that The Thick Of It is shit because it gets such dismal ratings.

I enjoyed it. I did miss James Holmes as Clive though. Has he left the show, or was it just last night's episode?

I think he's left. :(

A very funny comedy. But this will never beat Bottom.