You learn a new thing every day Page 6

Quote: dellas @ November 9 2012, 6:25 AM GMT

you cannot be serious that you and your lady wife don't swap greetings?

I do, just to conform, otherwise I'd risk seeming like Larry from Curb. The thing is, if I didn't give a card, it wouldn't mean I loved her any less, because to me the card is pretty meaningless.

:) OH dear, men so miss the relevance of the personal written word! Lots of my friends feel the same, a couple of choice words and love, fab, we are happy!

Why do guys persist that its not important? Maybe British men cannot express feelings?, very sad, please try chaps- your women will reward you a million times Believe me, the only 3 sentence card was after my illness, loved it to bits.

Quote: dellas @ November 9 2012, 8:22 AM GMT

Why do guys persist that its not important?

Well it really IS not important, to us. But realising it means something to the ladies, we make an effort. It's not the only time that we find females unfathomable.

Before they rid the world of cancer, AIDS, famine, poverty, war, paedos, Noel Edmunds, terrorism and all that. They need to get rid of cards first. THE. SINGLE. MOST. POINTLESS. WASTE. OF. PAPER. EVER (except when there's money in them). It's the least personal sentiment ever. I'd rather spit in each other's faces as a way to express my feelings towards an occasion or anniversary. At least it's personal.

Quote: Lee @ November 9 2012, 10:56 AM GMT

Before they rid the world of cancer, AIDS, famine, poverty, war, paedos, Noel Edmunds, terrorism and all that. They need to get rid of cards first. THE. SINGLE. MOST. POINTLESS. WASTE. OF. PAPER. EVER (except when there's money in them). It's the least personal sentiment ever. I'd rather spit in each other's faces as a way to express my feelings towards an occasion or anniversary. At least it's personal.

Sometimes with some relatives cards are useful way of expressing wishes without actually having to see the bastards Pirate

Father Christmas is a c**t.

They need to get rid of cards first. THE. SINGLE. MOST. POINTLESS. WASTE. OF. PAPER. EVER (except when there's money in them).

I could not agree more and thanks to Facebook and mobile texting, my card buying days are pretty much over.

And just like every other bloke on this thread, we only buy them to keep the womenfolk happy, because they think some store bought piece of fake crap somehow translates into love and affection.

The only thing worse then buying cards is when a significant other gets you trapped in 'present escalation' - eg. you buy her a scarf and she gets you a brand new watch, therefore at the next celebration, you then have to buy her a present of equal or greater value then the last and it spirals out of control until you're f**king bankrupt.

EDIT: And never, ever fall for the 'let's not get each other presents this year' or 'don't buy me anything over £10'...it's a bitch trap.

In my experience it is money well spent, or you may incur the silent and deadly wrath of the female of the species Angelic

Quote: Pingl @ November 9 2012, 1:14 PM GMT

In my experience it is money well spent, or you may incur the silent and deadly wrath of the female of the species Angelic

It is one of life's oddest dichotomies - the gender that prides itself most on all things spiritual and environmentally friendly is also the gender that's the most materilistic and superficial.

As I've mentioned in a previous post a while back - Christmas, birthdays, Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, Anniversaries - it's all kerching to the ladies.

Throw in engagement rings, wedding rings, a massive wedding, baby showers, Christenings (or baby naming ceremonies as numptys call it) and then eventually the divorce where she gets the kids, the house, half your wages and your pension before cashing in the life insurance when you die early and it starts to look a bit one sided.

No wonder pre-nups are on the rise.

THE. SINGLE. MOST. POINTLESS. WASTE. OF. PAPER. EVER

Worse than pointless, they were invented by the guy who invented stamps, so that he would get more business. If you send cards, you're tacitly supporting cynical business manipulators.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ November 9 2012, 1:03 PM GMT

EDIT: And never, ever fall for the 'let's not get each other presents this year' or 'don't buy me anything over £10'...it's a bitch trap.

Yeah, but one year we had a "let's not buy big presents" pact, which I recognised as a trap, and lo and behold, she really didn't get me much anything. She was very pissed off! Oh the joy of giving, eh.
She's an ex now.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ November 9 2012, 1:27 PM GMT

It is one of life's oddest dichotomies - the gender that prides itself most on all things spiritual and environmentally friendly is also the gender that's the most materilistic and superficial.

There are many cards like this:

If you care about the environment, don't send a card!

I think its fair to say men and women see the receiving and giving of cards very differently. But on the few occasions I have forgot, my wife has made sure I don't do it again. Teary

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ November 9 2012, 1:03 PM GMT

thanks to Facebook and mobile texting, my card buying days are pretty much over.

If there's one thing to be grateful for in regards to Facebook, it is this little beauty. Writing "Happy Birthday x" is the SINGLE. GREATEST. SOCIALLY. ACCEPTABLE. AND. NOT. LOOKING. LIKE. A. CHEAPSKATE. THING. TO. DO. EVER.

Now if we can somehow incorporate that down in actual gift buying too. "Happy Birthday, I bought you a digital bouquet of flowers and some digital chocolates... oh, look you can share this with everyone we know, what an awesome partner I am." Which will naturally lead to the digital sex later that night... "Auntie Mary Liked this". Errr

Quote: Lee @ November 9 2012, 4:04 PM GMT

If there's one thing to be grateful for in regards to Facebook, it is this little beauty. Writing "Happy Birthday x" is the SINGLE. GREATEST. SOCIALLY. ACCEPTABLE. AND. NOT. LOOKING. LIKE. A. CHEAPSKATE. THING. TO. DO. EVER.

Now if we can somehow incorporate that down in actual gift buying too. "Happy Birthday, I bought you a digital bouquet of flowers and some digital chocolates... oh, look you can share this with everyone we know, what an awesome partner I am." Which will naturally lead to the digital sex later that night... "Auntie Mary Liked this". Errr

A book of a Face? Eh?

Quote: Akawanka @ November 9 2012, 12:37 PM GMT

Father Christmas is a c**t.

Aww

No new I-pod for you this year

:O

Just become Jewish I don't believe in any occasion you'd send a card

That or a pikey how can you send a card when you can't read?