You learn a new thing every day Page 10

Just learned what a spaghetti western is, I had never questioned it before.

I thought it was just cos they had Italian directors?

They were low budget and made in Italy, the Trinity series and Sabata are my favourites. I love them when they are badly dubbed and the music is a bit whirry.

Quote: lofthouse @ November 16 2012, 8:48 PM GMT

I thought it was just cos they had Italian directors?

Never had considered that before. Why would anyone think that American Westerns were made by Europeans without good reason? I thought the spaghetti part referred to something else, dunno what though.

Fist full of dollars etc were all made by Sergio leone

So I just assumedthat's where the label camefrom

Great films btw

Currently watching Fist Full of Dollars. :D

Quote: Lee @ November 16 2012, 9:24 PM GMT

Currently watching Fist Full of Dollars. :D

"WOWW WOWWWW WWWOWWWWWW"

Quote: Lee @ November 16 2012, 9:10 PM GMT

Never had considered that before. Why would anyone think that American Westerns were made by Europeans without good reason? I thought the spaghetti part referred to something else, dunno what though.

They were cheap, like the Italian sword and sandal films of the same period. Eastwood was starring in Rawhide on TV at the time, it made him a star. It was turned down by both Charles Bronson and Henry Fonda, who later went on to star in Leone's masterpiece 'Once upon a time in the west'. Many a fading Hollywood star starred in one, Yul Brynner, Rod Steiger, James Colburn, Lee Van Cleef. It made stars of its own like Franco Nero. The Italian industry made quite a success of mimicking Hollywood genre films with a twist. Much the same as Hammer did with Horror in Britain. So poular did they become that in the end Hollywood was financing many of them, it always has an eye on the main chance, it bankrolled many British classics of the sixties, Alfie etc and brought Bruce Lee over after his crossover success with his kung fu films, hence enter the dragon being a Hollywood film with stars like John Saxon in it.

Quote: dellas @ November 16 2012, 6:37 PM GMT

:) WOW Bill great idea! where do I get these massive letter-boxes?

Alas you can't buy them. I made it by buying TWO nice brass letterbox surrounds an sawing the left end off one and the right end off the other then I joined the long bits with silver solder.

Originally it was because I was fed up with finding big fat yellow pages on the doorstep unusable because they were soggy from rain. This was before they thought to wrap them in plastic. Yellow pages were a key information source before the Internet. So the big letter box slot was made to take a whole big Yellow Pages directory.

Quote: lofthouse @ November 16 2012, 6:45 PM GMT

Massive letter box ? How massive??!

Sounds a bit dangerous to me

Why not go the whole hog and just get a key cut for the postman

It has a fairly strong spring flap so I think if any tea-leaf tried to stick an arm in, He/She would still be there caught in the door when I got home.

Pirate

And you'd be sued for causing harm to the poor defenceless ickle burglar

Here's a nice one: http://tinyurl.com/bqf8wgy

Lots of them here: http://www.doorhandlesdirect.co.uk/19/section.aspx/doors/outside_door_furniture/letter_plates_and_tidies/?q=brass&gclid=CIK2taTM1LMCFcbLtAodE3kAsQ

I can't quickly find a picture like the one(s) I used which has a nice scrolly border on it, hence faintly celtic Victorian.

Has it come to this?

We're discussing letter boxes?

:|

Works of Art old bean.

These were the ones I used:
They call it Georgian.

http://www.doorhandlesdirect.co.uk/20/section.aspx/3451/heritage_georgian_letter_plate_254x79mm

Cool

When we die , not only are most of us reunited with our deceased relatives and loved ones- but we are reunited with our dead pets too!

Awesome

That means I get to spend the rest of eternity cleaning up budgie poo

Angry

Quote: lofthouse @ November 17 2012, 10:09 AM GMT

When we die , not only are most of us reunited with our deceased relatives and loved ones- but we are reunited with our dead pets too!

Awesome

That means I get to spend the rest of eternity cleaning up budgie poo

Angry

Sounds like everyones worst Christmas