Trying old shows - Nice suprises OR otherwise Page 4

Quote: Nick @ September 17 2012, 7:30 AM BST

Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em (should be regarded as a classic)

Another Eh? 'Eh?' from me. Maybe its recent absence from the BBC Christmas specials spot has made you think it isn't seen as a classic? But for about 30 years it was hardly off the Christmas special schedule and must be one of the most repeated sitcoms ever on the BBC. I think that signifies a classic.

Well I still haven't got round to opening my EDC DVDs which I got a while back, but plan to in the autumn.

Have watched the first three of Jonathan Creek and and have quite enjoyed them but wasn't bowled over by them as I was hoping.

I was disappointed when I saw reruns of Just Good Friends, George & Mldred and Terry & June, among others.

But delighted and impressed when I started watching Frasier a few years after it had finished.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ September 18 2012, 8:22 AM BST

"The Legacy Of Reginald Perrin...
Verdict: Not a complete cock up on the sitcom front!

Super!

A disappointment for me was High & Dry (80s show).

For those who don't know about it, it started out as a radio series called It Sticks Out Half A Mile - which was a Dad's Army spin-off, and made earlier than the TV version. The radio series is quite long I think (I haven't listened to all) - but what I heard was very good.

The TV series was made some years later, and despite staring Richard Wilson and the guy in Fawlty Towers who played the spppooooon salesman (forget his name), I found it very hard to stomach. The main problem I think is by the time they got round to making it all references and connections to Dad's Army had been lost. Outside of the Dad's Army context it made little sense. That said, I like the theme tune.

Bernard Cribbins.

Same to you.

Quote: Aaron @ September 19 2012, 12:32 PM BST

Bernard Cribbins.

So, the mere mention of Bernard Cribbins gives me a chance to trot out one of my favourite hobby horses in the "when are they going to release it on DVD" category: Langley Bottom. 1986, a mere six episodes.

It was broadcast here sometime in the late 80s or early 90s but, so far as I can tell, never released on DVD.

I have no idea whether it would be a nice surprise or an otherwise, but, at the time I was charmed.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ September 19 2012, 8:46 AM BST

Another Eh? 'Eh?' from me. Maybe its recent absence from the BBC Christmas specials spot has made you think it isn't seen as a classic? But for about 30 years it was hardly off the Christmas special schedule and must be one of the most repeated sitcoms ever on the BBC. I think that signifies a classic.

I wasn't necessarily talking about the BBC's attitude towards the show. I just feel, as mentioned earlier, that all of those terrible Frank Spencer impressions have led to the show not being quite as respected and liked now as it might have been. It being ranked 22 on the Britain's Best Sitcom list being an example of that.

Obviously that still isn't a bad ranking but lower than I think it might have been for such an iconic show.

Yea But look where Hancock came, these polls are nonsense.

Quote: Pingl @ September 20 2012, 10:09 AM BST

Yea But look where Hancock came, these polls are nonsense.

Vicar Of Dibley was third...need I say more?

Rankings are generally bollocks. But Dibley is excellent. :)

Quote: zooo @ September 20 2012, 11:17 AM BST

But Dibley is excellent. :)

But third! I don't think so. I sometimes think whatever it is being repeated on UK Gold at the time that wins. Was My Family number one?????

Well, evidently a lot of people thought it was the best!
It's not my third favourite comedy of all time, but I'd rather see that near the top of a list than a lot of others.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ September 19 2012, 8:46 AM BST

I was disappointed when I saw reruns of Just Good Friends, George & Mldred and Terry & June, among others...

I'm in the middle of watching Just Good Friends at the moment. It's okay. It's actually pretty good in many respects. Maybe the subject matter (a will they won't they get it together again romantic relationship thing) just makes it almost a little dull at times. As I write this I'm thinking of A Fine Romance which I thought was great - yet the subject matter was similar. Quite a different approach to it though. Just Good Friends has a slight Brush Strokes (which was great) kind of feel to it. I'm only part way through so it might pick up a bit.

Still love all of George And Mildred. So my view is quite different there.

Only watched a little Terry & June on DVD. Turned it off due to the lack of funnies. It's one of those shows that you have to take for what it is. I'd like to get into it some time but I'd have to be in the right mood - wouldn't I, Darling.

Robin's Nest is one of my favourites. I still love it today - and it is my favourite out of Man About The House, George & Mildred and Robin's Nest.

Quote: zooo @ September 20 2012, 11:17 AM BST

Rankings are generally bollocks. But Dibley is excellent. :)

It outranked the likes of Fawlty Towers, Porridge, One Foot.. and Dad's Army. Would you say that's ok?

I just realiesed you already answered this question.

Robin's Nest is one of my favourites.

Tessa Wyatt :D

Quote: Pingl @ September 20 2012, 11:46 AM BST

I sometimes think whatever it is being repeated on UK Gold at the time that wins.

That is exactly what happens. The public are stupid and have short memories. These polls are just entertainment clip shows.