The Big Bang Theory Page 10

Quote: Marooned @ May 16 2012, 2:17 PM BST

They never had a roof wedding in 'Frasier' - Niles and Daphne had an impromptu date up there, so not quite a rip-off.

Sorry Marooned, you are absolutely correct, it wasn't a total and utter rip off, but still lazy and unimaginative.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ May 16 2012, 2:35 PM BST

Sorry Marooned, you are absolutely correct, it wasn't a total and utter rip off, but still lazy and unimaginative.

A little bit, yeah.

Season 6 of The Big Bang Theory premieres on Thursday, Sept 27th (in the U.S.)

I never quite got into the swing of this season, and my enthusiasm waned a bit even though I thought the quality of the episodes I saw was as good as ever. But I'm still not sure about the three women being in it more and more although they've helped pad it out and stopped it being repetitive. But they've also changed what it was quite a lot.

I have to say I'm still not comfortable with that Amy woman. She really takes over the episodes she's in. It's rarely the Sheldon show anymore but when it is it's always the best. When she's in it, Sheldon's a shadow of his usual self and they are far too similar, and the show loses the great contrast of characterisation it did have. I think the head writers have made a wrong turn here.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ July 11 2012, 10:47 PM BST

I have to say I'm still not comfortable with that Amy woman. She really takes over the episodes she's in. It's rarely the Sheldon show anymore but when it is it's always the best. When she's in it, Sheldon's a shadow of his usual self and they are far too similar, and the show loses the great contrast of characterisation it did have. I think the head writers have made a wrong turn here.

I preferred it when it was more about the boys, but my other 'arf likes the girls. Maybe there's been a conscious decision to try to appeal more to the 50% of the audience who aren't male?

To me Sheldon is the main reason to watch this, he's the benchmark of that particular archetype, although Howard is also a brilliant creation.

Personally I think Amy is a fantastic character and adds a new dimension to Sheldon, someone his equal who can manipulate him into situations where he's not 100% in control.

Conscious marketing decision or not, I think the addition of the girls into the show has freshened up what could've been becoming a slightly stale show,

Quote: Nogget @ July 12 2012, 5:27 AM BST

I preferred it when it was more about the boys, but my other 'arf likes the girls. Maybe there's been a conscious decision to try to appeal more to the 50% of the audience who aren't male?

To me Sheldon is the main reason to watch this, he's the benchmark of that particular archetype, although Howard is also a brilliant creation.

I love Amy, but then I still wish they'd bring the show Blossom back.
I don't think they did it to 'try and attract female viewers'. a) because that's stupid (I'd watch it if it was just Sheldon and Leonard) and b)there have always been female characters (Penny and Leslie Winkle.)
I think they just wanted to keep it fresh and add some new characters.

I really don't get some of the complaints: to me, right from episode 1, this has been the Penny and Leonard show. Sure, we all see how utterly mental Sheldon is, but it's the contrast, and constant to-and-fro, between Leonard and Penny that really provides the best conflict and clearest, most interesting clashes of just how different the boys are from 'normal' people. And, IMO, the best and most interesting storylines too.

Not sure I agree there. The stand-out funny bits are the ones where Penny and Sheldon are thrown together.

Dan

I find those a bit stilted. Put someone like her in contact with someone like him and there aren't really that many differing, interesting outcomes.

Quote: swerytd @ July 12 2012, 3:22 PM BST

Not sure I agree there. The stand-out funny bits are the ones where Penny and Sheldon are thrown together.

Dan

I agree. Leonard is, by far, the least amusing character for me.

He's the only normal one though! Well, normal to me. Relatable maybe.

People seem to think Penny's the 'normal' one. But she's not in my opinion!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ July 12 2012, 4:01 PM BST

I agree. Leonard is, by far, the least amusing character for me.

Me too. I'm guessing that we are supposed to identify with, not laugh at, his insecurities, to better appreciate the madness all around him.

Penny functions very well as a "straight man."

Penny challenges Sheldon at lot more than he thinks she should and that makes for interesting stuff. You genuinely don't know who's going to come out on top in their 'battles' which is good cos there is that element of surprise.

Leonard is the 'boring' everyman. That's not to say I don't like him, just he's the 'us' in the group.

Dan

Sorry I'm late to this thread (so-so Newbie - that's my excuse), but it deserves a bump up.

Missed all the debate about what's good, what's bad and people dissecting it too much - just enjoy it for what it is. A damn good sitcom.

Age/male/female appeal? Well, I'm let's say a retired old fogey and both I and my 30 year old daughter have thoroughly enjoyed this from day one.

Without the introduction of Amy I think, as someone has already stated, it could have gone stale and in my opinion she has been brilliant as the frustrated female nerd who lusts after Sheldon and envies Penny her carefree life style. I was doubtful about her when she first appeared but has certainly added a new slant.

My only reservation was when Howard was up in the space station. I didn't think it worked at all and got too far away (!!) from what made it good with them all interacting with each other. Also, presumably the baseball cap was to get round his wig floating off in the cabin! But the episode when he came back to Earth put it all back on course. Loved it when he said he was going to have to change his dentist!

Absolute favourite skits:-

For me it was the Christmas edition when Penny got the Leonard Nimoy signed napkin. Sheldon's reaction was classic and had me falling about laughing.............and still does!!
(Point here - I wonder WHY they don't get him in a cameo role? It would be fantastic!!)

Oh, and when he got involved with advising customers in a computer store. "So, what kind of computer are you looking for? And please don't say a white one"

My daughter's favourite was when Sheldon bought Amy the tiara. Perfect timing, how she went on about him trying to "bribe" her with a "sorry gift", and then she unwrapped it. Brilliant!

Now we've got past Howard in space the current series is maintaining its superb comedy.