Carry On... Page 15

Oh. :/
Well it definitely looked fun to film.

My five favourite 'Carry On' films in no particular order.
Screaming
Camping
At Your Convenience
Up the Khyber
Girls
:D Laughing out loud :D

Quote: Tursiops @ January 11 2012, 3:39 PM GMT

Convenience was terrible;

Quote: Aaron @ January 11 2012, 7:40 PM GMT

There's nothing wrong with Convenience

I'm in the middle, it isn't terrible but there is somethng wrong with it. And that's the second half, which wasted a brilliant first half with satire about industry and unions and a sub plot about a psychic budgie, to go on a long tedious piss up to Brighton or where ever it was. It could have been one of the best Carry Ons if they hadn't have ran out of ideas when writing it.

Watched Carry On Follow That Camel last night on ITV3. First time I've watched it in years, it's not bad I thought.
Is it true Sid James was meant to play Phil Silvers' part but suffered a heart attack and that's why they got Silvers to do it?

It seems to have been a combination of the heart attack and recording for Series 2 of George And The Dragon. I believe he wasn't actually in hospital until after Follow That Camel had begun filming, but also understand he was unwell for some time - perhaps a number of weeks - before the attack actually took hold, so he would certainly have had time to inform Rogers that he would not be able to take part.

In short, it seems a mixture of reasons forced him to pull out, but it seems likely that, due to the heart attack, he would have had to leave sooner or later anyway.

Quote: Oldrocker @ August 21 2009, 4:40 AM BST

Kenneth Williams talking Carry On Cleo dolly ? !

I found one of these dolls in a charity shop in Australia for a dollar. It is surprisingly good quality and can be manipulated into all sorts of poses and positions. No one shared my enthusiasm for discovering this fabulous treasure.

I adore Carry On films, always have since I was a kid. It's nice to see them being discussed on something so current as this site. They're not exactly trendy or cutting edge comedy! My favs are Girls, Camping, Khyber & Cleo.

I recently read a biography of Kenneth Williams called 'Born Brilliant'. I'd heard Danny Baker talk highly of it on his BBC London radio show, and I really enjoyed it. Not sure how much is totally accurate but it's still a good read for any Carry On fan.

Carry On films are loved by generations. Yes, they may not be fashionable, but I can watch with my parents and younger kids, and we will all laugh (for different reasons!)

Even after watching these films again and again over the years, I still find new jokes that had passed my by previously.
My top 5 are:

Henry: Very much overlooked I think. Joan Sims was fantastic as the garlic breathed queen. She plays sarcasm brillinatly (eg sewing the sampler for Henry: Henry is a sh...ining example to one and all)

Don't Lose Your Head: So clever, and again, well played by Joan Sims who can turn on the posh, and revert to common in a heartbeat. Love her facial expressions.

Screaming: Love the bit where Kenneth Williams shrieks at Seregent Bung et al, whilst holding the massive syringe.

Loving: Hilarious scene with Jenny Grubb's family and Terry Scott.

Girls: Patsy Rowlands stole the show as Kenneth Connor's laid back and bungling wife.

Follow That Camel: Those of you that hate it, rewatch!

That's 6 isn't it?! Perhaps I should have said the ones I didn't like:

Emannuelle (tired, predictable, cast too old for stereotypical roles)
Columbus: (enough said..)

I'll rewatch Camel if ou revisitbColumbus! Without the likes of Sid and Kenny it undoubtedly loses some of the charm, but after rewatching it relatively recently I really was won round by it; no it's not a classic, but really undervalued IMO.

There is no point in debating the matter Khyber is the best carry on by a country mile.

It's got Roy Castle in it for f**ks sake. And a blacked up Bernie Breslaw!

My favourite Sid James clip from 'Carry on Camping' :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9iMBAn9N-w

I've joined this debate a bit late but I loved the genre, like all long running series there were moments of genius and comic bliss and there was absolute poo poo (can I use poo poo on here?) The output was colossal really.

With regard the Sid/Barbara thing I saw a great play at the National few years back called Cleo, Camping, Emmanulle and Dick, it was very funny and captured the sprit of Carry On perfectly

I LOVE CARRY ON CAMPING AND CARRY ON GIRLS

They're nothing to shout about.

Quote: Micks @ April 8 2012, 8:17 AM BST

My favourite Sid James clip from 'Carry on Camping' :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9iMBAn9N-w

Laughing out loud

Wonderful. There can be no other clip to encapsulate so perfectly why I love the Carry Ons so. :)