Current radio comedy Page 89

Quote: Nogget @ March 10 2012, 9:54 AM GMT

It's common for fans to have felt that way at first. I know I did. I couldn't stand it, but then I got over my misgivings and now find it an utter joy.

Conversely, I've listened to the whole lot (bar this new series), masochist that I am, and I still don't get 'it'. It's just an old man irritatingly falling over his words and each line is pushing it too far in my opinion.

Dan

Agree, I enjoyed the last series but now find it tedious and boring.

This weeks Count Arthur ep was dreadful

Probably the worst ever

Predictable, tired, dull

Pity

Quote: smudger @ March 10 2012, 9:43 AM GMT

Re: Count Arthur Strong. Just shows how subjective comedy is as, unlike Tokyo, I really don't get it at all.

Tried giving this another go tonight, but after a quarter of an hour of listening stoney-faced could not take any more.

Yep another piss poor effort tonight

Count Arthur Strong's Radio Show was alright tonight but The Flight of The Conchords on BBC Radio 4 Extra made up for it.

The last episode of It's Not What You Know was quite good tonight. Though I didn't understand why they asked the question about shapes. So I agreed with Emma Freud on that one.

NewsJack was also brilliant. The owl in the drain pipe didn't get old.

Quote: Claire Hardiker @ March 16 2012, 4:53 AM GMT

NewsJack was also brilliant. The owl in the drain pipe didn't get old.

The introduction of the 'callback' device using the owl was a welcome addition, presumably as a result of Ed Morrish now being producer. I also liked the performances and some of the one-liners.

But the sketches were of very variable quality, I thought. For example, I'll imagine it's funny that Claire Balding thinks dogs are tiny horses (after all, the audience laughed). But is it really funny enough to stretch over a whole sketch, without any other gags, and with no punchline?

Quote: Nogget @ March 16 2012, 10:53 AM GMT

The introduction of the 'callback' device using the owl was a welcome addition, presumably as a result of Ed Morrish now being producer.

No

The Now Show was great this week, except for Matt Forde who wasn't really that funny. Jon Holmes was spot on about Starbucks and the David Cameron/Obama stuff was brilliant.

Quote: Claire Hardiker @ March 17 2012, 6:10 AM GMT

The Now Show was great this week, except for Matt Forde who wasn't really that funny.

Not only unfunny, but the content of his piece was crap. Part of his defence of bankers was that he wants to live in a country where people can 'make the odd £million'. Can't he see that recession-hit Britain might resent £millions going to the very bankers who gave us the recession to start with?

The facts in The Now Show are never to be trusted anyway. There's been quite an outcry against the way they last week didn't mention that the pope changed his policy on protectionism in 2010. It makes it harder to laugh if you can't believe the facts behind the satire.

He completely missed the point about the bonuses - it's a publicly owned bank and to give out massive bonuses for just doing your job when people are losing jobs and public services all over the place cannot be justified.

I found the whole show disappointing, again. It doesn't feel like they ever have anything original to say anymore. They need to get some new talent involved because they've fallen into a rut, as far as I'm concerned.

Earlier today I caught up with "Just a Minute Without Hesitation" on the iPlayer. Interesting to hear how the show has developed over the years.

I listened to The Jason Byrne Show on BBC Radio 4 Extra. Very funny indeed.

Alex Horne presents the Horne Section was the comedy of the week, and it seems that this series will be repeated on BBC Radio 4 in April. At the moment it's on 4 Extra.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ March 18 2012, 8:42 PM GMT

Earlier today I caught up with "Just a Minute Without Hesitation" on the iPlayer. Interesting to hear how the show has developed over the years.

How long is it meant to be? Says three hours in the schedule but only one hour in iPlayer.