Newsjack - Series 6 Page 47

It might just be turn of phrase but staring at news won't help. Reading it, thinking about it, rereading and questioning it are my preferred techniques (depending on time). Failing that pun-spotting.

Maybe after Newsjacks finished (Not sure people would share as much while its on) we should choose a single news topic and all try writing jokes/sketch ideas on the same thing - sharing the thought process that got us there? I always fear some jokes are 'too obvious' then find other people haven't thought of them at all - I'm sure it'd prove interesting.

13 one-liners, 4 Jack-Apps and 2 scripts sent this week.

Script 1 was MP watch - Autumnwatch based on Eric Joyce beating up MP's and being banned from pubs.

Script 2 was an interview with Stavros Kostalostous on how Greek Debt would be restructured. Quite a silly sketch tbh.

I'm not sure if any of the sketches are strong enough.

I feel better about the one-liners as I've covered everything from the Water shortage in England to Rebekah Brookes and a school being banned from Tescos.

I've sent mine already. Nothing else inspiring me.

5 apps, a Justin one-liner (a sort of thing he'd say near the beginning), a correction and a "And finally..." piece.

I find it much easier to write after a drink or two. Which could be a problem when working to the midday-Monday sketch deadline!

But have had to focus on the one-liners anyway, as 3 kids and a lengthy list of chores from my wife mean weekend writing is nigh impossible.

Anyway, got 12 apps, one liners etc in this week. My best yet I think but then again I've only been doing this 3 weeks.

Good luck everyone.

Off and away! Like everyone very pleased with mine this week. Think I've got the hang of Apps being structured like a phone call rather than set up-punch line. Good luck to all

Six intros/jack apps - I wrote them so they could be either and a correction - certainly pleased with some of mine (I even managed to tackle the tragic ex-eastenders actresses murder tastefully (I think)

Quote: Dalekwidow @ March 13 2012, 1:13 PM GMT

other half was running in a half marathon

Which one did you run?

Quote: DeathbyMonkey @ March 13 2012, 4:55 PM GMT

(I even managed to tackle the tragic ex-eastenders actresses murder tastefully (I think)

It wasn't something about finding interesting parts was it? Sick

:)

Quote: Katie P @ March 13 2012, 5:03 PM GMT

It wasn't something about finding interesting parts was it? Sick

I'm going to pretend I didn't find that funny ha ha.

Three corrections and about eight Jackapps from me so we'll see

I lulled but not deliberately. Damn traffic. Oh well NJ's loss, NR's gain...

(I even managed to tackle the tragic ex-eastenders actresses murder tastefully (I think)

Looks like they may not agree with you.

From Twitter: Two jokes in 10 minutes about the recent murder and dismemberment of a young woman. This is GOLD, guys.

Which one did you run?

I didn't, my husband did - it was the Cambridge one.

Quote: Hennell @ March 13 2012, 2:12 PM GMT

It might just be turn of phrase but staring at news won't help. Reading it, thinking about it, rereading and questioning it are my preferred techniques (depending on time). Failing that pun-spotting.

I like word-play and puns so if I can resort to that, I usually will. I do try and re-read articles and let them swim around in my brain but finding that original twist just seems to allude me so often.

Maybe after Newsjacks finished (Not sure people would share as much while its on) we should choose a single news topic and all try writing jokes/sketch ideas on the same thing - sharing the thought process that got us there? I always fear some jokes are 'too obvious' then find other people haven't thought of them at all - I'm sure it'd prove interesting.

Not a bad idea! :)

Quote: Trabs @ March 13 2012, 6:00 PM GMT

Looks like they may not agree with you.

From Twitter: Two jokes in 10 minutes about the recent murder and dismemberment of a young woman. This is GOLD, guys.

Yup. Not something I'd submit to any, especially Newsjack which tends to have quite a whimsical tone.

And if they would record and broadcast something like that, there'd be a Daily Mail meltdown and Newsjack would be axed. Nooooo.

Agreed. I think that would be very useful.

(Having said that I'll probably forget when it actually happens...)

Sent off only 7 one liners today. Still hopefully they'll be so pleased there's less to read they'll laugh more...

Quote: Feeoree @ March 13 2012, 7:14 PM GMT

Yup. Not something I'd submit to any, especially Newsjack which tends to have quite a whimsical tone.

And if they would record and broadcast something like that, there'd be a Daily Mail meltdown and Newsjack would be axed. Nooooo.

Hmmmm. Someone apologised on twitter for covering that story. I have to say I did too :( but not in a way that I thought was anywhere as close to the knuckle as 10oclock live would do. But perhaps that's not a good benchmark.

It did seem a really hard week for jaunty news stories and perhaps I touched upon it in despearation as there seemed a logical link to the axing of the Chinese execution TV programme. I hope that didn't sour their mood looking at my other material - but I guess it probably would....