Newsjack - Series 6 Page 46

Oops!

I've just submitted eight one-liners.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with my submissions. I feel like I've raised my game following a lackluster performance last week.

First baby in the house defeated my Newsjack efforts last week, leaving me without that ultimate rush of, er, the email not arriving on a Thursday. Stared blankly on the train yesterday at ten news stories I thought would yield some one liners and drew a total blank. Looked at the same ones again this morning and four quite good ones emerged, I think. Didn't even do a sketch [again] this week though. The real gods are the successful sketch writers. Gods, I tell you, gods!

I'm going tomorrow, by the way. It's okay, I don't go on like this in person. In real life it's much, much worse.

I contributed to the lull by only submitting two sketches this week, found the news less inspiring then usual. Still did a Diary of David Cameron's trip to the US (Yey for pre-published schedules!), and following the example of many many newspapers, did an interview with a sexy Olympic athlete.

Can't do the recording, but hope you guys have fun; hopefully you should hear some of these cracking one-liners I'm working on!

..and just seen that Rebeakah Brooks has been arrested. This should be fun!

Quote: JDon @ March 12 2012, 10:01 PM GMT

VERY late to the party, but: JENNY Donoghue. I'm a girl. Last I checked.

Can't help correcting. Especially as there was rampant twitter debate that week over number of female submissions.

More importantly: Hi everyone. See some of you in person this Wednesday?

Well Done JDon and welcome to the site Wave

Quote: Hennell @ March 13 2012, 10:58 AM GMT

..and just seen that Rebeakah Brooks has been arrested. This should be fun!

Well, they do say the secret of comedy is timing.... Thank God it didn't happen after 5pm! :)

Quote: JDon @ March 12 2012, 10:01 PM GMT

VERY late to the party, but: JENNY Donoghue. I'm a girl. Last I checked.

Can't help correcting. Especially as there was rampant twitter debate that week over number of female submissions.

More importantly: Hi everyone. See some of you in person this Wednesday?

Belated Congratulations Jenny!

And for those on here who like conspiracy theories perhaps they changed your name deliberately to ensure there WAS a debate about women in comedy and hence encourage more female submissions. Ha, we've rumbled you Newsjack.

Or perhaps I should stop eating cheese in the morning.

And hopefully see you Wednesday.

I think I need to review my writing technique. It's all a bit slap dash. Can't really continue to rely on just scanning the news and having jokes jump out at me. Will put some thought into that for next week. Sent in a few one-liners.

3 one liners and 2 corrections for me this week. Not sure how to gauge it but I *think* they're better efforts than previously (corrections are a first for me though).

Bearing in mind my mother in law was staying this weekend and other half was running in a half marathon, it's a wonder I submitted anything!

Jealous of those who've got today to work on stuff. Tuesdays are useless for me as I don't have time to write at work and am not home before the 5 o'clock deadline.....

One-liners and corrections now sent, it's the best batch I've sent so far this series (which isn't saying much!!)

Quote: Park Bench @ March 13 2012, 12:38 PM GMT

I think I need to review my writing technique. It's all a bit slap dash. Can't really continue to rely on just scanning the news and having jokes jump out at me. Will put some thought into that for next week. Sent in a few one-liners.

I'm pretty much like that. Scour the papers and news websites looking for likely candidates, while trying to avoid the stuff that's perhaps too obvious. More often than not, my mind goes blank or I just can't find a good angle. Any tried and trusted techniques around here?

Quote: Dalekwidow @ March 13 2012, 1:13 PM GMT

Bearing in mind my mother in law was staying this weekend and other half was running in a half marathon, it's a wonder I submitted anything!

You should have tried submitting some mother in law gags!

Quote: Hennell @ March 13 2012, 1:45 PM GMT

You should have tried submitting some mother in law gags!

I've tried that. It's got me nowhere.

Quote: Dalekwidow @ March 13 2012, 1:40 PM GMT

I'm pretty much like that. Scour the papers and news websites looking for likely candidates, while trying to avoid the stuff that's perhaps too obvious. More often than not, my mind goes blank or I just can't find a good angle. Any tried and trusted techniques around here?

I'm exactly the same, which is probably why I've spent most of today staring at a blank screen. Still haven't written anything worth sending in.

Quote: Dalekwidow @ March 13 2012, 1:40 PM GMT

It's often just about coming in with a fresh head, I think. As I say, this week I stared at ten news stories and got nothing, then woke up the next day and got four hopefully serviceable ones from exactly the same stories. Which is why I like to have a stab at Newsjack writing over several days.