The Sitcom Mission 2012 Page 47

To be sure it would be a packed house! :)

I've no doubt...I suppose it depends how big the house is though.

Ive written her as competent because the whole thing rides on her competence as the crux of the script/show is based around her being a driven businesswoman.

Ive written stupid/daft/incompetent etc female characters before so there has been variation.

None of them have been funny, though.

Quote: Philip Hepple @ February 3 2012, 2:46 PM GMT

Ive written her as competent because the whole thing rides on her competence as the crux of the script/show is based around her being a driven businesswoman.

Why not make the chauffeur the lead then?

There is no reason not to do what you have done by the way. It is a common approach - be it man or woman. But putting a spin on things is always a good idea. The Vicar of Dibley is the centre of normality to those around her, put her in Rev for example and suddenly she wouldn't be - he would.

Quote: Marc P @ February 3 2012, 2:50 PM GMT

Why not make the chauffeur the lead then?

There is no reason not to do what you have done by the way. It is a common approach - be it man or woman. But putting a spin on things is always a good idea. The Vicar of Dibley is the centre of normality to those around her, put her in Rev for example and suddenly she wouldn't be - he would.

My character is starting something from scratch, so she's building her own business rather than already being a success, which is where her need for competency comes in.

I'm already getting tetchy wanting to find out the shortlist.

Quote: Philip Hepple @ February 3 2012, 3:01 PM GMT

My character is starting something from scratch, so she's building her own business rather than already being a success, which is where her need for competency comes in.

Interesting contrast - mine was about a young woman just starting out building her own business but she's incompetent in all aspects except one. I felt that gave me more material to work with but the one area of competence at least gives her credibility, just.

Quote: Jon G @ February 3 2012, 3:40 PM GMT

Interesting contrast - mine was about a young woman just starting out building her own business but she's incompetent in all aspects except one. I felt that gave me more material to work with but the one area of competence at least gives her credibility, just.

That is interesting.

Best of luck.

Quote: Declan @ February 3 2012, 2:12 PM GMT

Rebekah Brooks

Did he say 'women can be f**kers'?

Quote: rwayne @ February 3 2012, 2:26 PM GMT

My point, really, is a general one in response to Dan's post...it seemed to suggest that a female character is either competent OR funny (just the way I read it)...but I don't understand your point either Marc, to be honest.

I think the point is that if you're the sensible one then the others get the funny (usually).

Jane Berthoud - who I met as a result of Si and Decs early efforts on Sitcom Trials - once told me how bored she was of the competent woman surrounded by idiotic males scenario. Can't remember if that was in regard of sitcoms or working at Radio 4.

Quote: Philip Hepple @ February 3 2012, 3:47 PM GMT

That is interesting.

Best of luck.

Thx, you too. Let's kick ass or some such shit like that ...

Quote: Ponderer @ February 3 2012, 4:06 PM GMT

Did he say 'women can be f**kers'?

I think the point is that if you're the sensible one then the others get the funny (usually).

Jane Berthoud - who I met as a result of Si and Decs early efforts on Sitcom Trials - once told me how bored she was of the competent woman surrounded by idiotic males scenario. Can't remember if that was in regard of sitcoms or working at Radio 4.

'Thunderer'?

Quote: rwayne @ February 3 2012, 6:28 PM GMT

'Thunderer'?

Nah Although the director of Thunderer was in my cast in 2009 - and I think he is now in Pete Vs Life. A damn fine comedy actor.
It was something called Trainspotting - with a competent female amidst some odd if not idiotic males. I just think her point was that women are often the 'straight man' in sitcoms.

Wave

Has everyone seen this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/opportunity/laugh_track_2012.shtml

Quote: bluer than blue @ February 4 2012, 10:28 AM GMT

Has everyone seen this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/opportunity/laugh_track_2012.shtml

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/23647/

Quote: Bavers @ February 4 2012, 2:07 AM GMT

Wave

Wave