The Sitcom Mission 2012 Page 48

Quote: bluer than blue @ February 7 2012, 11:11 AM GMT

Is it Charles Dickens 200th birthday by any chance?

It is, and in tribute The Sitcom Trials present Period Comedies: http://sitcomtrials.blogspot.com/2012/02/period-comedies-from-sitcom-trials-tv.html

If you can do better, the deadline is Feb 29th, and there's a meeting in Bristol this Sunday, to which you're all welcome (you might get to hear your work read out by actors, we'll see how it goes).

Must be about time for a blog eh? How goes the script reading? What's the common themes this year?

I'll do a blog soon.

Today I read a really funny one which I think is a definite contender.

And I've just read the most appalling, misogynistic pile of stinking crud that you would never believe.

Next year, we'll definitely have an award for Worst Sitcom.

IT FREAKS YOU OUT, When Declan tells you that he's read a crap and a good sitcom. Wishfull thinking hopes its' not yours he's talking about.(Thats the crap one obviously)

Quote: Declan @ February 9 2012, 7:10 PM GMT

And I've just read the most appalling, misogynistic pile of stinking crud that you would never believe.

Declan just steer clear of the 'Who do you fancy thread?... really it's not complicated!'

Ok, so I won't do any more freak-out comments, sorry.

But next year everyone has to send a photo, beachwear and evening dress.

Quote: Declan @ February 9 2012, 9:47 PM GMT

Is that instead of a script?

Quote: Declan @ February 9 2012, 9:47 PM GMT

Cripes, how many evening dresses do you and Simon need?! :P

Cripes! I'd honestly rather you told me, if it was mine.

Quote: Michael Richardson @ February 10 2012, 2:39 PM GMT

Cripes! I'd honestly rather you told me, if it was mine.

We had this discussion last year re: whether people came in the top 200 or not.

To be fair, the writer made a number of naive judgements rather than being downright nasty.

On the up-side, we will all be in the top 400 this year. There were more than 800 of us that couldn't say that last year.

Honestly have absolutely no idea how mine will go down to be honest. I defiantly wrote what I thought was funny, I guess that's all you can do and hope others agree

Quote: Johnwb @ February 10 2012, 3:33 PM GMT

Honestly have absolutely no idea how mine will go down to be honest. I defiantly wrote what I thought was funny, I guess that's all you can do and hope others agree

I agree John.

What is amazing is that some people have invested a good amount of money by entering, but have completely ignored the rules and guidelines.

It's like taking your driving test pissed and on crack.

Quote: Declan @ February 10 2012, 3:41 PM GMT

I agree John.

What is amazing is that some people have invested a good amount of money by entering, but have completely ignored the rules and guidelines.

It's like taking your driving test pissed and on crack.

So Declan, how do you deal with entries that are completely off the mark? Do you give them a full read? I'm guessing if it's a limerick then yes, if it's a 1000 page novel then no? If a script meets the general requirements i.e. a stageable sitcom will it get read fully? Interested to know if you'd pursue something to the bitter end if it was obvious it wasn't going to make the cut.

I'll do a blog soon.

Today I read a really funny one which I think is a definite contender.

Next year, we'll definitely have an award for Worst Sitcom.

Blimey.

Is this your Gerald Ratner moment Declan?