The Sitcom Mission 2012 Page 46

Quote: bigfella @ February 3 2012, 9:45 AM GMT

Of course.

But I'm just getting my ducks in a row.

Pervert!

Quote: andyblacksheep @ February 2 2012, 11:37 PM GMT

Pure curiosity, but any chance of knowing how many were Early Bird and how many Last Minute?

At a rough guess, I'd say it was about 25% Early Bird, 25% Bronze and 50% Standard.

We had 135 entries on the closing date.

On the topic of men writing female characters.... I think its really interesting.

I would class myself as very 'female sensitive' but in some of my early read-throughs some people said "women don't talk like that"..... this meant I spent a lot of time working on my characters voices and concentrating on the effect gender had on their text and relationships.

Obviously, people can write opposite sex characters very well (Moffat wrote Coupling) but I think extra care is needed.

Men can't write women, women can't write men, men can't write plumbers unless they are plumbers, women can't write lesbian women unless they are lesbians, homosexual men can only write poetry. Caucasians should only write for caucasians. Oh hang on... no writers, they write don't they? They extrapolate from the communality of experience and render it accessible to others in the form of storytelling. If it is sitcom you can bang a gag or two in as well I guess.

:)

My entry is based around a driven, competent woman surrounded by idiotic men. Hopefully it won't fall into the 'men-find-it-difficult-to-write-women-characters' quagmire, otherwise im screwed.

No, but it does sound clicheed!

Why are all the women always competent? Women can be funny characters too!

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ February 3 2012, 2:04 PM GMT

No, but it does sound clicheed!

Why are all the women always competent? Women can be funny characters too!

Dan

Miranda
Ab Fab
Nessa and Stacey
Diane Chambers
Rebecca Howe
Rebekah Brooks
Jen in IT Crowd

Women can be competent AND funny, surely?

Quote: rwayne @ February 3 2012, 2:17 PM GMT

Women can be competent AND funny, surely?

Not in the context of the scenario as described. I.e the centre of normality in a world populated by misfits and idiots.

Quote: Declan @ February 3 2012, 2:12 PM GMT

Miranda
Ab Fab
Nessa and Stacey
Diane Chambers
Rebecca Howe
Rebekah Brooks
Jen in IT Crowd

He was referring to the submitted sitcom Dec, not broadcast ones! :)

Quote: Marc P @ February 3 2012, 2:19 PM GMT

He was referring to the submitted sitcom Dec, not broadcast ones! :)

No, I read it. It had all of those characters in it. And the Vicar of Dibley too.

My point, really, is a general one in response to Dan's post...it seemed to suggest that a female character is either competent OR funny (just the way I read it)...but I don't understand your point either Marc, to be honest.

Quote: Declan @ February 3 2012, 2:23 PM GMT

No, I read it. It had all of those characters in it. And the Vicar of Dibley too.

:D

Competence does not preclude being funny either

Quote: rwayne @ February 3 2012, 2:26 PM GMT

My point, really, is a general one in response to Dan's post...it seemed to suggest that a female character is either competent OR funny (just the way I read it)...but I don't understand your point either Marc, to be honest.

Come on my how to write a sitcom course and I will whip out my flip chart! :)

Quote: Marc P @ February 3 2012, 2:28 PM GMT

Come on my how to write a sitcom course and I will whip out my flip chart! :)

I shall bring my opera glasses, I'll be sitting near the back.