Current radio comedy Page 75

True, some of it creased me up though. I was listening to it trying to get to sleep, and the "done thing" bit absolutely cracked me up.

Quote: Kaytee @ September 2 2011, 12:46 PM BST

Agreed. The Castle was the dullest thing I've heard in a long time. Bits of it seemed very similar to Blackadder ('"Yes it is", not, "That it be"') but not in a good way.

Listening to this last night I thought it was more like a poor 'Allo 'Allo or Doctor in the House set in the middle ages as there were so many weak double entendres (e.g. "I'll take you up the South tower!", "Ooooh saucy"), lines that even the Carry On writers would've considered crass and old hat in the 1970s.

Also, it's set in the Middle Ages but contains modern references? One character referred to being "happy as a deaf, mute at a Westlife concert", now I know part of it was a satire on "Strictly Come Dancing", with Bruce Forsooth (one of the better gags) but it jars to have modern references in something which is supposed to be historically based, however loosely.

Quote: Kaytee @ September 2 2011, 12:46 PM BST

Agreed. The Castle was the dullest thing I've heard in a long time. Bits of it seemed very similar to Blackadder ('"Yes it is", not, "That it be"') but not in a good way.

Just for reference, I've listened to the latest series of Cabin Pressure which was, as per usual, totally excellent. However, they used the 'Men with a Ven' line that Superhans used in Peep Show.

Point being, good stuff on the radio can also be derivative!

Dan

I thought last night's The Castle was an improvement on last weeks. Still distinctly second division fare, though.

Quote: swerytd @ September 8 2011, 11:00 AM BST

Point being, good stuff on the radio can also be derivative!

Good to see your posts final have a point! Pleased

Once every five years or so is infinitely better!

Dan

Just listened to something called the Old Pretenders. I lasted less than ten minutes.

Who is commissioning this stuff at present? Do they have a sense of humour?

Have they changed the production team at NJ as well as the frontman? Thought most of it worked really well and am now thoroughly depressed about any chance of getting stuff on.

I've been loving this on radio 4 all this week

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b014f9q3

Patrick Barlow is great!

:( OH dear thought it dull as my washing up water, didn't cheer my day.

Pfffft!

Stick to doing the washing up missy

:)

Been listening to series one of Bigipedia; that's a great show! So much packed in, so many ideas, and it sounds like nothing else.

Just listened to John Finnemore's Souvenir Programme - one of the funniest sketch shows I've heard in ages. I love the writing.

:| I've just listened to the much hyped Mr.Finnemore and was very underwhelmed.

Do peeps on here write some of the jokes? I didn't even smile, must attempt sending something in.

Quote: dellas @ September 18 2011, 8:24 PM BST

:| I've just listened to the much hyped Mr.Finnemore and was very underwhelmed.

Do peeps on here write some of the jokes? I didn't even smile, must attempt sending something in.

No, it'd be mentioned in the writing opportunities threads. It would be very difficult for a radio show to have open subs and pass 'under the radar'.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ September 18 2011, 8:13 PM BST

Just listened to John Finnemore's Souvenir Programme - one of the funniest sketch shows I've heard in ages. I love the writing.

Totally agree, although I hoped for nothing less from him. Some of those sketches had 'classic' written all over them.