Benidorm - Series 1 & 2 Page 3

Quote: Wheeler @ February 2, 2007, 11:27 AM

Last night's episode attracted 5.3 million viewers and a 26 per cent share at 10pm, which is good news for ITV. Will be interesting to see if the show continues to be a success. I would put the ratings down to it being scheduled after the much hyped Bonkers. In a sane world the ratings would plummet now that Benidorm has been exposed as a load of cack.

Interestingly Benidorm managed to get higher ratings than Bonkers. Our news report with all the facts and figures and critics' comments is here.

You're right though Wheeler - the ratings are bound to plummet next week after it left so many people disappointed last night.

I wish I'd recorded Mock the Week instead (although fear not - MtW is repeated Saturday). I watched Benidorm after a few beers last night and didn't laugh once - not a good sign when a comedy can't make someone who's had a few laugh.

Quote: Wheeler @ February 2, 2007, 11:27 AM

Last night's episode attracted 5.3 million viewers and a 26 per cent share at 10pm, which is good news for ITV. Will be interesting to see if the show continues to be a success. I would put the ratings down to it being scheduled after the much hyped Bonkers. In a sane world the ratings would plummet now that Benidorm has been exposed as a load of cack.

Well, from responses on other forums Benidorm went down well, haven't seen anywhere near the amount of negative response as on this forum. I'm not surprised really. I for one will keep watching

Me too. I can't wait to find out what they've got in store for us in episode two. Hopefully someone will say 'f**k'. Fingers crossed that someone will have an affair. If we're really lucky, the middle class woman will continue to be miserable whilst her pathetic husband tries to flush the massive turd down their toilet (the turd will no doubt be a running gag throughout the series). And the tedious old git will mention his wife's vagina again. I'm counting the days until episode two!

ok then, sorry for liking it

That's OK. You're forgiven.

Quote: Wheeler @ February 2, 2007, 3:33 PM

That's OK. You're forgiven.

A bit crude for me,but will stick with it for a few more weeks.

Most of it was just an introduction to the characters and there was't much of a story until the end.

Because I'll save forming an opinion until there's been a few more episodes but I didn't think it was a very strong start.

Agree that people are a bit too quick to judge things on here sometimes. This was only a first episode, and a lot of first episodes are pretty ropey, series generally have to bed in a bit. I didnt think it was great, but there was the odd half amusing moment; Ill at least watch a second episode before forming a definitie opinion, see if things begin to blossom at all. And if it becomes funnier.

Hmmm, I wonder if they'll work in Sticky Vicky (don't ask!!!) or the endless Elvis impersonators and ex 60's pop stars who do the clubs there ... or the fact that just about every small shop is these days run by the Chinese ... the 'Happy Hours' (trick being to join 'em up for a whole night of sloshing it back two at a time), the 'twilight zone' hotels full of greys with the mandatory keyboard player doing 'the piano man' all night with said greys waving their arms about, or the cheap food places (full English breakfast all day for around a quid and everything else two or less), the 'three monkey' time-share scammers, and so on. Actually the fat slob/yob types are fairly thin on the ground in reality. Occasionally you get to hear a bit of "Clint-on if yer don't f-in be-ave you ain't gonna get ... etc.". I wonder where the SitCom was made ... not too many shots of cast with any Benidorm backdrop that I recognise. I suspect its all cuts to stock footage where necessary so it could've been done anywhere. My son worked on Cold Mountain (armaments) filmed in Rumania with most of those holding a gun being part of the local army dressed up for the occasion. Alexandria was on location in Morocco. Down the road from us we've got all the old 'spaghetti western' lots ... fascinating ... one minute you're in a frontier town (or at least the bit that shows!) but walk around the corner and you're in an old Mexican pueblo. Oh well, don't know why I'm trying to defend 'Benidorm' (the place) just because I, so far, didn't like 'Benidorm' (the SitCom). I think I'll go drink some more red!!!!

I thought it was quite funny. I particulary enjoyed the bit where that Scottish Man was going through his friends sex change in terrific detail. The David Nobbs Spanish sitcom was called Suntrap. Not as good as Don't Drink the Water, or Duty Free, but still very good.

These clips of the show are on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TnzuIU7Eco

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiLu0xpXhdc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV8AXp-nHU0

and an interesting link with details about the cast

http://www.tvrage.com/shows/id-15098

Well, what do you know, losaavedra, they did include Sticky Vicky and an Al Jolson lookalike!

This was much worse than the first episode, I thought. They must have said vagina about 10 times in this one.

It's run out of steam already and we're only two episodes in. The characters are all cardboard cut-outs and they waste scenes like nobody's business.

Are there any plots in this.....at all?

Quote: David H @ February 9, 2007, 9:44 AM

Well, It's run out of steam already and we're only two episodes in. The characters are all cardboard cut-outs and they waste scenes like nobody's business.

Yes, that's absolutely spot on but for all its faults, of which there are many, I still find myself drawn to it. Although not as sharp, it still puts me in mind of 'The Worst Week Of My Life' and perhaps, just maybe, we're aware that this programme actually reflects the kind of society we live in today. Don't know about anybody else but it scares the crap out of me.

"It's run out of steam already and we're only two episodes in. The characters are all cardboard cut-outs and they waste scenes like nobody's business.

Are there any plots in this.....at all?"

Really disagree with your comments. The only people that I know that don't like it are people who are offended by the language but it is on at 10.00pm and, hey, real people use that sort of language, so the dialogue is spot on.

The characters are well conceived, funny, believable and perfectly portrayed by a cast of brilliant actors.

The plot is moving along well with Telle's pregnancy providing lots of laughs, as the Garvey family are hilarious.

The storyline with Mateo the philandering waiter is also gathering pace and is well integrated with the other character's storylines.

And what are you talking about when you say they waste scenes????

I don't think it's a question of people being offended by bad language. I think the problem is that people would rather see genuine comedy rather than somebody swearing in order to get a cheap laugh.