Newsjack - Series 4 Page 22

When writing one-liners, do people write in Miles' newsjack voice? This is in regards to the filling and the links.

Quote: Blenkinsop @ February 14 2011, 6:36 PM GMT

Sent a sketch in yesterday afternoon. It's now six thirty over 24 hours later and...yep, you've guessed it. :(

I was on the web chat on friday as well, and it was the highlight to see your Q to them about what was going on with your submissions
This was me at the time
Laughing out loud

Quote: veedeeplex @ February 15 2011, 2:18 AM GMT

When writing one-liners, do people write in Miles' newsjack voice? This is in regards to the filling and the links.

If it is News Apps then no as they are meant to be the great unwashed (general public)
If it is a correction then yep.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ February 14 2011, 5:12 PM GMT

£18.

Wow, they couldn't even round up to a score!

I can maybe see the benefit of submitting a one-liner for the sake of adding another credit to the CV but beyond that I just can't justify giving a perfectly good joke up for the sake of a measly 18 quid. Surely getting a decent laugh with it on stage has to be worth that much?

Quote: Griff @ February 15 2011, 9:58 AM GMT

Why can't you still tell your joke on stage after it's been on Newsjack?

That's an excellent point - I withdraw my entire argument.

Quote: crake @ February 14 2011, 6:13 PM GMT

I just got a line credit for last week's episode! I had assumed someone else had submitted a similar one liner before me and got the credit, but sent an email and it seems there was an oversight, so I now have my first credit (after submitting material to almost every episode). So I certainly recommend sending a query email if you think a line sounds like one you wrote.

That's exactly how I got my only credit last series.

Quote: David Bussell @ February 15 2011, 9:45 AM GMT

I can maybe see the benefit of submitting a one-liner for the sake of adding another credit to the CV but beyond that I just can't justify giving a perfectly good joke up for the sake of a measly 18 quid.

a) You get to tell random strangers that you have 'written for the BBC' (but have to go a bit quiet if they start asking questions)

b) You have the respect of your peers.

18 quid can't buy you that.

Just sent off my one-liners. Mainly "app" one-liners and corrections this week.

Quote: Jinky @ February 15 2011, 10:49 AM GMT

ab) You have the respect of your peers.

He has no peers. He stands alone.

Hmm. Think may have fallen foul of the fact that a sketch two days ago about Berlusconi is less funny in the light of an actual underage sex charge.

Don't think I'm the only one who's fallen foul of that...

Quote: Griff @ February 15 2011, 9:58 AM GMT

Why can't you still tell your joke on stage after it's been on Newsjack?

Also I guess it depends on your writing aspirations. If writing radio comedy is where you want to be, then getting on Newsjack is the place to do it. If not, then no, £18 doesn't even buy a new Beatle wig.

Because the audience will boo you for plagarising the joke

Then you'll cry but I'm plagarising myself!

Then they kill you.

Got my one-liners off, including an inappropriate Berlusconi gag.

I'm a fool to myself but I too sent off some Apps.

*Drums fingers on desk and waits for "ping" and inbox icon to flash*

Yep. Got my automated reply.

What's that? You didn't get one...?

Quote: sootyj @ February 15 2011, 4:06 PM GMT

Because the audience will boo you for plagarising the joke

Has that ever happened? Not sure audiences think like that... They may say "heard it!"