10 O'Clock Live - Series 1 Page 10

It was alright. Bits were good (mainly Brooker), but it was patchy in places. I wasn't keen on Lauren Laverne's sketch, and I'm not exactly in agreement on Mitchell's attack on local news (although I do think that the culture secretary should be referred to as Jeremy C**t on every possible occassion because of his views on Murdoch and the BBC) but enjoyed Brooker's bit on Sarah Palin and Carr's opening bit.

Quote: chipolata @ January 21 2011, 9:47 AM GMT

I understand now why they stopped showing The Daily Show. In comparison this is very feeble indeed.

If you want a comedy which is as good as The Daily Show then you should broadcast The Daily Show (and The Colbert Report for that matter).

Pretty dreadful and at a time we need proper satire.

David Mitchell's rant on local news was ace, but frankly his recorded blog was better.

Jimmy Carr deserves a kick up the bum for rewriting his Stephen Hawking gag about Jobs, and a kick in the cock for making a Johnson Balls gag.

I think 6 farting Slitheen singing along to Murray Gold would have been better satire.

It was only a first episode, it's got months yet, it's bound to alter to try and find what works best.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 21 2011, 10:06 AM GMT

It was only a first episode, it's got months yet, it's bound to alter to try and find what works best.

Will the viewers stick around for that, though?

In Lauren Laverne's defence she had the funniest line last night about Ed Balls's wife not wanting to be called "Yvette Balls".

In the first section I was starting to think- 'Oh Dear', as they all seemed a bit nervous and I didn't feel it quite worked, but the more it went on, the better I thought it got.

As I suspected, David Michtell and Charlie Brooker produced the best bits. Also thought it was just coming into its own when they were all sat round the table at the end. So, I'll give it a bit of time to find its feet. It has the potenial to be very good - like has been said, it was only its first show.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ January 21 2011, 10:11 AM GMT

In Lauren Laverne's defence she had the funniest line last night about Ed Balls's wife not wanting to be called "Yvette Balls".

In 'Pun Land', yes she did. Only it doesn't quite work. Especially when the delivery is stumbled over, as Lauren did.

Quote: Tim Walker @ January 21 2011, 11:56 AM GMT

In 'Pun Land', yes she did. Only it doesn't quite work. Especially when the delivery is stumbled over, as Lauren did.

Well as a pun-lover it made me laugh, even if she did mangle it slightly.

Quote: sootyj @ January 21 2011, 10:04 AM GMT

Jimmy Carr deserves a kick up the bum for rewriting his Stephen Hawking gag about Jobs, and a kick in the cock for making a Johnson Balls gag.

I thought Hector Breeze did that gag first in the Standard.

Quote: Timbo @ January 21 2011, 12:04 PM GMT

I thought Hector Breeze did that gag first in the Standard.

Two people came up with the same gag?! :O

You're right then.

2 kicks up the bum for Mr Carr.

Quote: Tim Walker @ January 21 2011, 1:02 AM GMT

Namely that you don't need someone with "presenting skills" (i.e. the ability to stand, read and talk at the same time) on this type of show.

That is the problem I have with generic presenters in general - they are simply unnecessary. If an ex-professional footballer can be taught to talk to camera anyone can, so why not have someone who brings a little more to the party?

Also she did not have much of a role in holding the show together, as the show did not have her as a Frost Report style anchor, but moved directly from segment to segment. And she was required to be funny in the sketch segment, which appears to have been shoe-horned in to accommodate her meagre talents.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 21 2011, 12:08 PM GMT

Two people came up with the same gag?! :O

Hector Breeze got in a lot of trouble for the gag at the time, so I would be surprised if someone on the show did not remember the provenance.

Quote: Timbo @ January 21 2011, 12:16 PM GMT

Hector Breeze got in a lot of trouble for the gag at the time, so I would be surprised if someone on the show did not remember the provenance.

Not necessarily, you're making assumptions.

I did see you, Ellie.
Go me!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 21 2011, 12:19 PM GMT

Not necessarily, you're making assumptions.

It was a lame joke, whether original or plagiarised. Most of the pure gags in the show were of the same re-heated, predictable nature.