10 O'Clock Live - Series 1 Page 9

Quote: Tim Walker @ January 21 2011, 12:11 AM GMT

It's not a problem with Lauren Laverne per se, merely pointing out that she's a presenter with no real ability as a comedian. If she's there just to be the token female and hold things together (whatever that means), then fine. It's just that it does seem to be missing an opportunity to give a proper female comedian a lead role in a big new comedy venture. I'm sure the three boys involved wouldn't have felt that threatened by someone who can actually write and deliver jokes.

Look at the cast again - they each have different skills. There's only one proper stand-up comedian in it.

You're getting rather defensive about this, Badge. Is Lauren your bird or something? Yeah, sure, fair play to her, Lauren's the person Fearne Cotton could have been if she'd learnt to read books... Errr

Quote: Badge @ January 21 2011, 12:22 AM GMT

Look at the cast again - they each have different skills.

Just like The A Team. :)

Quote: Tim Walker @ January 21 2011, 12:30 AM GMT

You're getting rather defensive about this, Badge. Is Lauren your bird or something?

:$

My point is that people aren't saying get rid of Mitchell or Brooker and give a decent stand-up an opportunity are they?

Quote: Heart of Spyte @ January 20 2011, 11:07 PM GMT

It's not exactly Bremner Bird and Fortune.

Yes, but there are plenty of negatives too...

Quote: Badge @ January 21 2011, 12:30 AM GMT

My point is that people aren't saying get rid of Mitchell or Brooker and give a decent stand-up an opportunity are they?

And why do you think that is?

Mitchell and Brooker may not be stand-ups, but they have a proven track record of being funny (sometimes very funny) on television comedy shows. Lauren, bless her, has a proven track record of being the one you patiently sit through whilst waiting for Mark Kermode's bit on The Culture Show.

Quote: Tim Walker @ January 21 2011, 12:52 AM GMT

Mitchell and Brooker may not be stand-ups, but they have a proven track record of being funny (sometimes very funny) on television comedy shows. Lauren, bless her, has a proven track record of being the one you patiently sit through whilst waiting for Mark Kermode's bit on The Culture Show.

You have finally got round to my point without realising it. Mitchell is good at what he does and he brings that to the show. Brooker is good at what he does and brings that to the show. Laverne is good at what she does and brings that to the show. They have been cast to perform those roles. Saying the show would be better off with a comedian rather than Laverne is ignoring the reason for her being there in the first place.

Phew, thank God we got there in the end!

Yes, but can we now get round to my point? Namely that you don't need someone with "presenting skills" (i.e. the ability to stand, read and talk at the same time) on this type of show. You need people who can deliver funny lines well and are naturally witty. If you did need the 4th person in the quartet to have a different ability, it might be better to get someone with a particularly strong knowledge of politics and journalism, who also has a good sense of humour. However, again this would not be Lauren.

Or, taking up The A Team theme again, you could have three comedians and one person who spent the show converting utility vehicles into armoured tanks... Come on, Channel Four, if Frankie Boyle suggested that idea you'd call it "cutting-edge and provocative"!

Quote: Tim Walker @ January 21 2011, 1:02 AM GMT

Yes, but can we now get round to my point? Namely that you don't need someone with "presenting skills" (i.e. the ability to stand, read and talk at the same time) on this type of show.

That's an understandable viewpoint but not the one I had understood you to be making. In fact it wasn't the point you were making when you said this.

Quote: Tim Walker @ January 21 2011, 12:11 AM GMT

If she's there just to be the token female and hold things together (whatever that means), then fine.

Maybe three comedians and a sassy female robot who - hilariously - doesn't understand "this thing you humans call comedy"... and the whole show to last 8 mins? :)

(EDIT: The above made more sense when Badge hadn't edited his last post. Trust me.)

Quote: Badge @ January 21 2011, 1:07 AM GMT

That's an understandable viewpoint but not the one I had understood you to be making. In fact it wasn't the point you were making when you said this.

Yes, but I was also saying that to use the only female member to fulfil this role seemed like wasting an opportunity. I was saying that, sure, for just a presenting role/as a token female member, she was "fine" - but for the show overall, relegating the only woman to this limited role, is anything but fine. Really, if they're only going to only have one woman on a high profile new comedy show, why not choose a properly funny woman? There are plenty out there.

:( Didn't expect much new fantastic revolutionary TV, quite entertaining, mainly Mitchell, who I like always. At least a modest try at topical sarcasm and bott-spotting.

Quote: Tim Walker @ January 21 2011, 12:01 AM GMT

A somewhat shaky and nervous start but, hey folks, that's live television for you!... Except it didn't really feel much like live television. Despite having three of the current "big beasts" of British comedy fronting it (and Jimmy Carr), the rigid format of the programme smacked of a show lacking confidence in its own ability. Thus everything was regimented by strict segmenting and too much rigid adherence to the script. The audience seemed a bit too respectful and well-behaved too, as though they too felt constrained by respecting the pressures of live TV.

The "satire" involved was mainly nothing you wouldn't find on a run-of-the-mill panel show, i.e. topical gags which sound as though they have been written by (and for the benefit of) smug 6th form students. They didn't so much skewer the topics they went for, as simply throw paper darts at them (and, more often than not, missed). I was disappointed to see Charlie Brooker front a segment on Sarah Palin, the majority of which could have been written by any mediocre gag-smith in the last two years. Plus a segment on Tunisia which only seemed to demonstrate that the writers (apparently) didn't have any knowledge whatsoever about the political/social situation in Tunisia (nor really cared) - which is a bit of failure if you're trying to give your audience satirical content. yess

Predictably, the best and funniest bits were where the talent was allowed to do the kind of comedy they had become popular for doing. David Mitchell's "local news" rant (which, let's face it, was whimsical rather than satirical) was a highlight. However, when David came up against a proper politician (David Willetts), on a serious subject, he failed to land any blows whatsoever. It was a genial conversation, but the questions (which may have sounded challenging in rehearsal) were facile and easily batted away. Perhaps David didn't want a confrontational or adversarial debate with the Minister (which would be refreshing), but in the context of a satirical comedy show, it fell flat.

Jimmy Carr was as slick, polished and comfortable with performing live as you'd expect him to be. He's obviously the most comfortable as a presenter and should have his talents focused on anchoring the show. Brooker and Mitchell don't look comfortable when having to engage with the camera in terms of shepherding the broadcast along. Maybe their awkwardness will improve as the series progresses? Maybe not.

The best evidence that a good show could bloom out of this rather messy hotchpotch was the brief segment of round-the-table chat towards the end. Just having the hosts sit around a table and banter a bit should be allowed more of the running time. This is where the memorable material will come from. In general, the performers need to tell the producers to get out of the way a bit and just let them do some funny stuff. Enough with the format.

Anyway, hopefully this will improve as the wrinkles get ironed out throughout the series. It's got a long way to go though if it wants to be a satirical comedy show, as opposed to just another topical comedy show.

(Oh, and though I've nothing against her, why the appointment of Lauren Laverne? I realise that she's filling the role of "sassy token female" in the show, but was there really no proper female comedian available for hire? Someone, you know, who earns their living telling jokes, for example? Her 'Americanised' segment of world news was dire, both in content and performance.)

Cool Cool

Bloody hell. This show makes Newsjack look like Spitting Image.

Partly it seems like a vanity project to promote David Mitchell as the new David Frost. He was out of his depth. Terrible interviewer, nervously falling over his words. He doesn't need to blot his copybook with this shit.

Jimmy Carr, laboured as ever.

Laurene Laverne, pointless. Why not give this job to a 'proper lady stand-up'. There's plenty around, surely?

Brooker's stuff was the best of a bad lot, but he doesn't need his talents marginalised like this.

Soooo, I was there and can confirm it was completely live. The presenters read EVERYTHING and there was very little adlib and to be honest they were funnier when the cameras weren't running. Carr is brilliant.

It was really hard to concentrate on the actual show though as there was so much going on behind the scenes but I particularly remember Brooker's part being the funniest.

I think I'll watch on 4od in the hope of spotting my face.

Oh and here's where I was sat.

Oh and here back row to the right.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ January 21 2011, 8:32 AM GMT

Partly it seems like a vanity project to promote David Mitchell as the new David Frost.

I thought of Frost while I watched it, but to my mind, 'The New Frost' is just an obvious direction he could more toward, rather than one he's currently attempting...and failing with.

Having 'straight' politicians in the show is not conducive to humour IMO, they tend to suck all the life from anything they're involved in.

Quote: chipolata @ January 20 2011, 11:12 PM GMT

I'd lose Laverne and Carr, and make it half an hour of Mitchell and Brooker.

I totally agree with this, Mitchell and Brooker's pieces were the best bits and the only bits which were even vaguely grown up satire.

Overall it was okay as a show, not something I'd go out of my way to watch though, Mitchell's ranty bit was similar to the 2 minute video bits he does somewhere on the internet (David Mitchell's Soapbox) and Brooker was doing "Newswipe-lite", so even the good bits were a bit redundant and have been done better elsewhere.

Ultimately, I'm not entirely sure what the point of it all was, it'll get some attention early on for the novelty of being live but after a few weeks I can see it starting to tank.

I understand now why they stopped showing The Daily Show. In comparison this is very feeble indeed.