Lead Balloon Page 7

I didn't rate tonight's episode too highly - neither so far meets the overall standard of the first series in my eyes - but it was good to see Raquel Cassidy getting more of an opportunity to strut her stuff. Her tipsy scene was beautifully done, I think.

I thought it was brilliant. You know exactly what's going to happen and how cringing it's going to be.

Makes you feel good about yourself.

I thought it was great, especially when it turned out hed just invited his builder, and when the neighbour turned up with the other half of the dish. Good, good stuff.

Quote: Aaron @ November 22, 2007, 10:02 PM

Race has nothing to do with accent, so no, it's not racist. :)

I completely agree that it's not racist but it is a tad lazy.

Perhaps it's because I'm not really a fan of Jack Dee but this show just doesn't amuse me at all. It all seems very slow and predictable and there is very little imagination or inspiration on show.

Quote: Nick @ November 23, 2007, 12:59 PM

I completely agree that it's not racist but it is a tad lazy.

Perhaps it's because I'm not really a fan of Jack Dee but this show just doesn't amuse me at all. It all seems very slow and predictable and there is very little imagination or inspiration on show.

Im not a fan of Dee as a stand up either, dont not like him exactly, hes just never really done anything for me; but this show really appeals to me, which is odd seeing as how he writes it. And I dont see how the cleaner character is lazy, funny is funny as far as Im concerned, and shes funny!

strangely enough i like jack dee but not this show.

Quite liked the scene with the neighbours son and the petition though.

No real laugh out loud moments.

I love this comedy - it does make me squirm with embarrassment though! Michael the shopkeeper is the best character in it.

Is the girl who plays the cleaner actually foreign? If not she is a good actress

Petition scene: I thought that was painful (in the should-really-have-been-on-the-editor's-floor way, not the cringefest manner which seems to be so popular at the moment).

Michael the shopkeeper: Really not a fan of him. The character feels like an almost pointless 'anti-Rick', which could be accomplished far more satisfyingly through other means.

Cleaner girl: Don't think she is foreign. Pretty sure I saw her in something else earlier in the week, talking in a perfectly normal English accent. I'm far too lazy to IMDb/Wikipedia her to check though.

Which parts do you like aaron?

Nothing specific like that. In fact, I'm not actually sure at all. I just ... Like it. *shrug*

I guess Rick's bitchiness appeals to me. Although I have no idea why. Whistling nnocently

I'm still not sure about this show. I do like it and it is quite funny, but something just stops it being REALLY good (in the same way that I felt about Saxondale and the IT Crowd). Don't think Michael the cafe owner has been as effective so far in this series, but agree that Raquel Cassidy, if used more, is very good.

Decent enough episode this week, even though you could see the ending with the potatoe pie (or whatever it was) a mile off. Liked the mix-up with the builder although I don't think even Rick could be that bloody stupid to get it wrong.

Cleaner's off lots of comedies. Definitely English.

Michael the cafe bloke is my favourite character!

That cafe is far too big for my liking. Particularly since there don't seem to be any other members of staff!

I reckon it should be smaller, not quite a Mamma Joe's Greasy Spoon Truck Stop Café type thing, but definitely smaller in size and a bit 'lower' in terms of the cuisine sophistication.

Quote: Aaron @ November 23, 2007, 8:39 PM

Michael the shopkeeper: Really not a fan of him. The character feels like an almost pointless 'anti-Rick', which could be accomplished far more satisfyingly through other means.

How is that pointless? He's antagonistic without meaning it. He's the good guy and Rick is the bad guy, he's an nice, ordinary(ish) bloke who brings out some of the worst in Rick's character and creates some of the frustration in him.

He's like the annoying bitch you meet in the kitchen at work every morning. You've not slept, you burnt your shirt with the iron, there was no milk for breakfast, the exhaust fell off your car and you want to kill someone. She's always so fecking chirpy. Sorry, sidetracked.

Haha, yeah, good analogy there actually! I get what you're saying though, but it really just doesn't feel right to me, as a viewer. I'm really not sure how to explain it properly, but it just doesn't work for me.