Lead Balloon Page 4

Yeah, but since when have the reviews of a newspaper actually had any base or significance in reality?

I watched it. I only managed to see one episode from Series 1, the excellent 'Spoons' episode, so I was interested in it.

I thought it was very good. I agree that Jack, er, Rick was a bit too evil towards the car salesman, but everything else was well written, well acted and very funny. Dee reminds me of Gervais in a lot of ways. The supporting cast are very strong, particularly Rick's wife and writing partner. The daughter is a funny looking creature. is it really possible to breed two children as stupid and idle as them?

If anyone has the link to the site with the greatest (stupidest) quiz show answers, I'd love to read it!

Quote: Aaron @ November 16, 2007, 1:32 PM

Yeah, but since when have the reviews of a newspaper actually had any base or significance in reality?

When they praise the Conservative Party? ;)

Quote: Rick Skelton @ November 16, 2007, 2:23 PM

The supporting cast are very strong, particularly Rick's wife and writing partner. The daughter is a funny looking creature. is it really possible to breed two children as stupid and idle as them?

Agree. Think the supporting cast were excellent as always, and I don't think the American guy is as bad as others say he is. Magda, played by Anna Crilly, is fantastically miserable. She must have the longest face in any recent sitcom!

Quote: Rick Skelton @ November 16, 2007, 2:23 PM

The daughter is a funny looking creature. is it really possible to breed two children as stupid and idle as them?

Unless I'm misremembering (entirely possible), the boy is the boyfriend, not a son.

(But yes, she is. Anyone know what else she's been in recently? *scratches head*)

Quote: Frankie Rage @ November 16, 2007, 2:30 PM

When they praise the Conservative Party? ;)

Haha, well that's not exactly a review, is it? More political conjecture, speculation, and analysis.

Boy is her boyfriend, yes. She was on Vivienne Vyle. I love her. Cos she's so odd.

Vyle... Vyle... Hmm, who did she play? I doubt I watched it closely enough to recognise her from there.

She was just a runner type thing in the office. She may have only been in the first episode.

Ah, yes, perhaps that is where I'm remembering her from then. Thankies. :)

At the risk of being shouted at,I really didnt like last nights episode.The ending wasnt funny,it was just nasty.And the household falling apart without Magda just didnt make sense.Dees character works from home,why couldnt he go shopping/wash up/get grocerys over the net?He managed to buy a car.It may be nitpicking but even in sitcoms theres supposed to be some 'truth' and this felt false,given the characters.
I did laugh at some of the last series but this episode fell flat.Hope it picks up next week

Quote: niteowl @ November 16, 2007, 9:08 PM

And the household falling apart without Magda just didnt make sense.Dees character works from home,why couldnt he go shopping/wash up/get grocerys over the net?He managed to buy a car.It may be nitpicking but even in sitcoms theres supposed to be some 'truth' and this felt false,given the characters.

I thought that was obvious, because hes lazy and selfish and doesnt want too, I thought thats sort of why they had a maid in the first place.

I really liked it last night, a really good start to the series and very funny. It does seem that dees character is, if anything, a bit more nasty than last series, which I actually have no problem with, as long as its funny.

Quote: niteowl @ November 16, 2007, 9:08 PM

At the risk of being shouted at,I really didnt like last nights episode.The ending wasnt funny,it was just nasty.And the household falling apart without Magda just didnt make sense.Dees character works from home,why couldnt he go shopping/wash up/get grocerys over the net?He managed to buy a car.It may be nitpicking but even in sitcoms theres supposed to be some 'truth' and this felt false,given the characters.

I must admit that the ending didn't entirely work for me, but I wouldn't go as far as some of you lot have in saying that it's "evil". Just seemed to be typical Spleen trying to pass the buck to me.

As for him filling in some of the household duties, that would be TOTALLY out of character! Yes, he could easily have done so, but based on what we know of him, do you actually think he would? He'll put things off unendlessly, and as we saw, try and pass off to others whatever he can!

Agreed the ending was rubbish and also having Dee in every scene is a bit annoying but the show is good.

Granted I can't see him dusting the shelves,but he's not a character who likes filth,or is incapable.Nor is the wife.Though I did think the teens reactions were truthful and funny.Maybe its a class/lifestyle thing but it bugged me

The wife works, I think? And I'm pretty sure that no matter how much he may dislike filth, his laziness overcomes all.

Don't know anyone like that myself. Whistling nnocently