Whites Page 5

Andrew Billen in The Times gave this four (out of five) stars. Unbelievable.

I am obviously completely wrong on this. Indeed, if last night's offering was in anything other than appalling and dismal, then I think it's a sign that I don't belong anywhere near Comedy. I clearly know nothing and should have no further dealings with it.

Goodbye Comedy, I shall leave you alone now. Wave

Can people give some sort of critique instead of saying 'I liked it' or 'I didn't like it'. Afterall no-one cares whether you liked it or not they want to read reviews of the show.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ September 29 2010, 11:45 PM BST

Can people give some sort of critique instead of saying 'I liked it' or 'I didn't like it'. Afterall no-one cares whether you liked it or not they want to read reviews of the show.

I hope that's not aimed at me, Mr Taxis. I tossed-on for several paragraphs about my problems - many of which were about the show concerned. And in the process alienated myself from the last few remaining comedy producers who hadn't yet blackballed me.

Of course it's not aimed at you, you tit, you've written the longest critique here and probably the most cogent one.

It's just that people pop in to post 'I liked it' - like anyone gives a shit. Say why you liked it - why is it good etc. And of course it isn't good. It's a shambles in progress.

I thought it was so-so.

Laughing out loud

Quote: Godot Taxis @ September 29 2010, 11:51 PM BST

It's just that people pop in to post 'I liked it' - like anyone gives a shit. Say why you liked it - why is it good etc. And of course it isn't good. It's a shambles in progress.

Laughing out loud

Quote: Badge @ September 29 2010, 11:52 PM BST

I thought it was so-so.

Laughing out loud

Quote: Badge @ September 29 2010, 11:52 PM BST

I thought it was so-so.

Christ almighty.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ September 29 2010, 11:45 PM BST

I don't agree.
It's not the British Critics forum after all.
I mostly leave that to the people who are much better at it.
Whether they know what they are talking about or not.

I haven't watched this yet, but it is billed as a comedy drama, so I won't expect it to be that funny when I do.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ September 30 2010, 12:03 AM BST

Pleased

:|

Laughing out loud

Quite liked it, it was a bit slow and some of the lines were incredibly predictable but for a first episode I thought it showed promise and, of course, it's got a fantastic cast of good comic actors.

It was interesting enough to make me watch the second episode but I must admit the pace needs to pick up a little bit otherwise I won't be tuning in for later episodes.

I wasn't too keen on this show. I didn't laugh at all. I may have raised a slight smirk when Matt King turned up as The Butcher. On the whole though, I thought it was a poor offering.

I didn't feel like they established the world well enough, as when they mentioned it was a restaurant in a country hotel, I assumed we would meet characters from others areas of the establishment, which I would have preferred. I guess I wanted to meet more characters because the ones on show were not strong enough.

I didn't rate Alan Davies in this role at all. I didn't believe his performance, his character seemed too weak. I will watch next week, out of interest, just to see if their is any improvement.

I don't agree.
It's not the British Critics forum after all.

Well you've got twice as many posts as me Steve and you've been here half as long, so you don't leave it to other people all that often.

I'm not asking for a piece of journalism, just a few comments. And it's only a suggestion.

I notice this is another single camera location piece, BTW. What happened to all these studio audience sitcoms that the BBC was seeking to move back to? This could easily be a set and filmed in front of an audience.

I liked it. It was good and the characters were nice.

Seriously, following Walker's critique, for example, I was expecting awfulness. Perhaps that helped to drop my expectations. I found the characters to be engaging with a cast largely playing to type. Some nice relationships. And there were laughs to be had. The reversal at the end was rather poor however. (They weren't the right kind of publisher - doh!)

I don't it's worth a four out of five, but neither do I think that it merits a slagging.